Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently out of town. But I received a message that my car has arrived at the dealership!

I won't be able to pick it up til the 28th. But, it's in! :D :D :D

Congrats bigtlb, You will enjoy the car. I am looking forward to hearing how your range is affected by Chicago winters. Hopefully it will not reduce much. I used to live in Oak Brook. So I know how cold a Chicago winter can be. I currently live in Southern Ca. where Ev's thrive on mild weather.

lukati said:
I see you are paying $0.12/kWh.

I threw 0.12 in there as a guess. now that I look at it, it's about 0.11. plus a fixed monthly charge of about $17.0

I believe the RTP sometimes actually goes to zero. Is that true?

I was considering RTP but I would have to replace my old meter socket and the "capacity charge" scared me. (I like my Air Conditioning).

I wonder what they will do in the future for road use taxes. If they tax it like gas (per energy unit $/gal) they would have to raise it a lot. I think they'll try to tax by mileage. When they do it, it'll be hard to determine if it's fair.

bigtlb said:
I am currently out of town. But I received a message that my car has arrived at the dealership!

I won't be able to pick it up til the 28th. But, it's in! :D :D :D

Many congrats 'bigtlb' -- my ETA still states 'week of December 10th' so hopefully I get 'the call' today or tomorrow -- still have yet to see a LEAF out and about but we should start seeing some soon. On the ComEd rates -- .12 kWh seems a bit high (my fixed rate is .066 kWh but with Champion Energy, one of the authorized electric supply re-sellers for IL) but I didn't include the taxes, etc. so will look again -- the tax charge is fixed percentage based on usage and a flat charge for delivery not variable but seem to recall they didn't add up to much over the base kWh rate; much less than .054 kWh that would add up to your .12 kWh.

Hey guys its me again. I am excited to say I will re order my Nissan Leaf again. Got my job back, too bad that wasnt the case a month ago :( Wish me best luck, I hope to be part of the team again.

redLEAF said:
hopefully I get 'the call' today or tomorrow
We're rooting for ya, It's got to be very soon.

My rate is .06968(com ed rate) with all the other crap it comes to .107 which brings me to 3.5 cnts/mi. Of course that's only four days of data with some estimations. but 3.08 mi/kwh sounds about right

Dino said:
redLEAF said:
hopefully I get 'the call' today or tomorrow
We're rooting for ya, It's got to be very soon.
+1!

The RTP rate does come down to zero occasionally, but don't be fooled, that is just the cost of the electricity. Comed still charges you for delivery and other sundry things. On my bill the "other" charges add up to about 2.78 cents/kWh. So currently the nighttime cost is 5-5.5 cents/kWh.

The "capacity charge" is the big cost item for RTP. But at the initial residential 4.4kW capacity charge, you can still run an AC (at 15 SEER) of up to 66,000 BTU/h. With just a little foresight (or by joining the Comed program to reduce AC during peak time) I think just about everybody can lower their capacity charge with little if any loss in convenience.

Will be picking up our car tomorrow afternoon. Very excited.

The best quote we got for our trade in was from carmax so many thanks for the suggestion.

We had a weekend trip to Lake Geneva and on the way back we checked out the L2 chargers at the hotel and Gurnee mills. We will need both if we ever want to go back.

For the first couple of weeks I will be charging 120V only. I will need an extension cord because I only have 240V near the car. Are there any special considerations for buying an extension cord?

Dutch

When I visited the 2 recharging sides I added pictures on Recargo so it will be easier for other people to find them. So far the Recargo iphone app is the best one I have found for finding chargers.

It would be great if more people would start populating information on chargers in and around Chicago using that app.

Dino said:
dutchinchicago said:
Are there any special considerations for buying an extension cord?
Dutch
Yes, make sure you get at least a 14/3. One labeled 16/3 is too small. 12/3 is better
Another suggestion is that if your outlet is old then replace that as well. Poor contacts have a tendency to cause heat and that has been an issue with the Volt's 120v charger. People have mentioned their plug was getting warm (hey 9hrs at 1400kW at 12amp is a fair amount of juice) and they replaced their outlet and the problem went away. Poor contact = resistance, arcing, and additional resistance

scottf200 said:
Another suggestion is that if your outlet is old then replace that as well. Poor contacts have a tendency to cause heat and that has been an issue with the Volt's 120v charger. People have mentioned their plug was getting warm (hey 9hrs at 1400kW at 12amp is a fair amount of juice) and they replaced their outlet and the problem went away. Poor contact = resistance, arcing, and additional resistance
Good safety point, and the EV haters love to blame overheating sockets on the car.

RED.......any word yet?

Hi duchinchicago,
I have an upgraded standard charger as a spare. If you would like, your welcome to use it while yours is being upgraded. I’m in Oak Park just 1 ½ block off of North Ave. Just give me a call at 708-383-4677.
Bill

Dino said:
scottf200 said:
Good safety point, and the EV haters love to blame overheating sockets on the car.

RED.......any word yet?

Thanks for asking ... dealer says they are now checking daily but nothing yet.. rep says the GM plans to call me when it does finally show, hopefully no holdup due to the winter storms out west (instead of coming from the east coast it's coming from the west according to dealer GM) ... been otherwise busy converting from an ailing Windows PC to a nice new 27" iMac so haven't been checking the forum as much as well as getting ready for the holidays, just hope to get the car before year end now

Picking up the car today. Very excited.

Thanks for the offer to borrow an upgraded charger. I think I am fine with 120v for now but it is good to have as an option. I am 3 blocks south from North Avenue in old town.

I am having second thoughts about my charging set-up. I have a 240 volt socket installed outside where I park my car and am planning to use an upgraded charger.

My concerns are that it is a pain to having to remove the chargers every time especially when it is wet and dirty. The other concern is that it might get stolen costing me nearly $1000. I know that you can attach a lock to it but it is a pain having to do this every time and it is likely that a thief has a bolt cutter anyway.

I am not allowed to install a charger on the outside of my house but I could install one in my garage (which is too small for a car). This would mean that the cable needs to go under my closed garage door. Would it be ok to close the garage door on top of the charger cable? It has a rubber strip at the bottom. What do you think?

dutchinchicago said:
This would mean that the cable needs to go under my closed garage door. Would it be ok to close the garage door on top of the charger cable? It has a rubber strip at the bottom. What do you think?
I've heard of people doing this regularly. If you concerned you could use a short piece of this type of protector
images
images

Congrats dutchinchicago on you impending pick-up!

Mine was unlaoded from truck yesterday afternoon at Libertyville Nissan.
Should be able to pick up Thursday (earliest depending on dealer) possibly not until Saturday.

I purchased an additional set of wheels with SNOW Tires to swap out right away because my driveway can be darn near impossible to go up if the snow is at those slippery temperatures. Could not believe how fast TireRack and UPS got them to me. Ordered Monday morning - UPS delivered 6:30 PM next day.... Standard delivery and only 32 hours from order to receipt.
Merry Christmas to me!

dutchinchicago wrote:

This would mean that the cable needs to go under my closed garage door. Would it be ok to close the garage door on top of the charger cable? It has a rubber strip at the bottom. What do you think?

I think even a small strip of wood placed under the door about the same thickness would work just as well. If needed the garage door opener can be adjust slightly.
Bill

With blizzard season looming in Chicago... Has any got suggestions on how long an extension cord should be? Ought one to have two on board? :?:

Back