Commute Comparison Predictions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvansvilleLeaf

My Leaf is still a month away but I'm already planning a commute comparison and wondering if I can get some insight or predictions from experienced Leafers who have done likewise. I have two ways to get to work:

a) 9.3 miles each way, approx 7 miles on a lightly used freeway with traffic typically moving at 67-75 despite 60 limit, plus a couple of miles of small city traffic typically 35mph with 6-7 fairly well sync'ed quickish lights and a wildcard of about a 20% chance of a 1-7 minute stop at a busy rail crossing.

b) 7.2 miles, approximately 5.5 miles on the busiest road in this metro of approx 300k. 3-4 lane each way divided carriageway with about 15 lights set up so that you never make very many in a row and which have fairly long (by Midwestern standards) lines during rush hour. Posted 50 which is usually exceeded between lights or through greens, then crawling through the line at reds. Remaining distance is light traffic 35mph backroads with only one light. Rail crossing avoided.

In the ICE option a is better as the highway cruising mpg and fewer brake/accelerate cycles more than compensates for the longer distance and occasional trainspotting. But the Leaf starts losing efficiency just when the ICE reaches its peak, stops altogether at train stops, and reaches peak efficiency at about the average speed on a divided main road in rush hour. Is that enough to cover the greater number of stops in the shorter commute?

Nobody can know for sure of course, but tips and suggestions encouraged on which I might expect to see come out ahead. Thanks to all in advance.

EDIT
Worth mentioning that while the area in general has a few gentle hills, this commute is pretty much flat by either route.

What's your goal? Absolute fewest number of watts used? Quickest commute? Most enjoyable commute? Highest miles/kWh?

What would you do in your ICE? The distances you mention should be no problem for the LEAF, even on the highway, but if you are looking to minimize energy usage, then the stop-and-go route might be better.

The great thing about the LEAF though is that you can try it one way for a week or two and then the other, and use Carwings it to measure your "stats", albeit not perfectly, but well enough to identify trends, and then you can choose which route you prefer based on which gives you the better numbers, or, if you prefer, since you have to make this trip every day, simply go with whatever one you enjoy better. Either way you'll be far ahead of what an ICE can do.

Keep in mind your heater or A/C in summer. Without climate control you're using almost no energy when stopped at lights, but with the heater running you're using a lot. This is such a short commute range is not an issue. I would pick the more enjoyable drive. My commute is almost the exact same length as option A with 90 percent freeway going 60-65 and I only charge to 80% during the week and 100% on weekends. We use the Leaf to run all of our errands after work too! To me, A sounds like a more relaxing drive. If you catch a long train you can turn the heater off for better stats.

lpickup said:
What's your goal? Absolute fewest number of watts used? Quickest commute? Most enjoyable commute? Highest miles/kWh?

What would you do in your ICE? The distances you mention should be no problem for the LEAF, even on the highway, but if you are looking to minimize energy usage, then the stop-and-go route might be better.

The great thing about the LEAF though is that you can try it one way for a week or two and then the other, and use Carwings it to measure your "stats", albeit not perfectly, but well enough to identify trends, and then you can choose which route you prefer based on which gives you the better numbers, or, if you prefer, since you have to make this trip every day, simply go with whatever one you enjoy better. Either way you'll be far ahead of what an ICE can do.

Yes I should have mntioned that. No range anxiety here - purely concerned with trying to reduce watts used. Neither commute is all that scenic or fun by the way. a) works best for the ICE but not sure it will for the EV. Will need a fair number of samples I guess to know for sure. They take about the same time, a) lowers the chance of accidents but also includes worse road surfaces, so it's a tossup I will defer to economy to decide.

My guess would be greater efficiency with option (b), especially if you can accelerate and decelerate gently at most lights. The stop and go of (b) isn't totally ideal, but compared to 70 mph on part of (a) and more miles with (a), I think you'll come out ahead with (b).

Enjoy your new LEAF when it arrives!

an 18.5-mile roundtrip vs. a 14.5-mile roundtrip?
take the one you like better.
I doubt it makes any real difference, especially as you are paying so little (other things being equal) to go the extra 4 miles.
that would cost me about 8 cents.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
Nobody can know for sure of course, but tips and suggestions encouraged on which I might expect to see come out ahead. Thanks to all in advance.
My advice is to drive whichever route you enjoy more. Either is well within the Leaf's range however you drive, and whatever difference there is in efficiency will be just pennies on your electric bill.

As you later said, your goal is efficiency for efficiency's sake. So you could drive (a) exclusively for a week and check Carwings and your EVSE records to see how you did, and then drive (b) exclusively for a week and compare.

My guess is that the best route will depend on how comfortable you feel driving efficiently on each route. On the freeway route, if it's lightly traveled you may be comfortable setting cruise control at the 60 mph speed limit (3.9 mi/kWh), or even at 55 mph (4.2 mi/kWh). Or you may find there are often trucks cruising at 60 mph which you can follow at a safe distance without incurring speeders' wrath. But if they tailgate you in the left lane, tailgate in the right, (maybe brandish the occasional firearm :), and intimidate you into driving well over the speed limit (at 75 mph you might expect 2.8 mi/kWh), then the freeway may not be the best route.

Similarly, on the city streets if you're comfortable coasting (with a light foot modulating the accelerator pedal) between stop lights, timing each to arrive just as it turns green, and gaining maximum regeneration when you do have to slow or stop, then you may get great efficiency. At 43 mph you may expect 5.2 mi/kWh. But if tailgaters intimidate you into racing to the next stoplight at top speed then slamming on the brakes, then the city streets may not be the best route.

All of which takes us right back to picking the route that you enjoy most. I'll bet you enjoy driving it more in your Leaf.

EvansvilleLeaf said:
Will need a fair number of samples I guess to know for sure.

Yeah, but the car and/or Carwings will do all the work for you. There are at least 3 ways to get average miles per kWh calculated for you, and if you have the right kind of charging station at home you have a 4th option as well. So you'll have no shortage of readouts to allow to easily gauge your efficiency, provided you do each different commute consecutively vs. back and forth (which puts the bookkeeping back on your shoulders). Have fun with it! It is a little like a challenge to get the best efficiency you can any time you are out in it!

Back