Clean, Green New Zealand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickdicks

Hi,
I've just taken delivery of a 2011 Leaf,to my knowledge the first in South Island New Zealand.
To buy a new one it would cost $59,000 as there are no subsidies here, however I got a 2011 from Japan for $30,000. The draw back is I know have to learn a new language as all the menus are in Japanese!
So no tax breaks, no infrastructure and to top it all the government want an extra $100 on road tax for an ev vehicle!!!
Clean, Green, New Zealand I don't think so...I can see it's going to be a steep uphill climb for me and my leaf!!

Nick

Hi Nick, welcome to LEAFdom. Here's a link to the only other Kiwi I know of on the forum. Maybe you two can commiserate.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

Thanks for that...Yeah Nissan dealerships have no interest here..I popped into one before I got my leaf and as soon as I mentioned getting a leaf he couldn't get me out of the office fast enough..you would have thought I'd got the plague!!
I'm just hoping that we aren't going to get any problems...do you know how important the battery health check is...we have some good car electrical engineers near us I'm wondering if they will be able to check them...i've read about gid values which seems a fairly reliable way to check the condition..a bit more research from me is needed...
Took my kids out today and told them that they were witnessing history..hopefully by the time they've got kids every other car will be electric..

Cheers nick

Still relevant today :(

Feedback I've received from multiple Nissan dealers:

"NNZ is working with our parent company to determine if it is possible to service and provide parts Japanese Domestic model LEAFs at our authorised LEAF dealers. No statement has been received at this time. Unfortunately there is no transient warranty for any used imported vehicle or new parallel imported vehicle including LEAF."

"There is very limited support for these vehicles. Nissan NZ does not provide support or parts for the imported vehicles. We can assist with some items, however this is limited."

"There are two Nissan dealers who are equipped to service leafs. Takapuna Nissan and Cockram Nissan in Christchurch, Both have been advised that Nissan new Zealand are not able to give assistance should it be required."

scouser84 said:

"NNZ is working with our parent company to determine if it is possible to service and provide parts Japanese Domestic model LEAFs at our authorised LEAF dealers. No statement has been received at this time. Unfortunately there is no transient warranty for any used imported vehicle or new parallel imported vehicle including LEAF."

"There is very limited support for these vehicles. Nissan NZ does not provide support or parts for the imported vehicles. We can assist with some items, however this is limited."

"There are two Nissan dealers who are equipped to service leafs. Takapuna Nissan and Cockram Nissan in Christchurch, Both have been advised that Nissan new Zealand are not able to give assistance should it be required."
Nissan and other BEV manufacturers are missing an obvious advertising campaign here:

[Cut to commercial showing pastoral scenery and nature sounds, for about ten seconds]

[Fade in caption]

"If Hobbits drove cars . . ."

[Fade in picture of LEAF, fade to caption]

"The Nissan LEAF. The Official Car of Middle Earth [or Hobbiton]."

[Fade Out]
I can see it now, NZ LoTR vacation packages, fly into Auckland, rent the BEV of your choice, drive to Matamata, etc. If the country's going to advertise itself to tourists as an environmental theme park, promoting BEVs/PHEVs/FCEVs seems an obvious step.

scouser84 said:

If Cockram can't help you, what BEV/PHEV are they selling/servicing? plugshare lists them as having a J1772....

My issue now is my leaf is still in transit.. And I've only made a down payment to the dealer so can still pull out.

If Nissan NZ won't even perform software updates or battery check.. I'm not sure if I should get it :-/

Maybe I am answering my own question.

It looks like they are selling NEW leafs there. When did they start selling them?

If you are importing a 2011-2012 or 2013 S, it is probably has different parts than the newer models, so even if they service Leafs, they may not be trained or have the parts for your older Leaf.

Living in NZ with a Leaf that is functioning well and using it in your town should be fine, as long as you have another transportation option. The issue will be when there are problems, you will have to import the parts yourself. For out of town travel, the charging network just isn't there yet.

Back