Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
RedLeaf Thank you for the response.

Can I still apply for the 10% rebate from the state if I leased?

Sorry, as is mentioned in earlier posts, leased vehicles are ineligible, you can find more information about this program in the first link below; to quote from the page:

"Eligible Applicants

Individuals, businesses, local government units, schools, or organizations located in Illinois are eligible

Entities that are not eligible include:

-Departments or agencies of the federal government
-Car dealerships
-Leasing companies or similar companies whose business is to lease or sell vehicles
-Companies that offer financial arrangements to vehicle purchasers
Rebate eligibility is limited to the purchaser and end-user of the qualifying vehicle"

if however you put in a home EVSE ('charger' system for 240V charging) and use a IL licensed contractor you can get a 50% rebate on the equip + install (see 2nd link); you'll find a lot of stories about these on the Chicagoland thread:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/index.html

http://www.ildceo.net/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm

According to that 2nd link, it seems that the EVSE rebate has ended and may re-open soon... is that correct?

"This program is currently closed. DCEO anticipates re-opening this rebate program again in the spring or summer of 2013. Program guidelines and application packets will be posted on this webpage when the program re-opens."

Also, I thought it was for 30% of equipment and installation costs... did that change? I mean, 50% would be awesome IF the program is actually running!

Your best bet would be to contact the program manger so I've sent you a PM with his contact info -- those of us who applied for this last year got 50% so if that's changed he would know -- unfortunately there are a few hoops they make you jump through but it was worth the check at the end for me, just like the EV rebate it's an actual check and not a tax credit, etc.

djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:
Speaking of the EL plates ... saw this absolutely gorgeous Tesla S sedan in Killdeer yesterday. May not show it in this photo but is was a very dark and deep green, almost black with a light tan or beige interior. Haven't been up close to one of these (other than roped off at a car show or passing one on the highway) so never got a feel for how big these are -- definitely BMW 7 series / Audi 8 in size. We also have a white Tesla S in our neighborhood with his EL plates -- they were in the mid 400's range.

WP_000157b.jpg

I got even closer to a Tesla Model S recently!

photo.php

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200412345645368&l=35c03d6b26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if not viewable.

Just 4 days before I took delivery of my '13 LEAF SL, I got to get behind the wheel of my clients Metallic Blue Model S. The test drive was pretty awesome but I didn't want to go full throttle on an $85k car that wasn't mine! Meanwhile, I'm lovin' my Super Black LEAF and only 3 days into it so far!

Yes, these Tesla S cars are starting to make their own statement when you start to see more of them on the road -- the dark green one I saw also had these huge wheels on it, they could have been 19" I suppose but thought they were 21" -- the spoke pattern looked a bit different to me, more a bit rounded than blade like. A dark blue would have probably been quite close to my favorite almost midnight blue I seem to gravitate to in several cars I currently own and have owned in the past -- not saying I don't like my Cayenne Red LEAF but the dark hues really show off the lines of it.

The IL 'EL' plates have actually been around for a number of years (starting with mostly ICE cars converted to run on electricity) so this photo on a Tesla S sedan at the Normal, IL opening of the Tesla supercharger station is interesting until I researched the back story; it's John Cullerton's (IL Senate President) own Tesla but w/o a registration sticker? Other photo shows about 8 Tesla's but only two have their front plates mounted (this # 1 EL and 406 EL)

Obviously some political clout helped getting him #1; kind of like Air Force One I guess ... also on the last link, Normal has L2 and L3 chargers as well as LEAF's can't handle nor are they 'allowed' to use this new Supercharger network, just Tesla's need apply.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/9152560726/in/set-72157634359923648

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitrainfan/9152549486/in/set-72157634359923648

https://www.normal.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=383

redLEAF said:
The IL 'EL' plates have actually been around for a number of years (starting with mostly ICE cars converted to run on electricity) so this photo on a Tesla S sedan at the Normal, IL opening of the Tesla supercharger station is interesting until I researched the back story; it's John Cullerton's (IL Senate President) own Tesla but w/o a registration sticker? Other photo shows about 8 Tesla's but only two have their front plates mounted (this # 1 EL and 406 EL)

Obviously some political clout helped getting him #1; kind of like Air Force One I guess ... also on the last link, Normal has L2 and L3 chargers as well as LEAF's can't handle nor are they 'allowed' to use this new Supercharger network, just Tesla's need apply.

Wow that's an awesome picture #1 license plate! (I saw the normal license plate #1 on a Mercedes in Old Town a few years ago). I wonder who's car it is!!!!!!!!

hyperlexis said:
redLEAF said:

Wow that's an awesome picture #1 license plate! (I saw the normal license plate #1 on a Mercedes in Old Town a few years ago). I wonder who's car it is!!!!!!!!

Would assume that it would belong to Rod B. the former and convicted IL Governor but perhaps someone else with just as much clout with the IL SOS

I spoke to the Nissan dealership on W. Irving Park Rd. in Chicago -- they are not currently planning to install an L3 Chademo fast charger for free use by Leaf owners. :( Dumb. They do have L2 chargers if you want to sit there for hours....

Perhaps if enough people contact them they will reconsider and put one in....

Evanston will supposedly have an L3 charger installed in the coming months.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I just bought a new Nissan Leaf in May. I've had some strange charging experiences recently in McHenry at Gary Lang Mitsubishi. Last week I went there to top off the battery and there were new cars parked in front of the charging station. I had enough range to get home so I just left. I tried again today and I was told that I couldn't use the EVSE in front of the building and that I would have to pull my car into the service dept. and charge. I was a little put out and again I left and went to a friend's house to charge. Is this typical for a non-Nissan dealership to do this? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks

L3 chargers at Lake Forest oasis are not working again, north and south bound. Unbelievable. I pull up to the charger last night after a show at Ravenia and there are no lights on the charger again. I call the number on the back of the char jit card and to my surprise someone answered the phone at 11pm. I tell the lady the location of the charger and she is unable to find it. She finally realizes that I am at a charge jit station and she informs me she only works with charge point and does understand why people are calling her office for nonoperational charge jit stations. I informed her that her company acquired charge jit but I don't think she was listening. Was able to limp to the L2 at Gurnee mills luckily.

lipower said:
L3 chargers at Lake Forest oasis are not working again, north and south bound. Unbelievable. I pull up to the charger last night after a show at Ravenia and there are no lights on the charger again. I call the number on the back of the char jit card and to my surprise someone answered the phone at 11pm. I tell the lady the location of the charger and she is unable to find it. She finally realizes that I am at a charge jit station and she informs me she only works with charge point and does understand why people are calling her office for nonoperational charge jit stations. I informed her that her company acquired charge jit but I don't think she was listening. Was able to limp to the L2 at Gurnee mills luckily.

This is no surprise to me whatsoever. I have pretty much given up hope on ever getting to use a Level 3 station in IL. You can't get a CharJit Card, half the stations don't seem to be operational anyway, and you can't contact the actual company nor get the new ownership to do anything about it. Should I ever want to get up to Milwaukee, it looks like it's side roads all day long for me.

I was in Chicago for the 4th with the family and I saw there was a CHAdeMO at the Lake Forest Oasis using plugshare. I was obviously leafless that weekend as STL to Chicago is way too far to do in a Leaf. It seemed there was many complaints about it being out of order or unable to be activated. It would serve a better purpose to not exist than to be there and unreliable.

djkjmuoh said:
lipower said:

This is no surprise to me whatsoever. I have pretty much given up hope on ever getting to use a Level 3 station in IL. You can't get a CharJit Card, half the stations don't seem to be operational anyway, and you can't contact the actual company nor get the new ownership to do anything about it. Should I ever want to get up to Milwaukee, it looks like it's side roads all day long for me.

I just got a carcharging.com key card to use to test on a Leaf with a chademo port. They took over for that criminal company 350green that ran those charjit L3s. Call them and they will mail you one.

But it is a shame on the state that so many (not all -- I have seen many charjit L3s up and running) L3s in the area are shut off. Gov. Quinn's office should hear about this. According to the governor and Mayor Emmanuel we are supposed to be the greenest state out there for EVs -- with so many broken fast chargers, and so many yet to be installed, however, that is no where close to becoming reality. The politicians need to hear from their constituents about these upsetting problems with chargers (esp. on the state tollways) or else nothing will improve.

hyperlexis said:
djkjmuoh said:
lipower said:

I just got a carcharging.com key card to use to test on a Leaf with a chademo port. They took over for that criminal company 350green that ran those charjit L3s. Call them and they will mail you one.

But it is a shame on the state that so many (not all -- I have seen many charjit L3s up and running) L3s in the area are shut off. Gov. Quinn's office should hear about this. According to the governor and Mayor Emmanuel we are supposed to be the greenest state out there for EVs -- with so many broken fast chargers, and so many yet to be installed, however, that is no where close to becoming reality. The politicians need to hear from their constituents about these upsetting problems with chargers (esp. on the state tollways) or else nothing will improve.

This is potentially wonderful news! Are you sure, however, that the card from CarCharging will work on L3 CHAdeMO stations? I know they acquired 350 Green but last I spoke with them, they only were able to issue cards for ChargePoint stations or load currently existing CharJit cards. Perhaps this has finally changed as I have not checked back in a few weeks? The crappy part is, the CharJit station I really want to use is the BROKEN Lake Forest one so I can get to Milwaukee! LOL. :-(

I do agree, we should contact the powers that be! Strength in Numbers!!! If anyone has contact info, post it and many of us can write letters and send emails or make calls!

This is potentially wonderful news! Are you sure, however, that the card from CarCharging will work on L3 CHAdeMO stations? I know they acquired 350 Green but last I spoke with them, they only were able to issue cards for ChargePoint stations or load currently existing CharJit cards. Perhaps this has finally changed as I have not checked back in a few weeks? The crappy part is, the CharJit station I really want to use is the BROKEN Lake Forest one so I can get to Milwaukee! LOL. :-(

I do agree, we should contact the powers that be! Strength in Numbers!!! If anyone has contact info, post it and many of us can write letters and send emails or make calls!

I have not yet tried it but I called the number and they said they took over and sent me the card -- so I will assume it works. You have to sign up online and pay a $25 deposit once you receive the card.

Did you try both lanes (north and south -- you will have to pay a second -- and third... toll)? :(

Go to Illinois.gov and call Springfield and complain.

hyperlexis said:

I have not yet tried it but I called the number and they said they took over and sent me the card -- so I will assume it works. You have to sign up online and pay a $25 deposit once you receive the card.

Did you try both lanes (north and south -- you will have to pay a second -- and third... toll)? :(

I have personally never tried using the Lake Forest L3 CHAdeMO CharJit stations but was going of what user LiPower stated in his previous post. I had driven by one side (unsure if Nbound, or Sbound now) before owning a LEAF and at one time noticed that one was not working and thus asked the gas station attendant about it and his answer was less than desirable in both content and clarity of answer. Basically, I saw it wasn't working and asked when and if it would be and he said, "No, Not working now." LOL.

I do always make it a point to use my PlugShare, ReCargo and ChargePoint apps and update with comments and photos of every station I ever attend whether I use it or not. If you ever use your new CarCharging card at a CharJit station, would you mind updating us all here on the forums as to whether or not it works and how much it costs per minute or per charge and maybe those apps if you use them!

Meanwhile, I think I will reach out to them again!

djkjmuoh said:
hyperlexis said:

I have personally never tried using the Lake Forest L3 CHAdeMO CharJit stations but was going of what user LiPower stated in his previous post. I had driven by one side (unsure if Nbound, or Sbound now) before owning a LEAF and at one time noticed that one was not working and thus asked the gas station attendant about it and his answer was less than desirable in both content and clarity of answer. Basically, I saw it wasn't working and asked when and if it would be and he said, "No, Not working now." LOL.

I do always make it a point to use my PlugShare, ReCargo and ChargePoint apps and update with comments and photos of every station I ever attend whether I use it or not. If you ever use your new CarCharging card at a CharJit station, would you mind updating us all here on the forums as to whether or not it works and how much it costs per minute or per charge and maybe those apps if you use them!

Meanwhile, I think I will reach out to them again!

Thank you to anyone who sends updated information for these chargers (esp L3). I always report them through the ADFC, and they do take action on it. They got the L2 and L3 chargers turned on at Golf Mill mall/PNC Bank after I complained. Here is the link http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also see my post on 4/22 @ 1:33PM.

I have made several complaints about the L2 and L3 charger at the Walgreens on Lincoln just south of Foster, and I noticed that those have been removed from the stations in my Leaf. I would rather that they not show up in my nav if they are dead.

UPDATE -- I just tried using the keyring card that Carcharging.com mailed me, and it totally would not work on an L3 charger in Chicago (Western Ave. Jewel parking lot.)

I called the 800 number on the charger (the old number for 350green, and got transferred to carcharging.com's system. The guy who answered said than no, whoever sent me their card was wrong, it will not work on the "Charjit" chademo chargers that 350green owned. He also said you must have a separate charjit card, and they had no idea if or when carcharging.com will be able to supply them.

A manager called me about an hour later and said it is true, they now own all the 350green L3 chargers, but the manufacturer of the chargers says 350green owes them money, so they will not allow carcharging.com to issue any Charjit cards... The manager said he understands the problem, but they just don't know anything yet. He also said they went from being a small company to now one that owns thousands of chargers to deal with. Well you'd think they would know about the 350green debt disputes after spending millions of dollars to buy them.... And would make sure the L3s were their's free and clear to operate when the deal closed.

This would be funny if it wasn't so absolutely insane. What a disaster. So now the only folks who can use the L3s in Illinois are basically those with old Charjit cards. Because I don't know of any chademo stations in the Chicago area other than those owned by defunct 350green, including all the tollway chargers.

Why didn't the state just buy these stupid things on its own? Install hundreds of QC units along strategic routes, make them publically available for free, and really do something for the public when the state says it wants to be the greenest in the US.

Oh no, instead it tried to privatize things, giving money to a company operated by scam artists, who, to make matters worse, in turn, charged people exorbitant rates for each QC session, and relied on proprietary access cards. Total BS.

I hope Nissan puts its free L3 chargers in every one of its dealers in the US and drives inept, for-profit companies like carcharging.com/350green out of business. If the other states or feds wont directly install public units themselves (like in California and other progressive areas) then Nissan and Tesla should pick up the slack. Otherwise EV sales growth will remain stunted by poor QC availability.

Companies like these are the Blackwaters of the EV industry.

hyperlexis said:
UPDATE -- I just tried using the keyring card that Carcharging.com mailed me, and it totally would not work on an L3 charger in Chicago (Western Ave. Jewel parking lot.)

I called the 800 number on the charger (the old number for 350green, and got transferred to carcharging.com's system. The guy who answered said than no, whoever sent me their card was wrong, it will not work on the "Charjit" chademo chargers that 350green owned. He also said you must have a separate charjit card, and they had no idea if or when carcharging.com will be able to supply them.

A manager called me about an hour later and said it is true, they now own all the 350green L3 chargers, but the manufacturer of the chargers says 350green owes them money, so they will not allow carcharging.com to issue any Charjit cards... The manager said he understands the problem, but they just don't know anything yet. He also said they went from being a small company to now one that owns thousands of chargers to deal with. Well you'd think they would know about the 350green debt disputes after spending millions of dollars to buy them.... And would make sure the L3s were their's free and clear to operate when the deal closed.

This would be funny if it wasn't so absolutely insane. What a disaster. So now the only folks who can use the L3s in Illinois are basically those with old Charjit cards. Because I don't know of any chademo stations in the Chicago area other than those owned by defunct 350green, including all the tollway chargers.

Why didn't the state just buy these stupid things on its own? Install hundreds of QC units along strategic routes, make them publically available for free, and really do something for the public when the state says it wants to be the greenest in the US.

Oh no, instead it tried to privatize things, giving money to a company operated by scam artists, who, to make matters worse, in turn, charged people exorbitant rates for each QC session, and relied on proprietary access cards. Total BS.

I hope Nissan puts its free L3 chargers in every one of its dealers in the US and drives inept, for-profit companies like carcharging.com/350green out of business. If the other states or feds wont directly install public units themselves (like in California and other progressive areas) then Nissan and Tesla should pick up the slack. Otherwise EV sales growth will remain stunted by poor QC availability.

Totally agree.

greengate said:
hyperlexis said:

Totally agree.

Agree as well.

Just an FYI for anyone that cares... I recently spoke with Kate Tomford from the Illinois Energy Office at the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity. She was very courteous and reiterated all things I already knew about 350 Green and CarCharging (though she did pretty much tell my HyperLexis' new card wouldn't work before I read these recent posts, sorry 'bout that, was hoping she was wrong.) She did however tell me that the City of Chicago (the main player) and the State of Illinois (kind of a sidekick to the city) are putting pressure on CarCharging to get the ball rolling and here's how... **deep breath** here we go...

Basically you are right, Efacec, the Portuguese manufacturer of CharJit stations is owed money by 350 Green, who put them up. CarCharging bought 350 Green and knows they now inherited the debt owed to Efacec and as such can't issue new CharJit cards. They also know there are tons of malfunctioned CharJit stations needing repair.

Problem for them, and therefore us, is that they are entangled in a lawsuit with the locally based JNS Holdings who also entered into a contract with 350 Green. CarCharging does not want to invest more $$$ into fixing these stations or into paying off Efacec when, in their eyes, they might still be at risk for losing the legal battle with JNS Holdings. Basically CarCharging thinks "Why pay all this money to fix stuff when we may lose a lawsuit and the winning company gets the benefit of all our work/investment?"

I can't say I blame them for waiting for a legal outcome. This contract was not an outright purchase agreement, however, so in the eyes of the City and State, CarCharging OWNS 350 Green and should act as if they do without regard for the "What IF?" possibilities of losing a legal battle. The City and State unofficially feel that there is no chance they will lose to JNS too since JNS-Green deal wasn't a full buyout, just an agreement. Moreover, the City and State feel CarCharging should payoff Efacec, fix broken stations, build new ones, and issue new cards NOW and is pressuring them to do so apparently. They are encouraging CarCharging, if they should lose to JNS, to then counter sue to recoup the work/investments put into doing all the payoffs, fixing, card issuing, new station construction, etc.

... Well that was a mouthful. I'll be keeping tabs with this Kate Tomford every so often and will keep you updated. May reach out to her at the end of August/beginning of September. She was also very helpful with info regarding the IL rebates on in-home L2 EVSE's but that's for another thread.

djkjmuoh said:
greengate said:
hyperlexis said:

Totally agree.

Agree as well.

Just an FYI for anyone that cares... I recently spoke with Kate Tomford from the Illinois Energy Office at the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity. She was very courteous and reiterated all things I already knew about 350 Green and CarCharging (though she did pretty much tell my HyperLexis' new card wouldn't work before I read these recent posts, sorry 'bout that, was hoping she was wrong.) She did however tell me that the City of Chicago (the main player) and the State of Illinois (kind of a sidekick to the city) are putting pressure on CarCharging to get the ball rolling and here's how... **deep breath** here we go...

Basically you are right, Efacec, the Portuguese manufacturer of CharJit stations is owed money by 350 Green, who put them up. CarCharging bought 350 Green and knows they now inherited the debt owed to Efacec and as such can't issue new CharJit cards. They also know there are tons of malfunctioned CharJit stations needing repair.

Problem for them, and therefore us, is that they are entangled in a lawsuit with the locally based JNS Holdings who also entered into a contract with 350 Green. CarCharging does not want to invest more $$$ into fixing these stations or into paying off Efacec when, in their eyes, they might still be at risk for losing the legal battle with JNS Holdings. Basically CarCharging thinks "Why pay all this money to fix stuff when we may lose a lawsuit and the winning company gets the benefit of all our work/investment?"

I can't say I blame them for waiting for a legal outcome. This contract was not an outright purchase agreement, however, so in the eyes of the City and State, CarCharging OWNS 350 Green and should act as if they do without regard for the "What IF?" possibilities of losing a legal battle. The City and State unofficially feel that there is no chance they will lose to JNS too since JNS-Green deal wasn't a full buyout, just an agreement. Moreover, the City and State feel CarCharging should payoff Efacec, fix broken stations, build new ones, and issue new cards NOW and is pressuring them to do so apparently. They are encouraging CarCharging, if they should lose to JNS, to then counter sue to recoup the work/investments put into doing all the payoffs, fixing, card issuing, new station construction, etc.

... Well that was a mouthful. I'll be keeping tabs with this Kate Tomford every so often and will keep you updated. May reach out to her at the end of August/beginning of September. She was also very helpful with info regarding the IL rebates on in-home L2 EVSE's but that's for another thread.

Great writeup.

Gives me some hope that this will someday, (sooner rather than later,) be resolved.

(About two weeks ago I wrote to the man who wrote the long article about this in The Chicago Tribune asking for a followup, but never heard and was about to write or call again...now I won't have to. If I ever do hear from him, I will let you know.)

Back