Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prolix74 said:
Is anyone aware of the charger installation rebate now being offered in Illinois? It looks like it is retroactive to last July but the deadline to apply is 6/15/12! I was about to go through and fill out the paperwork but I wanted to see if anyone else has applied for it already.

http://www.commerce.state.il.us/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for posting this. I just got my Schneider unit delivered (HomeDepot) and will be paying an electrician for installation as well. I didn't realize I might be eligible for a rebate.

+1 new one on me as well as this is a different IL state agency than the Green Fleets EV purchase rebate from IL EPA; my install falls under the 'rules' they had posted will try as well; good catch!

This will work out for many of us as it was next to impossible to get the Fed tax credit on our EVSE home installs as well as the EV purchase Fed Tax Credit in the same year and of course the EVSE credit expired at the end of 2011. I would think this rebate also will not be considered 'income' from the state but as I see they also want your SS# could be getting a 1099 on this later ... I've sent the form off to the electrical contractor I used as it has a requirement that a licensed/insured contractor is used so apparently no self-installs would be eligible. Still have as of yet to get my IL EPA vehicle rebate but keep forgetting to bring my paperwork in in case they need to reference anything when I call them. It's great to see other agencies within IL supporting EV's. As my contractor did a few other EVSE installs I've also passed the info along so he can let his other customers know ... this is something I'll also send to my salesman at the dealership as one other added 'bonus' in case customer cars on order have already installed their EVSE.

Good find. I guess there is no money for me in that pot however.

All I did for charging infrastructure was to self-install a 240V circuit in my garage and get the EVSE Upgrade.

bwallach said:
prolix74 said:
Is anyone aware of the charger installation rebate now being offered in Illinois? It looks like it is retroactive to last July but the deadline to apply is 6/15/12! I was about to go through and fill out the paperwork but I wanted to see if anyone else has applied for it already.

http://www.commerce.state.il.us/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, was looking at the plate on the LEAF that was parked in the photo, almost didn't look like an IL plate but think it might be a 'Rotary' member ... typing in 'CLEAN' on the pick-a-plate site and it came up as being already issued... what do you think?

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/rotary.html

prolix74 said:

Some of those requirements are tough.

Amazon does not give you an invoice showing the serial number of the unit. My electrician's invoice does not show the number of hours he worked nor his business license. I am not sure if he is willing to provide me a certification to show it is installed according to code. I did not pay by cheque so I do not have cancelled checks but I am sure that a credit card statement will do for that one as well.

dutchinchicago said:
prolix74 said:

Amazon does not give you an invoice showing the serial number of the unit. My electrician's invoice does not show the number of hours he worked nor his business license. I am not sure if he is willing to provide me a certification to show it is installed according to code. I did not pay by cheque so I do not have cancelled checks but I am sure that a credit card statement will do for that one as well.

I sent the form to my electrician and will see what he makes of it -- our Village does not require inspections, etc. so assume he'll indicate he followed recommended NECA 'standards' to hard wire it (metal conduit, etc.) but would think that a copy of the invoice, digital photo of the unit that shows the SN, etc. will suffice -- doubtful my invoice from HD shows the SN either but seem to recall the packing slip might (if I kept it).

Thx for the info on EV equipment rebate! Maybe the state will get it to us by Christmas to stimulate the economy. This is Illinois, electricians should make the invoice however is needed. I will have to go look at my paperwork from HD to see if they put serial # on the invoice. or examine the unit for it. Where ever there is money there is a will to get it ! As an aside I'm sorry to have missed the Electric Car show in Elgin. There was one at the Elgin library that got me interested a few years ago. Well Cruzin Nites are about to start and I'll see if my Leaf GT will be allowed in.

dutchinchicago said:

Yeah it is a lot of paperwork to submit. The EV rebate wasn't this involved. Who knows if they will even verify it all. I can't see them paying workers to spend hours validating mountains of paperwork for a proper rebate submission but then again, I have seen the government do more inefficient things!

My contractor filled out what he could on this form, have a copy of his insurance policy, contractor license #, original bid, paid invoice, copy of cancelled check, etc., etc. will also need to photo the unit, show the SN, etc. I was going to scan and email all of this but I think the resulting file will be much too large so plan to mail it. Unlike the IL EPA EV rebate they say they'll advise of it's processing status, so we'll see how picky they get -- for me it's worth a little over $600 (50% of install + charger) so a little more effort to pull this stuff together will hopefully pay off. Once I submit it I'll add this other separate IL EVSE rebate in my sign' to see how long it takes and of course if it somehow gets, gasp ... rejected!

lipower said:
Mine was a straight purchase. You can contact Paul Mason with Illinois EPA at 217-557-1441 to follow up on your status. The rebate is not tied to the sales tax paid: I just like to use that as a rebuttal to those that feel they have somehow helped pay for my Leaf. Not the best argument but oh well.

Thought I would also post a follow up as some of us on the forum (perhaps only a few) have yet to see their IL EPA rebate checks so I took the tip from 'lipower' and called this number ... turns out that Paul Mason is out on disability so the person that answered checked my request -- I mailed it on 12/27 and they initially processed it on 12/29 but it's up for 'second review' -- she said that if it was missing something that they would have contacted me so at least that's good --- she also says that I should hopefully see something in the next month or so. Looks like all you need to have them check is your name so if others are curious you can call but probably get the same response. She did confirm that they only process these twice per year so I would imagine it will get processed with the batch in June. At the very least, they didn't lose it so we'll just need to wait a bit longer ...

Sorry to hear that. I called Paul the week following my documents being sent certified mail to insure they were received by the correct department and verify that I had sent everything they needed. It turned out that the copy of the window sticker that I sent in with the application was not sufficient as I sent only the first half (mainly because my scanner at home could not scan the entire page) and they needed the entire sticker. I was given a fax number to send the second half and followed up again to verify they had everything they needed. If they had an issue with a window sticker, they could have an issue with anything I guess.

Also while the checks are processed in June, I am thinking they will not be processed and mailed till October; like the December process checks being mailed in April (government coffers being filled back up at tax time?) :(

Haven't heard of anyone else reporting on it yet... I had the opportunity to use a DC Fast Charger on a round trip from Chicago to the Wisconsin.

I stopped in the Lake Forest Tollway Oasis. 350 Green has a CHAdeMO in both the North bound and South bound 7-Elevens. I had already received my Charjit card, and the station worked perfectly. For the occasional times when I want a little bit more quick range - these stations may come in handy.

Several people came up asking questions (about both the charger and the car). The charging went very quickly, 30 minutes later we were on our way.

LEAF Life:
http://www.web2carz.com/people/everyone-else/922/leaf-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bwallach said:
LEAF Life:
http://www.web2carz.com/people/everyone-else/922/leaf-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice article and photos, good to see LEAF's being featured, especially here in IL. I was away on business this past week (Orlando) and was surprised NOT to see any LEAF's, Volt's, etc. but did see a lot of BIG SUV's and NO EVSE chargers -- in any case I finally had time to compile the paperwork for the 50% EVSE install paperwork for IL that will go in the mail today so updated my sign' ... this is like doing your own taxes, reading each paragraph and checking things off. A lot more of this applies to public access EVSE's but we'll see if I got it right, my contractor gave me a copy of his biz insurance certificate and he signed the form, etc. so would assume we're good ... much more doc's that the IL EPA wants for their much bigger rebate amount so go figure. This form has a place to list your email address so would assume I may get an acknowledgement that it's being processed so we'll see. The only thing I really didn't figure out is whether these Schneider EVSE units are serialized ... I included a photo of the side label and think perhaps the number all the way at the bottom may be its serial number (11245) but nowhere in the owner's manual, etc. does it even mention that it has one so hopefully that's enough for the rebate paperwork ... I wasn't about to pull the cover off as I don't believe you should have to to see one but we'll see. This label also shows the 'UL listed' marking which is also a requirement ... submitted a few photos of the unit installed, aspect of install in the garage, the new 40A circuit as well as showing the EV plugged in and indicator light on the unit that it's working. A little less than a month left for others to submit so hopefully if I'm missing anything I'll be advised.

WP_000043.jpg

redLEAF said:
I finally had time to compile the paperwork for the 50% EVSE install paperwork for IL

I am in the exact same boat. I have the Schneider charger. Installing next week. The paper work for the rebate is excessive! I hope my electrician will be able to provide what they are asking for. What did you put down in the "project manager" areas? I was just gonna leave those blank.

bwallach said:
redLEAF said:
I finally had time to compile the paperwork for the 50% EVSE install paperwork for IL

I am in the exact same boat. I have the Schneider charger. Installing next week. The paper work for the rebate is excessive! I hope my electrician will be able to provide what they are asking for. What did you put down in the "project manager" areas? I was just gonna leave those blank.

I gave the contractor the entire form and he put himself as the PM as he did the install estimate and assigned his guys (crew of two on my job) so would assume you would do the same -- again this form is more for public EVSE's but they just need to know who was responsible overall for the install.

LEAF sighting ... near cloverleaf on Euclid for Rt. 53 in Arlington Heights, my son snapped this morning on a cheaper camera phone but you can definitely tell it's another red LEAF and yet with another 'regular' newly issued standard IL plate (starts with P20 xxxx). He didn't notice the dealer plate frame but it could be a McGrath in Elgin but hard to tell ... makes you wonder why the Nissan dealer's are not advising their new customers about the EL series plates as there is nothing special about getting the 'normal' ones and you save some money. He almost thought this was me or his Mom but at least one other red LEAF running around; this marks just two sightings so far, a 'P20' in white and now this red one.

V__0E61A.jpg

Saw my first wild Leaf Sunday in Glenview on Harms Rd. I was so startled that I didn't roll down the window and wave, or Flash my lights, I did wave but the glare on the window probably obscured my reaction. The Leaf had EL plates was very shiny black. In gathering the various data required for the EVSE Rebate it seems unnecessarily complicated. We will need a further consult with the electrician, a 'digital' pic and how many kw's? Il. should have turned this over to a regular rebate company.

bwallach said:
redLEAF said:

OK, our government is at work, more hoops to jump through ... some things the guy was right and at least he's allowing me to still attempt to get all this paperwork in before the June 15th deadline .. after completing the form, including the original electrician's estimate and invoice, photos of the unit installed, photo of the new 40A circuit breaker, photo of the unit in use, photo of the UL and model number (shown earlier in this thread) on the unit itself and what I thought was the serial number, copy of my cancelled check, receipt from HD for the charger + credit card statement that it was paid for, copies of both the user guide and installation manual ... I get this back via email:

'Hello Mr. xx:

I received your application for a rebate through the Electric Vehicle charging station rebate program. I have noted below a number of items that need to be addressed and/or clarified, before we can consider your application to be complete and eligible for consideration. I’ve outlined the items per the sections of the application.

Section 2. Charging Unit Specifications and Installation Information
· Spec sheet: You are required to submit to DCEO the spec sheet for the EVlink EV Charging System that was purchased. (I guess the other product sheets included with the unit were not specific enough, tracked down the EV product guide off Schneider's site, hope this is enough) (this is the spec sheet I plan to submit:

http://static.schneider-electric.us...c Vehicle Charging/Indoor EVCS/2800CT1001.pdf

Section 3. Applicant Organization Legal Status
· Please confirm that you are applying as a Corporation, not as an Individual. (my bad, I checked the wrong box, thought it meant status for the installer, be sure to check 'individual')
· If you are applying as a business, you will need to provide DCEO with a completed and signed W-9 Form.

Section 4. Financial Information
· Please list the funding source for the portion of project costs not covered by the rebate. (OK, I didn't put anything, I guess I need to put 'out of pocket expenses by homeowner' although that's just a guess')

Section 5. Project Narrative
· Please provide a complete narrative that addresses the information items in this Section. (this was a simple install of a new circuit and mounting the thing on the wall and running conduit to it but I'm asking my electrician to come up with something ???)

Section 7. Final Documentation Required
· We need confirmation from the vendor with regard to the serial number for the purchased charging unit. (this is where I need some forum help, does the Schneider EV2430WS even have a serial number? I put an online request into Schneider for clarification)
· We need documentation of the technology requirements for the purchased charging unit as listed in 2.33 of the RFA document … information that is typically provided on a product specifications sheet. (submitting what Schneider has on their website will see if this suffices)
· Copies of canceled checks (front and back of check to xxx Electric) as proof of payment for equipment installation costs. (my bad I guess just the front of the cancelled check featured prominently on my checking statement wasn't enough)
· A copy of the installer’s written certification that the unit was installed and was operating in accordance with local, state and federal codes. (asking the electrician for help on both this one and below as I guess they don't take our word for it)
· Confirmation of the date of equipment installation, and the date that the unit was operational.'

My electrician has already gone beyond what I would expect most guys would do for a small job so hopefully I'm not trying his patience -- I'm putting another comment specifically over on the Schneider thread to see if others (who have had to pull apart their units) can tell me if they've run across were the serial number is unless Schneider themselves can verify there isn't one on this model --- no obvious ones I can see w/o pulling the main cover off! Have about 19 business days before the deadline so still have some time. If this was for say less than $100 I wouldn't bother but will try a bit more for the $600+ it should end up being. Word to the wise; this won't be easy!!

Back