Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Saw a rare low EV plate number today. 312 , like the area code.

We have a number of us who took delivery of our cars with lower tag numbers than that (mine is one) now going back 3 years … the 'homebuilt' EV's in IL account for about the first 240 to 280 plate range (with a very few Tesla Roadster's spotted); bigger challenge now is to see any that broke the next milestone of 3000.

redLEAF said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Saw a rare low EV plate number today. 312 , like the area code.

We have a number of us who took delivery of our cars with lower tag numbers than that (mine is one) now going back 3 years … the 'homebuilt' EV's in IL account for about the first 240 to 280 plate range (with a very few Tesla Roadster's spotted); bigger challenge now is to see any that broke the next milestone of 3000.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 63
Just throwing out a high 5 to fellow LEAFers... we finally have L3 charging working in Chicago. After owning my leaf for 2+ years, I finally used the quickcharge port a couple of weeks ago. I was able to turn on the heat and charge at the same time, and I went from about 20% to 60% in about 11 minutes. Amazing!

Now when is that 350green dude gonna go to jail? Sorry, sending photocopies of checks that were never sent is not an accounting error, it is fraud. Lockem up!

DougWantsALeaf said:
We are ev 813. I have seen Teslas in the 2300's

Just to keep tabs on how fast EV adoption is running in IL (although I still see a number of 100% EV's with standard IL, special or vanity plates) I saw a high numbered EL plate here in the NW 'burbs recently; a red Tesla with 34xx EL, so well past the 3,000 upper tier of where I thought this would be. Anything higher still?

I'm still swapping my car with my 'winter' car on occasion when it gets really cold or heavy snow is predicted but have tried a new trick read here on the forum; when it gets real cold and I don't want to wait for the heat, I shift back to D from ECO and its amazing how fast it warms up --- I'm trying to see how much more range I lose versus just 'waiting' for more heat in ECO but don't think its much plus I would cycle the heat off more quickly once its gets comfortable. I also find I'm charging 100% versus 80% as well as pre-heating when connected and before I leave work which helps as well. My LEAF is a '12 w/o the 'improved' heater but seems to heat up just fine in 'normal' mode.

At least we're not getting all the snow out east here in the Midwest ... photo is from Nashua, NH north of Boston (my son's silver Scion xA is the first car in the background -- gets to work from home today! ).

Scion%20in%20Nashua.jpg

Hi, I just got my Leaf on 1/17 and am still learning. LOVE the car! I got it from Martin Nissan in Skokie, where I believe I got a good deal but also have to say they really don't know about Leafs. Tom is a great guy though and never pushed me or did any kind of hard sell.

I still don't get the federal rebate. If you owe the IRS, will they apply the $7500 (or part of it) to your debt? If you are getting a refund, will they add the $7500 to your refund? We currently owe back taxes and I'm wondering how much we will get back next year. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it.

Also, the IL credit for installing an EVSE - if I have a friend pull the 240V to the garage and install the charger, will they still cover half the cost of the EVSE? Or do I have to use their guys to install it?

strombo1 said:
Hi, I just got my Leaf on 1/17 and am still learning. LOVE the car! I got it from Martin Nissan in Skokie, where I believe I got a good deal but also have to say they really don't know about Leafs. Tom is a great guy though and never pushed me or did any kind of hard sell.

I still don't get the federal rebate. If you owe the IRS, will they apply the $7500 (or part of it) to your debt? If you are getting a refund, will they add the $7500 to your refund? We currently owe back taxes and I'm wondering how much we will get back next year. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it.

Also, the IL credit for installing an EVSE - if I have a friend pull the 240V to the garage and install the charger, will they still cover half the cost of the EVSE? Or do I have to use their guys to install it?

Assuming you bought the Leaf and are not leasing it, (dealer gets credits on a lease,) when you file your Federal Income tax forms in 2016, for the year 2015, that's when you will receive a $7,500 credit..(say you owed $30,500 in Federal tax, it would be reduced by $7,500 so you would end up owing $23,000. If you had already paid in $25,000 you would get a $2,000 refund or a credit to your 2016 taxes..which ever way you choose.

There is also a State of Illinois rebate that you have to file for. It comes back to you as cash, so it will show up as income for you in 2015. It was, (I'm not sure what it is now,) 10% of what you paid for the car, excluding taxes and fees,...not to exceed $4,000. My rebate was around $3,200 for a '13 SL. I've forgotten the exact amount.

You need to have a EV licensed/approved electrician to qualify for the EVSE rebate. Limit on it is $2,500.

It's really too bad the dealer didn't have a salesperson or staff person willing or capable of helping you with these questions and forms. For anyone whose listening, the Autobarn in Evanston has a sales person, (Martin,) who knows the Leaf like I knew my M1 in 1960. In my sleep, I could take it apart and put it back together again. He's the same with the Leaf. A year or so after I bought the car, the 110 volt handle wouldn't release from the car, so he came to my home and he released it. (The release mechanism in the gun had broken so it was replaced under warranty.) When I tried to compensate him for his time and knowledge, he wouldn't take anything saying, "service doesn't end with the sale, you are my customer."

Get your EV plates, not the regular ones. Hope your salesman did this correctly. For a period of time, many weren't.

Enjoy your Leaf. It truly is a magnificent vehicle!!

Hope this information has been helpful.

@ greengate: thank you so much for the info! I had planned on refinancing after getting about 11k back from the government (7500 + ~3500), but now will have to reduce that figure by what we owe. Which just means the car paid our back taxes. :)

The $ comes in, the $ goes out...

Now to find out how the car handles in snow! From what I saw in the last snowfall, it's a lot better than the Prius was. That was the major complaint I had about that car.

strombo1 said:
@ greengate: thank you so much for the info! I had planned on refinancing after getting about 11k back from the government (7500 + ~3500), but now will have to reduce that figure by what we owe. Which just means the car paid our back taxes. :)

The $ comes in, the $ goes out...

Now to find out how the car handles in snow! From what I saw in the last snowfall, it's a lot better than the Prius was. That was the major complaint I had about that car.
I find it to be great..except..when going through heavy/high snow, it will power down, as if the engine has a governor. You need to watch that or you will get stuck/stranded. It's not a 7 Liter 4 wheel drive truck.

Attachments

• images-17.jpeg
    images-17.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 75
Driving with traction control turned off seems to improve traction going up my driveway which is at a slight incline.

I strongly believe that the quality of the tire varies based on production month. I imagine Nissan uses "B" stock not worthy of retail sale to save costs. My replacement Ecopias have substantially improved grip than the stock Ecopias that came with the car.

Stopped to use the charging station at Kohl's in DG. While it was free, it would have been helpful if the snow plow hadn't dumped all of the snow there!

http://home.comcast.net/~r1234567/FullSizeRender(3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).jpg

r1234567 said:
Stopped to use the charging station at Kohl's in DG. While it was free, it would have been helpful if the snow plow hadn't dumped all of the snow there!

http://home.comcast.net/~r1234567/FullSizeRender(3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).jpg

fixed your image link ... who says these stations are in 'prime' parking spots --- NOT

http://home.comcast.net/~r1234567/FullSizeRender(3).jpg

3+ years in of ownership and still haven't used one of these as the L2 in our garage is fine; I've actually proposed at least two sets of 2 L2 charging stations for work in a 5 year plan we were asked to provide (we own and don't lease our facility) to promote more EV use; lots of Prii's of all shapes and sizes among employees but mine is the only plug-in so far and to be honest would not need it (as I don't depend on public chargers for my commute). We have some who travel quite far so this would be a real plus --- we'll see and thanks for the photo!

Thought I would post it here for those in Chicagoland who might be going to the Chicago Auto Show … Chevy brought the new Volt but no Bolt (they only have a single car) and no Spark EV. Volvo brought their XC90 T8 plug-in. No EV's from MBZ (no B-class, no smart ED). Nissan brought 2 LEAF's (a base and an SL in that new shade of blue, looked great) and there was a rep from a competitor EVSE charger company promoting their new network (nrg - eVgo) being built up in Chicago. Kia had several new Soul's but the only EV was shown on a big screen projection behind them … the newest gen Soul is a step up from the last time I sat in one. Mitsu had the god awful GC-PHEV concept; it has this huge thing sticking off the back end and a REALLY high belt line just butt ugly and a really forlorn looking iMiEV … no E-Tron's this time from Audi but BMW did bring their i series again … Caddy had their ELR (which you can get a $30K discount off from at least one Cadillac dealer currently) … no VW eGolf that I could see (even though they say its there … perhaps just at the 'first look of charity') so not a great show for EV's but thats the Midwest for you.

The crowd yesterday was HUGE by the time we left so go early if you can (they open an hour early at 9AM this year), we had too much to do to go Saturday and always take the train in (missed a 40 car pile up by doing so yesterday) so while we felt badly for those folks we made the right choice again -- train is $8 for weekend pass, bus over to the show is $2.25, parking at (at least ours in Palatine) station is free on the weekends so unless you have a big group, this is the way to go.

What were our favorites? the new Miata (I've owned 2 previous) really was done quite well (although they only had a track ready version and a plain-white RHD on display behind ropes) and the new Jaguar F-type coupe. Starting since January 1st, IL has finally joined 47 other states in changing what you pay in sales tax when leasing (not based on the entire sales price but the actual lease payments) so perhaps a new Jag is in my future … ahh, wishful thinking.

Saw a few EV's charging near the train stations on the NW line into Ogilvie (all Teslas) which is encouraging but EV ownership is still really in its infancy here unlike what's seen in the West; same goes for the car shows. We have more low single digits temps for highs coming up next week but at least not all the snow out towards Boston, perfect time to check out the new shiny cars.

redLEAF said:
Thought I would post it here for those in Chicagoland who might be going to the Chicago Auto Show … Chevy brought the new Volt but no Bolt (they only have a single car) and no Spark EV. Volvo brought their XC90 T8 plug-in. No EV's from MBZ (no B-class, no smart ED). Nissan brought 2 LEAF's (a base and an SL in that new shade of blue, looked great) and there was a rep from a competitor EVSE charger company promoting their new network (nrg - eVgo) being built up in Chicago. Kia had several new Soul's but the only EV was shown on a big screen projection behind them … the newest gen Soul is a step up from the last time I sat in one. Mitsu had the god awful GC-PHEV concept; it has this huge thing sticking off the back end and a REALLY high belt line just butt ugly and a really forlorn looking iMiEV … no E-Tron's this time from Audi but BMW did bring their i series again … Caddy had their ELR (which you can get a $30K discount off from at least one Cadillac dealer currently) … no VW eGolf that I could see (even though they say its there … perhaps just at the 'first look of charity') so not a great show for EV's but thats the Midwest for you.

The crowd yesterday was HUGE by the time we left so go early if you can (they open an hour early at 9AM this year), we had too much to do to go Saturday and always take the train in (missed a 40 car pile up by doing so yesterday) so while we felt badly for those folks we made the right choice again -- train is $8 for weekend pass, bus over to the show is $2.25, parking at (at least ours in Palatine) station is free on the weekends so unless you have a big group, this is the way to go.

What were our favorites? the new Miata (I've owned 2 previous) really was done quite well (although they only had a track ready version and a plain-white RHD on display behind ropes) and the new Jaguar F-type coupe. Starting since January 1st, IL has finally joined 47 other states in changing what you pay in sales tax when leasing (not based on the entire sales price but the actual lease payments) so perhaps a new Jag is in my future … ahh, wishful thinking.

Saw a few EV's charging near the train stations on the NW line into Ogilvie (all Teslas) which is encouraging but EV ownership is still really in its infancy here unlike what's seen in the West; same goes for the car shows. We have more low single digits temps for highs coming up next week but at least not all the snow out towards Boston, perfect time to check out the new shiny cars.
Great report..thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Sad to see the marginal interest in the EV's.

Mostly do to this , I suspect.

Attachments

• gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 40
Anybody know if the Illinois ev rebate program has been suspended by Rauner's budget cuts? I bought my Leaf in December 2014 and submitted my rebate application for the February 1 deadline. Haven't heard anything yet.

rich6350 said:
Anybody know if the Illinois ev rebate program has been suspended by Rauner's budget cuts? I bought my Leaf in December 2014 and submitted my rebate application for the February 1 deadline. Haven't heard anything yet.

Well, at least this listing on the IL Green Fleets site (which processes the EV rebates) stated that the 2014 (last year) was suspended.

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/rebates/index

so best bet would be to call the IL EPA agency to see if this was updated for 2015; this number is your best bet (217) 557-1441 and Darwin Burkhart
[email protected]

As always, others in Chicagoland might be in the same situation so if you call post the results here in case someone is contemplating an EV purchase (leases are not covered).

Back