Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf post small December sales

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Train

DETROIT – This was the year General Motors Co. and Nissan made good on their promise to bring mass-produced electric cars to the market. But don't count on seeing one in traffic soon. Sales so far have been microscopic and they're likely to stay that way for some time because of limited supplies.

GM sold between 250 and 350 Chevy Volts this month and Nissan's sales totaled less than 10 Leaf sedans in the past two weeks. Production for both is slowly ramping up.

It will be well into 2012 before both the Volt and Leaf are available nationwide. And if you're interested in buying one, you'll need to get behind the 50,000 people already on waiting lists.

*snip*

Japan-based Nissan initially sent only 10 Leafs to the U.S. and spokesman David Reuter said a second shipment of around 90 cars that arrived by cargo ship on Dec. 23 is on the way to dealers. Nissan won't give estimates on how many Leaf sedans it expects to sell in the U.S. next year, but says it has capacity to make 50,000 annually at a plant in Oppama, Japan. Those will be sold in Japan, the U.S. and Europe.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101231/ap_on_bi_ge/electric_car_sales

That's misleading BS. I cannot speak for the Volt, but the Leaf would have had KILLER "sales" this year had there been availability.

The article mentions microscopic 'sales' when it should have talked about demand vs availability. But given the city of the articles' origin (Detroit), it's about what I expected.
:evil:

Jimmydreams said:
The article mentions microscopic 'sales' when it should have talked about demand vs availability
In the same sentence as "microscopic sales", it also states the reason: limited availability, and this is further quatified until 2012 in the following text. I does say that the waiting list is 50.000; that's with little availability, so one could assume there is at least some demand...

tps said:
In the same sentence as "microscopic sales", it also states the reason: limited availability, and this is further quatified until 2012 in the following text. I does say that the waiting list is 50.000; that's with little availability, so one could assume there is at least some demand...
True - but who reads the article ? People go by headlines.

ps : Have you seen all those headlines about how BYD EV sales are so low in China ?

evnow said:
True - but who reads the article ? People go by headlines.

ps : Have you seen all those headlines about how BYD EV sales are so low in China ?

I read the entire article, but then again I'm not your average person or I wouldn't be buying the first mass-produced electric car. I guess that means none of us are "average" ;)

If one went by headlines alone it would seem that BYD's EV is a dismal failure. But of course the fact is, China's auto market is very different from the US. For one thing the price of BYD's EVs in China is orders of magnitude higher than a regular car and hardly anyone can afford them. Plus, very few in China have houses with garages that have accessible electrical outlets. If BYD were to release their EV in the US without raising the price much above what they've targeted for their home market, assuming they can stick to planned specs and meet US safety standards, I'm confident that they would actually do fairly well selling them here. But I cannot imagine what's involved in launching a new car in a new market. And your average person doesn't read up on these things...

Does anyone have stats on EV sales in the U.S. with breakdowns for production, conversions, fleets, privately-owned(leased),
and/or by make and model, etc., ....? I'm curious at what point will sales of LEAFs exceed pre-LEAF EV sales(leases) or production.

My guess would be that Nissan's CY 2010-2011 LEAF sales will blow through this number, but that's just a wag.

smk,

In case that was a response to my query, I was referring to a tally of pre-LEAF EVs
(Volt not included since it's non-EV) i.e., EV1s, RAV4s, Mini Es, Tesla Roadsters, Ford Ranger EVs, etc. ,....

Back