Complexity of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it wasn't the main reason we purchased the LEAF over the Volt, the reduced complexity of a pure EV (versus one with a range extender) was certainly a consideration.

The article refers to Volt as having ICE connection to wheels, I always thought that the volts engine is really only used as a generator and electric motor always drives the car... Was I mislead by GM's speeches and GM is nothing more than a prius with bigger battery and a charger??

Under certain circumstances, the gas engine can couple directly to the drive train...

UkrainianKozak said:
The article refers to Volt as having ICE connection to wheels, I always thought that the volts engine is really only used as a generator and electric motor always drives the car... Was I mislead by GM's speeches and GM is nothing more than a prius with bigger battery and a charger??

I'm not particularly worried about the complexity. I've studied the drive system and it really isn't all that much different from the Toyota Prius, except with a few clutches added. The Prius drive system has proven to be reliable, more so than a regular car in fact. So I'm just not worried about that at all.

UkrainianKozak - The way I understand it the engine can only directly drive the wheels when driving over 70 mph. So for any city driving or even low-speed highway driving, the Volt is always electrically powered.

UkrainianKozak said:
Apparently they only use the mode which couples the ICE to the wheels above 70 MPH, which makes one wonder if it's really all that necessary. But it's certainly an amazing demonstration of technology! Perhaps such a feature would kick in at more normal speeds if they built an "economy" version of the Voltec system for some other car in the future.

There is a very clear distinction with the Volt when it has battery energy / EV_miles left by comparison to a typical hybrid or or any of the plug-in/PHEVs.

It STAYS running on the battery until it is drained and does this even up to 100 MPH and under hard acceleration. It is truly a "BEV" for the first ~40 miles. Compare this to the typical PHEV that uses the ICE for both hard acceleration or 62mph/100kph. Hence the "EREV" type of distinction vs PHEV. It us unique. No if's and's or but's.

LKK said:
TomT said:
Regardless of what the actual number may be - though 10 million sounds quite high to me - I VERY seriously doubt that when you consider all the systems in either a 787 or a fighter.
LKK said:
The Volt has 10 million lines of software code. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but that's more code than the Boeing 787 or a lot of fighter aircraft
I agree, but take a look at this: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/announce/volt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe that article is really saying there are over 100,000 lines of code, replicated nearly 100 times per car. That I can believe, knowing it came from Rational.

Ray

That talk about lines of code is a total BS...
It does not show the complexity nor quality at all. It's like comparing the complexity of human's brain to one of the elephant's or cow's (did you know cows had the same brain mass as humans?) by its mass or the number of atoms.

One simple line of high-level programming language, like google's app inventor can translate into tens of thousands of low-level assembly language commands.

This measure (lines of code) is coming from the times when programmers were using punch cards and it was a good measure of the programmer output. Nowadays, if you count just one instance of embedded Linux, that could be running on a single high-end microcontroller, just a single operation system kernel (same as Windows OS that runs your computer) that will do nothing specific for the car (just run the computer) will give millions of lines of code...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_lines_of_code

LKK said:
TomT said:
Regardless of what the actual number may be - though 10 million sounds quite high to me - I VERY seriously doubt that when you consider all the systems in either a 787 or a fighter.
LKK said:
The Volt has 10 million lines of software code. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but that's more code than the Boeing 787 or a lot of fighter aircraft
I agree, but take a look at this: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/announce/volt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK, that makes far more sense. 100K I can believe... So, far less than a 787 or fighter in that case.

planet4ever said:
I believe that article is really saying there are over 100,000 lines of code, replicated nearly 100 times per car. That I can believe, knowing it came from Rational.

planet4ever said:
LKK said:
TomT said:
Regardless of what the actual number may be - though 10 million sounds quite high to me - I VERY seriously doubt that when you consider all the systems in either a 787 or a fighter.<snip>
I believe that article is really saying there are over 100,000 lines of code, replicated nearly 100 times per car. That I can believe, knowing it came from Rational. Ray
Do you realize how small 100,000 lines of code is? That is ridiculous.

Text and videos here at the IBM site:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/announce/volt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IBM Rational software helps GM engineer the Chevy Volt
Innovation — like the new Chevrolet Volt — drives a smarter planet. With over 10 million lines of software code running on nearly 100 microprocessors, the Volt embodies the concept of smarter products.
Hear about the Volt project from the GM engineers who explain how IBM Rational® software helped them design and engineer the Volt in record time.

Herm said:
Many of the older automatic transmissions used in cars are more complex, and have a higher parts count than the transaxle used in the Volt. It is true that the Volt has many computers, many connectors with many discrete electronic components in those computers and so on.. but I would not equate a resistor similar to a gear in terms of car complexity. I would not count lines of code in terms of complexity either.. it is a fact that so far the Volt has been reliable.

The new belt CVT and automated manual transmissions are simpler than the old style automatics, yet many owners complain of reliability and performance. All modern cars are very complex.
I agree it is not just a VOLT issue. I am a bit reluctant to get into one of those 6 to 8 speed transmissions also.

I see a parallel to the steam engine in the 1950s. Steam got more complex and efficient and more powerful and still they were soon replaced with diesel-electric.

Back