Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwallach said:
"EV System warning light" along with the "yellow master warning light" came on today. Went back home and parked the car for a while. Started again and warning lights went away. Drove a little...

As of right now I am still able to drive, however this is VERY disconcerting. The car just came back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer with new battery cells.. Now what?
That's just awful. Maybe the techs are not used to deal with this kind of problem and are learning on the job.

lukati said:
bwallach said:
"EV System warning light" along with the "yellow master warning light" came on today. Went back home and parked the car for a while. Started again and warning lights went away. Drove a little...

As of right now I am still able to drive, however this is VERY disconcerting. The car just came back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer with new battery cells.. Now what?
That's just awful. Maybe the techs are not used to deal with this kind of problem and are learning on the job.

You’re probably right, I bet they haven’t worked on these cars much yet.

I hope you took it back to the dealer. If the same cell is the problem, it could be something in the regulator for that cell instead of the cell itself. I hope it’s not a new problem.

Does anyone drive their Leaf to the point where they are close to running out of juice on a frequent basis? If you do...can you confirm my calculations? I use these calculations, and I feel that they are pretty accurate, but I haven't been real close to the bottom of the range very often.

80% charge. Range is efficiency (miles per kwh) * 12.
100% charge. Range is efficiency (miles per kwh) * 16.

What I do is reset one of my mileage trip gauges in the morning AND reset the miles per kwh readout in the Energy screen.

So if I think I'll average 4 miles per kwh, and I am charged to 80%, then I plan on going no more than 48 miles. The guess-o-meter is useless to me.

Dino said:
lukati said:
bwallach said:

I hope you took it back to the dealer. If the same cell is the problem, it could be something in the regulator for that cell instead of the cell itself. I hope it’s not a new problem.

Thanks for the sentiment. Car was towed back to the dealer on Thursday. Only one EV guy at dealer who is at a seminar till Monday..still waiting for diagnosis..

bwallach said:
lukati said:
bwallach said:

Thanks for the sentiment. Car was towed back to the dealer on Thursday. Only one EV guy at dealer who is at a seminar till Monday..still waiting for diagnosis..

LOL, probably at an emergency "Seminar" on how to fix this very problem! Good luck!

brianchi73 said:
Does anyone drive their Leaf to the point where they are close to running out of juice on a frequent basis? If you do...can you confirm my calculations? I use these calculations, and I feel that they are pretty accurate, but I haven't been real close to the bottom of the range very often.

What I do is reset one of my mileage trip gauges in the morning AND reset the miles per kwh readout in the Energy screen.

So if I think I'll average 4 miles per kwh, and I am charged to 80%, then I plan on going no more than 48 miles. The guess-o-meter is useless to me.

I've only had the low battery warning a few times. I've never had very low or turtle mode. A new battery is supposedly 21kWh with 20 being usable. So I think you can increase your numbers from 12-16 to 16-20 for a new battery. Or maybe 15-19 would be safer. But when it's cold you lose efficiency AND capacity. The loss of efficiency will give you a lower mi/kWh reading but I don't know how much capacity you lose due to the cold. The range chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) seems to indicate a loss of 1% for ever 4 degF under 70F. I hate that ridiculously optimistic guess-o-meter too.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Finally got our plates (in Illinois) number 813. Had hoped the state was at a higher number by now.

Car runs great.

Congrats -- the numbers are actually starting to ramp up faster than you might expect in IL but still a drop in the bucket versus the number of cars registered in IL overall. It still amazes me a bit that a number of new LEAF owners in IL were not given an opportunity (by their dealer or simply it was unknown) that they could get a lower cost 'EL' plate with the number of regular plated LEAF's I've been running into. I can certainly understand those with vanity and/or special plates (route 66 or Environmental, etc.) simply transferring them but at only $18/year plus a simple low number aspect why not get one? They look a bit more impressive on a sleek Tesla S, almost rock star status, but it adds something special none the less --- let's see what EV breaks the 4-digit mark in IL; Tesla, LEAF, Mitsu 'i', Ford Focus EV or perhaps a smart Ed or even a Th!nk (still have a few running around) or even an out of state 'import' Fiat 500e, Toyota Rav4 EV, etc. whose it going to be?

brianchi73 said:
bwallach said:
Here is what is on the service report:
"Battery module MD31 cell 61 and 62 compromised
replaced battery module md31. removed battery tray. removed
battery module md31. replaced md31. reinstalled battery tray
and restored all electrical power. test drove vehicle after
repairs and vehicle is operating as designed at this time"

The service manager at the dealership was very helpful and communicative throughout the process and Nissan covered everything (the tow, the loaner, and the repairs). However, I still have concerns as to 'why' this happened and if this will occur again. Time will tell I guess..

I think it's just a matter of statistics really. It looks like there are 48 modules in the battery pack of each Leaf. Not sure how many have failed, but 48 x the # of Leafs manufactured has got to be a pretty big number. I think the big question, for any owners, is how much would it have cost to get that done if you're outside of the warranty period. Does your service report give any indication of that?

Were you able to see the details (on their shop documents....) -- how much did Nissan get billed/reimburse the dealer for each new cell they replaced????????

hyperlexis said:
brianchi73 said:
bwallach said:
Here is what is on the service report:
"Battery module MD31 cell 61 and 62 compromised
replaced battery module md31. removed battery tray. removed
battery module md31. replaced md31. reinstalled battery tray
and restored all electrical power. test drove vehicle after
repairs and vehicle is operating as designed at this time"

The service manager at the dealership was very helpful and communicative throughout the process and Nissan covered everything (the tow, the loaner, and the repairs). However, I still have concerns as to 'why' this happened and if this will occur again. Time will tell I guess..

I think it's just a matter of statistics really. It looks like there are 48 modules in the battery pack of each Leaf. Not sure how many have failed, but 48 x the # of Leafs manufactured has got to be a pretty big number. I think the big question, for any owners, is how much would it have cost to get that done if you're outside of the warranty period. Does your service report give any indication of that?

Were you able to see the details (on their shop documents....) -- how much did Nissan get billed/reimburse the dealer for each new cell they replaced????????

Nope. That information was not made available to me.

Was up at the Evanston Nissan dealership the other day (that had an S that sold before I got there -- the salesman told me they are supposedly getting an L3 charger installed, as per Nissan, and will offer free usage to Leaf drivers (if you bought from them.... -- however I am sure all Leaf owners will be able to hook up free).

This definitely makes me want to buy from them, however there is a slightly closer dealer to my home and I am not sure if they will be getting one.

Any news on any other Chicago Nissan dealers getting L3 chargers in the future?

This could be a game changer for me because I would still have to rely on public charging for a Leaf.

If Nissan offered L3 charging at every one of its dealers in the US it may even make coast-to-coast travel a real possibility. (Covered wagon slow, but at least possible.)

Dino said:
brianchi73 said:

I've only had the low battery warning a few times. I've never had very low or turtle mode. A new battery is supposedly 21kWh with 20 being usable. So I think you can increase your numbers from 12-16 to 16-20 for a new battery. Or maybe 15-19 would be safer. But when it's cold you lose efficiency AND capacity. The loss of efficiency will give you a lower mi/kWh reading but I don't know how much capacity you lose due to the cold. The range chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) seems to indicate a loss of 1% for ever 4 degF under 70F. I hate that ridiculously optimistic guess-o-meter too.

Thanks Dino. I forgot to figure in capacity loss. I was thinking of that as something permanent, but I guess it can fluctuate between seasons. Maybe my 12 and 16 is okay for winter, but in other seasons I can bump it up a little. I think the new battery is 24kWh, but like you said probably only 20 (or less) can be used.

I need some help. Just got my EV plate (in Illinois) and a sticker that expires on 12/13. I had thought I had paid $35 for 2 years? The fee on the included bill was $113. Has anyone run into this, and can explain what is the situation? Do I need to renew after 6 months for the 2 years?

DougWantsALeaf said:
I need some help. Just got my EV plate (in Illinois) and a sticker that expires on 12/13. I had thought I had paid $35 for 2 years? The fee on the included bill was $113. Has anyone run into this, and can explain what is the situation? Do I need to renew after 6 months for the 2 years?

Sounds like your dealer charged you correctly on the plates + new title but you'll need to look specifically at what the registration fees, plate fees, etc. on the what they gave you as far as a paid invoice, plus you'll need this 'paid' invoice to get your 10% MSRP IL EPA rebate back as well (hopefully you already know about that one!). There is a pro-rated or reduced fee for the electric vehicle 'EL' plates as these are issued just like IL RV plates every two years from the IL SOS on a set schedule. We bought our '12 LEAF in December of 2011 so ours were the full price and good until December of 2013. As your car was purchased sometime after Dec 15th of the second year but probably before June 14 the fee is $18 -- if it was registered after June 15 the fee drops to $9 (see schedule in the link below). Your $113 is probably the $18 plate fee + $95 for a new vehicle title.

A simple call to the dealer finance manager where you bought the car should explain as however they break out the new registration & plate fees, etc. on your bill as well as the whole 'doc' fees (typically charge the maximum the state allows) to get all this paperwork done.

You are correct in that your plates are only good until Dec '13 and you'll need to renew them like all of us with 'EL' plates --- folks with LEAF's from other states pay much more at registration time so I actually consider us lucky to pay so little + with the 10% IL EPA rebate it makes it that much better (of course you need to purchase and not lease the car to be eligible)

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd522.pdf

Speaking of the EL plates ... saw this absolutely gorgeous Tesla S sedan in Killdeer yesterday. May not show it in this photo but is was a very dark and deep green, almost black with a light tan or beige interior. Haven't been up close to one of these (other than roped off at a car show or passing one on the highway) so never got a feel for how big these are -- definitely BMW 7 series / Audi 8 in size. We also have a white Tesla S in our neighborhood with his EL plates -- they were in the mid 400's range.

WP_000157b.jpg

redLEAF said:
Speaking of the EL plates ... saw this absolutely gorgeous Tesla S sedan in Killdeer yesterday. May not show it in this photo but is was a very dark and deep green, almost black with a light tan or beige interior. Haven't been up close to one of these (other than roped off at a car show or passing one on the highway) so never got a feel for how big these are -- definitely BMW 7 series / Audi 8 in size. We also have a white Tesla S in our neighborhood with his EL plates -- they were in the mid 400's range.

I am seeing 1-2 per day now around the north shore. This is quite a dramatic development.

DougWantsALeaf said:
RedLeaf Thank you for the response.

Can I still apply for the 10% rebate from the state if I leased?

Sorry, as is mentioned in earlier posts, leased vehicles are ineligible, you can find more information about this program in the first link below; to quote from the page:

"Eligible Applicants

Individuals, businesses, local government units, schools, or organizations located in Illinois are eligible

Entities that are not eligible include:

-Departments or agencies of the federal government
-Car dealerships
-Leasing companies or similar companies whose business is to lease or sell vehicles
-Companies that offer financial arrangements to vehicle purchasers
Rebate eligibility is limited to the purchaser and end-user of the qualifying vehicle"

if however you put in a home EVSE ('charger' system for 240V charging) and use a IL licensed contractor you can get a 50% rebate on the equip + install (see 2nd link); you'll find a lot of stories about these on the Chicagoland thread:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/index.html

http://www.ildceo.net/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm

redLEAF said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
RedLeaf Thank you for the response.

Can I still apply for the 10% rebate from the state if I leased?

Sorry, as is mentioned in earlier posts, leased vehicles are ineligible, you can find more information about this program in the first link below; to quote from the page:

"Eligible Applicants

Individuals, businesses, local government units, schools, or organizations located in Illinois are eligible

Entities that are not eligible include:

-Departments or agencies of the federal government
-Car dealerships
-Leasing companies or similar companies whose business is to lease or sell vehicles
-Companies that offer financial arrangements to vehicle purchasers
Rebate eligibility is limited to the purchaser and end-user of the qualifying vehicle"

if however you put in a home EVSE ('charger' system for 240V charging) and use a IL licensed contractor you can get a 50% rebate on the equip + install (see 2nd link); you'll find a lot of stories about these on the Chicagoland thread:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/index.html

http://www.ildceo.net/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm

According to that 2nd link, it seems that the EVSE rebate has ended and may re-open soon... is that correct?

"This program is currently closed. DCEO anticipates re-opening this rebate program again in the spring or summer of 2013. Program guidelines and application packets will be posted on this webpage when the program re-opens."

Also, I thought it was for 30% of equipment and installation costs... did that change? I mean, 50% would be awesome IF the program is actually running!

redLEAF said:

WP_000157b.jpg

I got even closer to a Tesla Model S recently!

photo.php

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200412345645368&l=35c03d6b26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if not viewable.

Just 4 days before I took delivery of my '13 LEAF SL, I got to get behind the wheel of my clients Metallic Blue Model S. The test drive was pretty awesome but I didn't want to go full throttle on an $85k car that wasn't mine! Meanwhile, I'm lovin' my Super Black LEAF and only 3 days into it so far!

Back