Chevy Spark EV vs Nissan Leaf need purchase advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DanCar said:
... Has anyone reported a loss of a bar with the new lizard battery?
Not that I have seen.
They have only been in service since June 2014.
15% capacity loss in six months was pretty unlikely even with the 2011 / 2012 battery.

DanCar said:
TimLee said:
15% capacity loss in six months was pretty unlikely even with the 2011 / 2012 battery.
That did happen with some Phoenix drivers.
Yes, dreamer reported first bar loss at 4.4 months after in service, seven months after manufacture date.
Were a couple more at six months or seven months.

DaveinOlyWA said:
whatever...

No need to pout. Whether I'm right, or you're right, is now irrelevant with the announcement of the amended Klee settlement proposal. Assuming it goes through, all replacement batteries will not only be new, but use the improved chemistry of the 2015+ models.

The fact that he mentions the Spark has no fast charger (as if he had a fast charger near by to use) probably indicates where he is leaning. Fast charging truly is a great tool and really makes the LEAF much more usable. Its one thing to be lucky enough to have L2 at your destination but that really limits the options (for me at least) But having an L3 on the route is much more common and a lot of people take exception to stopping for 30 mins or whatever it takes to get the charge but there are trade offs to every decision so mitigate it. EV Bias is not really that hard to do.

Charge for 15 minutes if 30 is too long. Its a much more efficient use of your time anyway and now you are barely longer than a pitstop.

Did you bother to look at PlugShare to see if he even can use QC? According to PlugShare, there is one such unit for the entire state of Nevada and it's in Henderson. IMHO that's not all that particularly useful unless you need to drive between the northern part of Vegas and Hoover Dam all the time.

OTOH the Spark's liquid TMS will be far more useful given the summer temps of that region.

In the Phoenix metro area, and have a '15 with almost 4k miles (in 3 months :shock: ) I quick charge, as well as charge nightly and opportunity charge, I have NOT lost any bars.

RonDawg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
whatever...

No need to pout. Whether I'm right, or you're right, is now irrelevant with the announcement of the amended Klee settlement proposal. Assuming it goes through, all replacement batteries will not only be new, but use the improved chemistry of the 2015+ models.

The fact that he mentions the Spark has no fast charger (as if he had a fast charger near by to use) probably indicates where he is leaning. Fast charging truly is a great tool and really makes the LEAF much more usable. Its one thing to be lucky enough to have L2 at your destination but that really limits the options (for me at least) But having an L3 on the route is much more common and a lot of people take exception to stopping for 30 mins or whatever it takes to get the charge but there are trade offs to every decision so mitigate it. EV Bias is not really that hard to do.

Charge for 15 minutes if 30 is too long. Its a much more efficient use of your time anyway and now you are barely longer than a pitstop.

Did you bother to look at PlugShare to see if he even can use QC? According to PlugShare, there is one such unit for the entire state of Nevada and it's in Henderson. IMHO that's not all that particularly useful unless you need to drive between the northern part of Vegas and Hoover Dam all the time.

OTOH the Spark's liquid TMS will be far more useful given the summer temps of that region.

oh my bad. thought he was in TN for some reason?? :oops:

Way too early to be definitive...

mikesus said:
In the Phoenix metro area, and have a '15 with almost 4k miles (in 3 months :shock: ) I quick charge, as well as charge nightly and opportunity charge, I have NOT lost any bars.

TomT said:
Way too early to be definitive...

mikesus said:
Exactly! It took '11 Leafs entering their 2nd summer in Phoenix for the the capacity bar losses to rear their heads.

Back