Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
freshleaf said:
Any one explain me how to get these plates, I transfer my old plates when i leased mine.
My plates registration is valid till Nov 2013.

Same here. You'll pay $29 to transfer your plate, but it will be worth it because you'll pay something like $35 for 2 years or $18 for one year. They might just make it expire at the end of the year. They were very willy nilly about it (imagine that!). They will give you a temp plate that's good for about 4 months because that's the speed at which they work. If you go to the driver facility on Elston...talk to Peter in Special Services. He took care of mine and actually kind of knew what he was doing. The other lady told me that if my renewal card said $99, then that's what I'm supposed to pay. Oy! Also you might want to print out that information from the State's website and take it with you.

One last tip...take a checkbook. They don't take cash or credit cards. Good luck!

brianchi73 said:
freshleaf said:
Any one explain me how to get these plates, I transfer my old plates when i leased mine.
My plates registration is valid till Nov 2013.

Same here. You'll pay $29 to transfer your plate, but it will be worth it because you'll pay something like $35 for 2 years or $18 for one year. They might just make it expire at the end of the year. They were very willy nilly about it (imagine that!). They will give you a temp plate that's good for about 4 months because that's the speed at which they work. If you go to the driver facility on Elston...talk to Peter in Special Services. He took care of mine and actually kind of knew what he was doing. The other lady told me that if my renewal card said $99, then that's what I'm supposed to pay. Oy! Also you might want to print out that information from the State's website and take it with you.

One last tip...take a checkbook. They don't take cash or credit cards. Good luck!

PM sent to 'freshleaf' --- sent you the main IL SOS contact person's phone number for this program unless you're close to Elston location I'd go that route to avoid wasting time, get the form and then go to the facility the closest to you form in hand --- I did mine via mail but gave it to my dealer when we bought our car as we knew approximately when it was coming in --- still surprised at the new LEAF's that just have 'regular' plates when these 'EL' series are available for much lower cost -- especially now that the regular ones was up to $101/year.

Warning. From capacity loss thread.
dhanson865 said:
JN1AZ0CP4BT002227 is a 3 bar loser that used to be in Mesa, AZ but now it is for sale in IL at a Nissan dealer
27,191 miles and they are asking $16,000.

heh, it's a CARFAX 1 owner vehicle :lol: :roll: :!:

Honestly I'd be tempted to buy it if the price were a little cheaper. It's a beautiful car, the 27k miles don't scare me and the 3 bars lost isn't a total dealbreaker for me but it is enough to make me hesitant to shell out too much.

redLEAF said:
lipower said:
I saw plate number 720 EL yesterday on a black 2013 Leaf.

Wow, anything higher out there ? --- may approach 4-digits soon at this rate

Newbie here on the forums & I'm expecting my to-be-leased '13 Super Black LEAF SL to arrive at Oak Lawn Nissan sometime in June (once it gets a VIN and hits the production line down in Smyrna, TN.) I'll be helping to get the EL license plates up to 4 digits, but wondered if someone could PM me info on how/when I should begin the process of getting these discounted specialty plates. Guessing I have to wait until I get the car in my possession before I can apply? Thanks all and hope to chat more with my fellow Chicagoland LEAF drivers soon!

brianchi73 said:
Sledge said:
FYI I can verify that as of this weekend, the 350Green L3 stations are still not accepting ChargePoint cards. I'm hoping this will be a simple software update for Car Charging, Inc. now that they have completed the acquisition.

If it helps here is an e-mail that I sent to Car Charging. I'm trying to help even though I already have a Charjit card. Please read from bottom to top. Also notice that there is an e-mail and a phone # for an actual person at Car Charging. :)

Suzanne Tamargo to me
Yes, we do have the ability to add funds to existing cards. The litigation with JNS Holdings is still pending. However, more information can be found in our SEC filings.

Suzanne Tamargo
Director of Marketing & Public Relations

Date: Friday, May 17, 2013 4:14 PM
To: Suzanne Tamargo <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Comment from Contact Us

Ok. I'm actually asking on behalf of the EV Community because I already have a Charjit card. Do you know if I can add charges to an existing card?

Also is JNS Holdings still in the picture?

Thanks,

Brian

On May 17, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Suzanne Tamargo <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for contacting us. While we are not able to provide new Efacec's CharJit RFID cards at the moment, we are diligently working to resolve this issue with Efacec and will notify you as soon as we can issue cards. We thank you for your patience and we look forward to serving you!

Suzanne Tamargo
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
<E1794B9F-06E5-40B5-87C7-A162E1E3E311[27].png>
1691 Michigan Ave., Ste 601
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Office: (305) 521-0200
Fax: (305) 521-0201
http://www.CarCharging.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 2:48 PM
To: Info

Are EV Owners able to get a Charjit card through Car Charging?

So I am imagining this means only those with previously issued Charjit cards are now able to add funds, and thus use chicagoland CHAdeMO stations via this new company CarCharging. New/upcoming drivers such as myself are S.O.L. until they start issuing new cards that will work (likely after all litigation is finally over.)

Are there any new developments in this case?

Anyone know of anybody selling old Charjit cards that newbies like me can buy and use?

djkjmuoh said:
redLEAF said:
lipower said:

Newbie here on the forums & I'm expecting my to-be-leased '13 Super Black LEAF SL to arrive at Oak Lawn Nissan sometime in June (once it gets a VIN and hits the production line down in Smyrna, TN.) I'll be helping to get the EL license plates up to 4 digits, but wondered if someone could PM me info on how/when I should begin the process of getting these discounted specialty plates. Guessing I have to wait until I get the car in my possession before I can apply? Thanks all and hope to chat more with my fellow Chicagoland LEAF drivers soon!

PM sent on EL plates contact -- Welcome to the forum! As you leased you won't be eligible for the IL EPA rebate but if you plan to put an L2 charger at home there should still be funds from another IL agency to rebate up to 50% of the charger + install as long as you use a licensed contractor; search for EVSE rebate on this thread

I have 4 CharJit cards and 4 Chargepoint cards that I would like to offer up to those needing a card but they are tied to my credit card and I don't see a safe way (for me financially) for me to provide the cards to those that could use them.

lipower said:
I have 4 CharJit cards and 4 Chargepoint cards that I would like to offer up to those needing a card but they are tied to my credit card and I don't see a safe way (for me financially) for me to provide the cards to those that could use them.

I wonder if this "Car Charging" company who claims they can add funds to existing Charjit cards can lock your credit card out from being charged and add funds from another persons Credit Card... or if they can switch the credit card associated with the Charjit card. I'll look into it via the info in one of the threads and maybe others can too. If it's possible, I'd love to call dibs on one Charjit card. I'll probably order my own ChargePoint Card though.

-KJ

My LEAF stopped working yesterday :(
The EV System Warning Light (yellow car with exclamation mark coming through roof), PS Light, & Red Battery symbol light all came on. Car would only go into Park & Neutral.

Luckily the car was parked at my office. Called Nissan roadside and they sent tow truck to take to dealer. Dealer is looking at it now.

Hope its nothing serious..

bwallach said:
The EV System Warning Light (yellow car with exclamation mark coming through roof), PS Light, & Red Battery symbol light all came on. Car would only go into Park & Neutral.

Luckily the car was parked at my office. Called Nissan roadside and they sent tow truck to take to dealer. Dealer is looking at it now.

Update. They finally found the issue. Apparently one of the battery cells is "leaking" which is causing a vlotage drop which in turn forces the system to shut down (safety presumably). They are ordering the needed part/s.

Not sure how to feel about this. Vehicle only has around ~5100 miles over a 1.5 year period.

bwallach said:
bwallach said:

Update. They finally found the issue. Apparently one of the battery cells is "leaking" which is causing a vlotage drop which in turn forces the system to shut down (safety presumably). They are ordering the needed part/s.

Not sure how to feel about this. Vehicle only has around ~5100 miles over a 1.5 year period.

Yeah that totally sucks, especially being so new for you. Plus with me getting a brand new one it sounds pretty scary....

UNTIL, I stop to remember when I bought my Certified Pre-Owned BMW 135i back in August of '10 with only 11k miles on it. On that car, within a few months, the notorious _35i style turbocharged engine found in 135i, 335i, and I believe 535i had a problem with its High Pressure Fuel System and basically started chugging along at only 15 mph until finally giving out completely requiring a tow.

I got it fixed and towed at no cost under warranty and although it was a pain, I went on to love that car (and will miss it soon upon giving it up for the LEAF.) Bottom line.... $h!t happens to all cars, just pray it's not a recurring problem. Good luck to you and I'll hope it doesn't happen to me too.

djkjmuoh said:
bwallach said:
bwallach said:

Yeah that totally sucks, especially being so new for you. Plus with me getting a brand new one it sounds pretty scary....

UNTIL, I stop to remember when I bought my Certified Pre-Owned BMW 135i back in August of '10 with only 11k miles on it. On that car, within a few months, the notorious _35i style turbocharged engine found in 135i, 335i, and I believe 535i had a problem with its High Pressure Fuel System and basically started chugging along at only 15 mph until finally giving out completely requiring a tow.

I got it fixed and towed at no cost under warranty and although it was a pain, I went on to love that car (and will miss it soon upon giving it up for the LEAF.) Bottom line.... $h!t happens to all cars, just pray it's not a recurring problem. Good luck to you and I'll hope it doesn't happen to me too.

Yep, all cars have issues. Agree. However, with EVs the pains are more pronounced. We just wrote about this on Web2carz.com: http://www.web2carz.com/autos/fuel-economy-and-safety/2127/the-perils-of-early-adoption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redLEAF said:
lipower said:

Not a higher number but still impressed with how many of these high-end EV's are in and around Chicagoland; yesterday saw a black Tesla S in Deer Park/Kildeer on Quentin and Route 12 (Rand Rd) with 644 EL plates ... an interesting side note is that just 2 days earlier I needed to fill up my Miata's quite small tank and the BP at that intersection had regular at $3.99 and yesterday it had jumped to $4.29 ... this morning in the Palatine area, saw a few stations at $4.45 for regular; apparently the issue with the refineries, etc. has yet to be resolved. Premium was close to $5/gal but not quite there yet!!

redLEAF said:
.. but still impressed with how many of these high-end EV's are in and around Chicagoland; yesterday saw a black Tesla S in Deer Park/Kildeer on Quentin and Route 12 (Rand Rd) with 644 EL plates .

I am seeing a lot of Teslas too..Very interesting..

bwallach said:

Update. They finally found the issue. Apparently one of the battery cells is "leaking" which is causing a voltage drop which in turn forces the system to shut down (safety presumably). They are ordering the needed part/s.

UPDATE:
---------
Got my LEAF back today. Very excited. Was getting tired of driving that Hyundai Elantra loaner around....yikes :)

Here is what is on the service report:
"Battery module MD31 cell 61 and 62 compromised
replaced battery module md31. removed battery tray. removed
battery module md31. replaced md31. reinstalled battery tray
and restored all electrical power. test drove vehicle after
repairs and vehicle is operating as designed at this time"

The service manager at the dealership was very helpful and communicative throughout the process and Nissan covered everything (the tow, the loaner, and the repairs). However, I still have concerns as to 'why' this happened and if this will occur again. Time will tell I guess..

bwallach said:
bwallach said:

Update. They finally found the issue. Apparently one of the battery cells is "leaking" which is causing a voltage drop which in turn forces the system to shut down (safety presumably). They are ordering the needed part/s.

UPDATE:
---------
Got my LEAF back today. Very excited. Was getting tired of driving that Hyundai Elantra loaner around....yikes :)

Here is what is on the service report:
"Battery module MD31 cell 61 and 62 compromised
replaced battery module md31. removed battery tray. removed
battery module md31. replaced md31. reinstalled battery tray
and restored all electrical power. test drove vehicle after
repairs and vehicle is operating as designed at this time"

The service manager at the dealership was very helpful and communicative throughout the process and Nissan covered everything (the tow, the loaner, and the repairs). However, I still have concerns as to 'why' this happened and if this will occur again. Time will tell I guess..

I think it's just a matter of statistics really. It looks like there are 48 modules in the battery pack of each Leaf. Not sure how many have failed, but 48 x the # of Leafs manufactured has got to be a pretty big number. I think the big question, for any owners, is how much would it have cost to get that done if you're outside of the warranty period. Does your service report give any indication of that?

brianchi73 said:
I think it's just a matter of statistics really. It looks like there are 48 modules in the battery pack of each Leaf. Not sure how many have failed, but 48 x the # of Leafs manufactured has got to be a pretty big number. I think the big question, for any owners, is how much would it have cost to get that done if you're outside of the warranty period. Does your service report give any indication of that?

Well, as far as stats, we would need to know how many vehicles had the same issue. Also, I don't know with 100% certainty if this was indeed just a "routine/normal" failure or perhaps induced by something on my end? Something happen during the most recent charge? Some sort of moisture that may have seeped in..

As far as warranty, I thought Nissan warranted the battery for 8 years..I dont know what that would include exactly though and there is no indication on the service report..

"EV System warning light" along with the "yellow master warning light" came on today. Went back home and parked the car for a while. Started again and warning lights went away. Drove a little...

As of right now I am still able to drive, however this is VERY disconcerting. The car just came back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer with new battery cells.. Now what?

bwallach said:
"EV System warning light" along with the "yellow master warning light" came on today. Went back home and parked the car for a while. Started again and warning lights went away. Drove a little...

As of right now I am still able to drive, however this is VERY disconcerting. The car just came back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer with new battery cells.. Now what?

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. At least you're still in the warranty period.

Back