concerned about range on used 2011 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screa34

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2011 Leaf and I'm concerned about loss of battery capacity since new. Is there a way I can determine what the current battery capacity is when I go look at used 2011 Leafs? I need to drive 70 miles round trip daily and can 220 charge at home after work, but I'd like to know if the car will go 80 or 90 miles on a charge for those times that I need it. I would like to know before I buy this a used Leaf and not find out after that it will only go 60 or 70 miles.

Any insight or direction is appreciated.
thx,
josh

screa34 said:
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2011 Leaf and I'm concerned about loss of battery capacity since new. Is there a way I can determine what the current battery capacity is when I go look at used 2011 Leafs? I need to drive 70 miles round trip daily and can 220 charge at home after work, but I'd like to know if the car will go 80 or 90 miles on a charge for those times that I need it. I would like to know before I buy this a used Leaf and not find out after that it will only go 60 or 70 miles.

thx,
josh

My 2011 Leaf could no longer do a 72 RT commute without charging in between after about 2 1/2 years, and that was keeping my speed under 60 mph. This is in the Los Angeles Area.

Unless you can also trickle charge at work, I don't think you'd be wanting to look at any of the Leafs, used or otherwise. Though a car with decent batteries could do 70 miles, especially if you keep your speed low and don't have to use much heat or A/C, you'd be pushing those batteries to the max every day which wouldn't be good for their longevity. Even a few hours of trickle charging would alleviate this.

To check the current state of the battery, you'd need to turn the car on and then count the small segments next to the range indicator. If you've got 12 small segments, the battery has at least 85-88% of its original capacity.

Without charging at work I would recommend against the LEAF for a 70 mile commute.
Even brand new you will be pushing the range pretty hard.
I do recommend a RAV4-EV if you are in CA.

Otherwise you need to move closer to work. And that is not a bad thing.

screa34 said:
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2011 Leaf...
thx,
josh

If you are looking at used LEAF's, get one of the many available apps and an inexpensive OBD2 reader and check the battery yourself. All the same data (actually more) that a dealer can view about the battery is available to you with one of these apps.

But, 70 miles is just cutting it too close, even with a brand new 24kWh battery. For high mileage commuters, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Toyota Rav4 EV with unlimited mile lease.

About $500 per month, with a 142 mile range when new at 65mph.

TLeaf said:
Unless you can also trickle charge at work, I don't think you'd be wanting to look at any of the Leafs, used or otherwise. Though a car with decent batteries could do 70 miles, especially if you keep your speed low and don't have to use much heat or A/C, you'd be pushing those batteries to the max every day which wouldn't be good for their longevity. Even a few hours of trickle charging would alleviate this.

To check the current state of the battery, you'd need to turn the car on and then count the small segments next to the range indicator. If you've got 12 small segments, the battery has at least 85-88% of its original capacity.

Thanks, Tleaf. I'm also looking at 2011's and would like a good way to discern whether a used car is worth pursuing. A question that I still have after seeing your reply about 12 bars showing is this: What if 11 bars are showing. 10? Are we down in the 50 mile range at that point? We have a 24 mile RT commute and a house in the hills (2400 ft) 30 miles away where we have 240V.

Back