Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benleafexpert said:
Just wanted to let all the current and prospective Leaf owners know, that besides the $500 discount off MSRP that Thomas Nissan of Joliet is offering for new orders, we are also offering Free Charging at our Charging Stations...no matter where you purchased your Leaf :)

Imagine if your store had an L3 30 minute charger installed in the front.. free to all those that purchased a Leaf from you and everyone else would pay a $10 fee.. that would be a powerful inducement to buy from you, and it may even turn a profit.

i am thinking about getting a personalize numberplate. does anyone know whaT the procedure is for that? Will the dealer give me temporary plates and can I order my numberplate on-line when i get home?

lukati said:
What are you guys doing about plates? I contacted my dealer the other day and he told me that I will drive off with temporary plates with the special Illinois EV plates coming in the mail at some later date. Is that what you are being told as well?

for 'lukati' and 'dutch' -- unless you're going to transfer 'regular' plates from another vehicle (the IL SOS office confirmed no restriction to do this with me on the phone) which would also allow 'vanity' or 'personalized' you can get reduced cost 'EL' series plates (for Electric Vehicles') -- these are 3-digit plates followed by the smaller 'EL' at the end (like the Environmental 'cardinal' plates which have an EN at the end). They only cost $18/year and happen to be renewed in December so the first time plate 'renewal' is prorated at $9 ! (you'll also of course need a new title at $95 as with regular plates so total of $104 to register for the first time). The number of EV's in IL is very low so would imagine it will be in the low 000's (i.e., an example might be like 401 EL) range so will still be quite unique but not be personalized. It sounds like lukati's dealer is fully aware of the LEAF EV status, mine was not. The IL SOS woman I talked to did say there are no plans to offer any personalization on the EL plates as they simply don't have that many -- she did say they are gearing up as more EV's come to IL so have plenty in stock for the 'rush'.

I came across an old document on IL plates which shows the two they offered for EV vehicles (page 24) and they haven't yet confirmed if we'll get the A 3-digit EL series or simply 3-digit and EL as these show the older plate design, I believe the new one shows Iliinois in script and drops the 'A' but we'll see soon enough. If you look way back through the threads I did some research early on -- you also need to submit an 'affirmation for electric vehicle' if you want the EV plates which your dealer needs to submit along with photos of the car and it's 'batteries' (I took a photo of the battery display at the Soldier Field event just in case) to prove its powered by electricity. Interestingly the LEAF (and soon to market pure electric Focus EV) quality for these plates but the Volt doesn't as it's a plug-in hybrid -- but all three will qualify for the IL EPA rebate -- go figure!

http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/pdf_publications/0203lp_guide.pdf

Lastly, in all cases (unless you transfer existing plates) you'll get a yellow temporary plate from the dealer (basically it's a 'plate applied for' cardboard plate) and the permanent one IL SOS will issue the numbered EL series plate and mail it to you -- I have found that a few dealers now have 'instant' regular license plates on hand but would be very doubtful that IL SOS would allocate these EL plates to any of them at this time. I plan to go with the EV IL EL series plate myself as it will save at registration time and will be unique -- of course some may confuse it with a government issued plate as I don't think it will have the blue background but have yet to see a recent one but we'll start seeing them soon enough --- the dealer demo LEAF's of course all have dealer plates so until they're sold (or perhaps made into permanent loaner vehicles?) they'l still not have these.

Great writeup RedLeaf. Thanks! I am also going with the EL plates. Good to know that the information of my dealer is being confirmed.

I looked up the relevant IL code. The A prefix with our plates appears to be in the discretion of the SOS and not required by law. What is in the law is that the registration cannot exceed $18 per year. :)

Jeff Bogdala just called from Libertyville Nissan with news about my order.

He said my car was built on Oct 12th, and should be delivered by the week of Dec 9th (my dashboard still says week of Dec 5th). I don't like being disappointed, so will start callibrating my expectations to the more pessimistic number. :oops:

I asked about getting a VIN or activating CARWINGS. He apologized and said he wouldn't have a VIN until the vehicle had actually entered the US.

He did confirm that the dealership had their L2's installed and ready.

bigtlb said:
Jeff Bogdala just called from Libertyville Nissan with news about my order.

He said my car was built on Oct 12th, and should be delivered by the week of Dec 9th (my dashboard still says week of Dec 5th). I don't like being disappointed, so will start callibrating my expectations to the more pessimistic number. :oops:

I asked about getting a VIN or activating CARWINGS. He apologized and said he wouldn't have a VIN until the vehicle had actually entered the US.

He did confirm that the dealership had their L2's installed and ready.

Curious and I'm sure a bit frustrating --- as I already have my VIN and have activated CARWINGS perhaps my estimated 'week of Dec 7' (changed from Dec 5th) may actually mean it will be here sooner as it seems once they get a VIN, the car is built and in the U.S.??; but of course on 10/31 when I was at my dealer the GM said he still didn't have anything on his system yet; it was not 'in port' and he assumed it was still on the ship in-transit. As I said earlier, the whole process seems to not be consistent as when my dealer got his demo it just kind of showed up with a regular shipment of other Nissan's -- he was pleased it came in (was a brand new '11, not a press demo, etc.) but strange as he thought it was earlier than expected.

Gonewild said:
Hi are there anyone from Elk Grove Village IL, I lived there for 25 years and miss home so much.

One of my staff folks currently lives in Elk Grove Village but I'm further west -- if it's been that long, lots of things have changed (new runway at O'Hare, lots of new shopping centers, much more congestion, etc.), I've been in the NW 'burbs since you left ('86) and can say it's a whole different place since I relocated from upstate NY. The Leaf should be right at home out here -- the 'burbs are fairly close together which hasn't changed and if they get a few more chargers (especially at remote parking at O'Hare and the Metro train stations) should make it that much better.

Not simply to create more posts but might be good to recap those here in Chicagoland (including our friends throughout IL which are always welcome) who have their VIN's which may (or not) be the closest to taking actual delivery; hopefully soon this will switch to "Chicagoland LEAF sightings"; as some are infrequent posters I may send a PM to see if they'll respond (listed not in any particular order), by all means post an update here if your status has changed; this is also NOT to slight those who do not have their VIN's yet but just to see where we're at as I only count 10 VIN's so far:

chijayhawker -- bowed out
bigtlb -- no VIN
dutchinchicago -- no VIN
dino -- VIN !!!
joleta -- (only 2 posts -- assume no VIN)
bzzzzz -- VIN !!!
leafinthepark (appears to be from MN, not IL)
lukati -- VIN !!!
prolix74 --- no VIN
YashuV -- VIN !!!
scottf200 -- Volt owner
wcbrauneis --- VIN !!!
radryan --- VIN !!! - Bloomington, IL

ualdriver -- Volt owner ?
portableal -- few posts ??
Tardis -- VIN !!!
tech01 -- no VIN
redLEAF --- VIN !!!
willnotbuygas -- VIN !!!
Ramesh --- VIN!!!
benleafexpert -- Thomas Nissan Joliet, dealer rep

If we missed some 'lurkers' make your first post if you're getting close !!

My delivery is now listed week of Dec. 7th. I can’t help but to reflect back to 1941 WW 2 which was quit another memorable occasion. I was 12 years old then. My first car was a 1937 Pontiac. I’ve owned many cars from VW bugs to Oldsmobiles & Bucks. At present I have a 2007 Prius with a Hymotion, A123 additional plug in battery which I had installed three years ago. I’ve been averaging 85 mpg during the summer months and less in winter. Any Leaf owner is welcome to stop at my house in Oak Park and charge up.

Reserved: 04/20/10
Ordered: 08/04/11
Delivery: Week of December 7
EVSE: GE Wattstation (installed 10/22/11)

2012 Nissan Leaf SL
VIN # 015975
Brilliant Sliver

wcbrauneis said:
At present I have a 2007 Prius with a Hymotion, A123 additional plug in battery which I had installed three years ago. I’ve been averaging 85 mpg during the summer months and less in winter.
Good for you! I am doing 55-60 mpg with my Prius by driving carefully. I almost bought a 10 kWh Plugin Supply kit this spring. But then I jumped onto the Leaf bandwagon and decided to say goodbye to gasoline for good.

As my highly dynomite silver leaf is expected in January. we are interested in range expectations when it is Chicago cold. Has anyone got caught in blizzards for hours? would it be wise to carry a couple of 100' ext. cords? Has anyone used like small kerosene heaters, or catalytic heaters? Having seen comments on the cold weather pkg. does anyone know what it includes?

Hello. I've been reading the forum for quite a while. With delivery seemingly imminent, I've really been interested in Chicago with the delivery dates changing. I just had the AV charger installed today. I've had vin # for a couple weeks.

Delivery: week of dec 5
Vin # yes
Dealer: Glendale Nissan
Daily Commute: approx 27mi each way
Color: red
Model: SL with cargo organizer

Tardis said:
Hello. I've been reading the forum for quite a while. With delivery seemingly imminent, I've really been interested in Chicago with the delivery dates changing. I just had the AV charger installed today. I've had vin # for a couple weeks.

Delivery: week of dec 5
Vin # yes
Dealer: Glendale Nissan
Daily Commute: approx 27mi each way
Color: red
Model: SL with cargo organizer

Congrats and welcome ! I was hoping we had a few folks just checking the forum and just waiting for delivery --- great color choice as well !!

redLEAF said:
Not simply to create more posts but might be good to recap those here in Chicagoland (including our friends throughout IL which are always welcome) who have their VIN's which may (or not) be the closest to taking actual delivery; hopefully soon this will switch to "Chicagoland LEAF sightings"; as some are infrequent posters I may send a PM to see if they'll respond (listed not in any particular order), by all means post an update here if your status has changed; this is also NOT to slight those who do not have their VIN's yet but just to see where we're at as I only count 6 VIN's so far:

bigtlb -- no VIN
dutchinchicago -- no VIN
dino -- no VIN
bzzzzz -- (nothing in awhile -- assume no VIN)
lukati -- VIN !!!
prolix74 --- bowed out
YashuV -- VIN !!!
scottf200 -- Volt owner
wcbrauneis --- VIN !!!

Tardis -- VIN !!!
tech01 -- no VIN
redLEAF --- VIN !!!

I am still in it. Like many others, I have a date (week of Dec 5th) but not much else to go on. I will be sure to reply when I get some movement.

prolix74 said:
redLEAF said:
Not simply to create more posts but might be good to recap those here in Chicagoland (including our friends throughout IL which are always welcome) who have their VIN's which may (or not) be the closest to taking actual delivery; hopefully soon this will switch to "Chicagoland LEAF sightings"; as some are infrequent posters I may send a PM to see if they'll respond (listed not in any particular order), by all means post an update here if your status has changed; this is also NOT to slight those who do not have their VIN's yet but just to see where we're at as I only count 6 VIN's so far:

bigtlb -- no VIN
dutchinchicago -- no VIN
dino -- no VIN
bzzzzz -- (nothing in awhile -- assume no VIN)
lukati -- VIN !!!
prolix74 --- bowed out
YashuV -- VIN !!!
scottf200 -- Volt owner
wcbrauneis --- VIN !!!

Tardis -- VIN !!!
tech01 -- no VIN
redLEAF --- VIN !!!

I am still in it. Like many others, I have a date (week of Dec 5th) but not much else to go on. I will be sure to reply when I get some movement.

Sorry, saw your post back on 9/19 and with the search on the forum didn't see it was your comment on 'chijayhawker' and not yourself; will edit original on the above, assume no VIN yet

redLEAF said:
Not again ... check your delivery dates .. mine just went from Dec 7 to Dec 13 !!!
Mine is still December 5 as of this morning. But I have a feeling it will change any minute now.

Back