clunking noise when accelerating from coasting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LEAF makes a noise (sometimes) after backing up and then going forward. The first of two noises happens at 5 mph and sounds like a door or vane is closing. The second noise happens at 9 mph, is somewhat louder and yesterday, the noise sounded like a spring snapping back into position. The noise comes from the front of the car. The noises would not reproduce at the one year service so I am trying to determine how to reproduce the noises 'on demand.' Nissan has not heard of the situation. I may try to record the noise with my iPod. I would have said 'clunk' once but now I'd say it's the closing of something forward and low.

i was able to reproduce my clunk but only twice maybe in about 6 tries. i was backing out with radio on (its Sirius fault for giving me a free 2 weeks!) and pretty sure i heard it. its a metal on metal sound like old style auto transmission shifting from forward to reverse.

i turned off radio and shifted back and forth a few times and nothing. i gave up trying to reproduce it, put it in Reverse (still in the garage) and it clunked.

so i tried it again even tried shifting while still rolling a bit and could not reproduce it. so i know its there but cant reproduce it on command and it feel like a loose wheel or something.

i jacked up the car, checked all the lugs (i rotate my own tires and they are due) and all were tight. no play in any wheel so i dont know

charliet said:
My LEAF makes a noise (sometimes) after backing up and then going forward. The first of two noises happens at 5 mph and sounds like a door or vane is closing. The second noise happens at 9 mph and is somewhat louder. The noise comes from the front of the car. The noises would not reproduce at the one year service so I am trying to determine how to reproduce the noises 'on demand.' Nissan has not heard of the situation. I may try to record the noise with my iPod. I would have said 'clunk' once but now I'd say it's the closing of something forward and low.

Don't the doors lock automatically at 9 mph?

Cheezmo said:
charliet said:
My LEAF makes a noise (sometimes) after backing up and then going forward. The first of two noises happens at 5 mph and sounds like a door or vane is closing. The second noise happens at 9 mph and is somewhat louder. The noise comes from the front of the car. The noises would not reproduce at the one year service so I am trying to determine how to reproduce the noises 'on demand.' Nissan has not heard of the situation. I may try to record the noise with my iPod. I would have said 'clunk' once but now I'd say it's the closing of something forward and low.

Don't the doors lock automatically at 9 mph?
Mine lock at 15 mph.

I don't know if it's because I'm obsessing about it and notice it more or if it's really getting worse but I think my "clunck" is getting louder and more frequent. BTW, in my case, there is nothing to do with going in reverse or doors locking automatically. It happens most often while breaking when the car is about to stop and sometime when accelerating after having applied the breaking. Never noticed it after simply coasting. I'm just 3K away from my 30K maintenance visit at the dealer. I plan to have them check it out then. I hope it won't get worse and force me to go sooner.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I finally took my 2012 in for this clunk (between acceleration and coasting), which has been getting louder recently. They have had the car for the past 4 hours and still no update. I'm going to guess they will lube up something and give it back to me and it won't be fixed. I know it's either reduction gear or motor related.

kubel said:
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I finally took my 2012 in for this clunk (between acceleration and coasting), which has been getting louder recently. They have had the car for the past 4 hours and still no update. I'm going to guess they will lube up something and give it back to me and it won't be fixed. I know it's either reduction gear or motor related.
I had a clunk noise on speed changes (starting from dead stop, lifting off, braking, etc.) and it was a loose wheel bearing. They tightened it and all was good again.

I described the problem (clicking between regen and acceleration), but the tech (who I don't think was LEAF certified) wasn't sure what I meant by "regen". :shock:

Fast forward 5 hours, and it looks like the passenger side hub nut was loose. They torqued it down and they said that solved the problem.

They dispatched a shuttle to pick me up, which is nice considering they are 15 miles away (nearest LEAF certified dealer), but I'll be picking up a dead car that won't make it home because they left it running with the heater on the whole time! I asked if they could plug it when they dispatched the shuttle, and they did- but didn't push the charge timer override! I had to do it through carwings...

I'm left shaking my head. This was going to be a JD Power secret shopper visit, but I scheduled too late and the window expired. Lucky them.

Update: Car is fixed! But the battery was drained when I got there. Not enough to get back to work (I needed to get 15 miles). They apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a rental for the night (Versa Note). I sort of wanted to test drive a 2015 LEAF- perfect opportunity- but no go. Oh well.

Back