Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found the following statement regarding the trim levels:

Finally, for curious minds, Chevrolet won’t offer too much variety with the Bolt EV. [Chevrolet product manager, Shad] Balch stated most of the major options such as connectivity and creature comforts will be loaded at base-spec models.

“There will be some options, but the base car will have most of our content and connectivity features, including active safety features,” he remarked. “That will all be standard from the lower trim level.”

Source: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/chevrolet-explains-how-the-2016-volt-and-2017-bolt-ev-cater-to-different-customers/#ixzz47nIJ9GhK

We already know, there will be no adaptive cruise control with the Bolt, not even as an option.
Now I wonder: Does the wireless phone charging come with the base trim level? ;)

Considering all the caveats about it and that you can't use it anyway if you are using AA -- which I use all the time; love it! -- or ACP, I could not care less.

Newbie said:
Now I wonder: Does the wireless phone charging come with the base trim level? ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
Looks like a pair of Bolts drove the West Coast and were in Western WA a few days ago. no idea what their destination is but guessing they might be headed back when they reach Canada?

Dave, someone posted this on the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association page. They spotted one quick charging in downtown Portland.

There are 7 Bolts driving from LA to Seattle. Two of them stopped by at Electric Avenue this morning. They are Manufacturer Test Vehicles doing test runs at the chargers along the way.

They have encrypted two way radios that they are using to talk to each other as they drive along and keep in touch. At one point I saw the display in the vehicle showing a range of 199 miles. It was roughly 85 % charged suggesting a range of about 230+ miles.

The more I think about it, the more I think GM is going to do with the Bolt what they did with the Volt, and Toyota with the Prius PHEV. I think they will offer a fairly-well-optioned "Base" model and a fully-optioned, much more expensive "Premium" ("Advanced" with the Prius) model. Given that, I'm wondering if the four camera system and video rear mirror will be an option for both, or will only come with the expensive version. If the latter is the case, the Leaf is going to look better to me. Plus, I have all these accessories (cover, spare, snow tires, Juke wheels) that would fit a 2017 Leaf, but not, obviously, a Bolt.

LeftieBiker said:
The camera system and video rear mirror that I'd want have been referred to as options in the ads, so far.

That is very interesting. For me personally, the video rear mirror would not be important, if it makes me save $100/month. But what camera system, just the regular backup camera? Must come with the vehicle as standard, as backup camera is federally mandated now, is it not?

The Nissan 4 camera system is part of the "Premium Package" and it's a fantastic camera system for parking. It synthesizes an overhead view of the car, using 4 cameras mounted front, rear, and on the side mirrors. Chevy will be offering something similar on the Bolt, plus a video monitor in the rearview mirror that fills the mirror when on, with the view behind the car, minus the interior. I'd want both, but at the very least the 4 camera system.

*lol* The local Chevrolet dealership, regarding being able to order their allocation of a Bolt today, there was a little misunderstanding. Turns out they looked at the wrong row of the 2017 model year roll out sheet, and it was the info for the new 2017 Cruze hatchback. Unfortunately, it is not possible for them to order any allocation yet, and I am sad, because it seems then that possibly the first Bolt will not arrive in Connecticut by November or December, as they said the other day (looking at the Cruze Hatchback) but maybe it is going to be next year. I did not want to wait that long... Still now it looks like I have to... For the Bolt I also would have accepted a higher leasing rate. With the SV Leaf lease deal being at about $300/mo with everything rolled in and nothing due at time of signing, I would have been willing to have a higher monthly rate for the Bolt, even though it does not have No Charge To Charge and no dealerships to get a DC Quick charge for free from. Now I wonder if Nissan will have the 40kW Leaf at dealerships before the Bolt is at dealerships around here... ;)

Interesting musings by john Voelcker at GCR on the philosophy of and market of the Bolt:
Chevy Bolt EV electric car for 'urban' sales: what does that mean?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1105483_chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-for-urban-sales-what-does-that-mean

RegGuheert said:
This Car and Driver review of the ChevyBolt indicates that
Car and Driver said:
...the battery pack accounts for 23 percent of the Bolt’s estimated $37,500 base price...
That comes to $8625 for the 60-kWh battery pack or $144/kWh.

It seems prices for large LI-ion batteries are coming down quite rapidly!

this means the Bolt is the near equivalent of a $30,000 car? I haven't seen that yet. must the added value of seeing the car in person... :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
RegGuheert said:
This Car and Driver review of the ChevyBolt indicates that
Car and Driver said:
...the battery pack accounts for 23 percent of the Bolt’s estimated $37,500 base price...
That comes to $8625 for the 60-kWh battery pack or $144/kWh.

It seems prices for large LI-ion batteries are coming down quite rapidly!

this means the Bolt is the near equivalent of a $30,000 car? I haven't seen that yet. must the added value of seeing the car in person... :)

:) it costs about $50 million to bring over a new car from other countries.
:) :) + there are BEV factor of ignorance/safety issues to be validated against
even with LG providing $145/kwh cells, there could be $100million of added costs to be amortized.
then there is the vehicle specific R&D costs.

so yeah its a $12k car + $8k battery + $10k R&D + $4k uncertainty + $4k for dealers
whats missing, still no profit, at least until uncertainty dissipates.

The review mentions sub seven second 0-60MPH times and nice firm handling. It sounds like a quick little sports car in eco-box clothing, and that is worth paying extra. I'm not sure how much extra, though: if Nissan actually offers good deals on a 40kwh Leaf while GM doesn't even offer zero percent 72 month financing or good lease incentives, I might get another Leaf - regretfully.

Valdemar said:
LeftieBiker said:
if Nissan actually offers good deals on a 17kwh Leaf

You should be able to find a very good deal on a 2011 with the original out of warranty pack in your area ;)

Not likely. In order to find such a car in upstate NY it would have to be shipped in from out of state. Nissan did not sell 2011s in NY - they started with 2012 (with the cold weather package). I'm not sure how common it would be to ship a used EV to upstate NY to resell it. BEVs in general don't exactly sell all that well up here.

NeilBlanchard said:
The Bolt EV is looking very tempting!
A very interesting article on the regen paddles that will be used on the upcoming Bolt. I really like the idea but do worry whether the break lights will come on when using regen, on the Bolt it's so strong it will actually bring the vehicle to a stop without pressing on the break pedal....
I think were coming to a time when the break light should be more controlled by deceleration than a mechanical switch mounted to the break pedal......at least IMO.
http://www.hybridcars.com/chevrolet-teases-2017-bolt-ev-regen-on-demand-paddle/

jjeff said:
NeilBlanchard said:
The Bolt EV is looking very tempting!
A very interesting article on the regen paddles that will be used on the upcoming Bolt. I really like the idea but do worry whether the break lights will come on when using regen, on the Bolt it's so strong it will actually bring the vehicle to a stop without pressing on the break pedal....
I think were coming to a time when the break light should be more controlled by deceleration than a mechanical switch mounted to the break pedal......at least IMO.
http://www.hybridcars.com/chevrolet-teases-2017-bolt-ev-regen-on-demand-paddle/
I don't know if the U.S. adheres to this yet (it definitely applies in the EU), but the U.N (i.e. international) reg. states that for regen braking, at decelerations

<= 0.7 m/s² The signal [i.e. brake light] shall not be generated

> 0.7 m/s² <= 1.3 m/s² The signal may be generated

> 1.3 m/s² The signal shall be generated

In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0.7 m/s².[/quote]
As they intend to sell it in Europe as an Ampera, the Bolt may well have it here.

Updated Ampera-e and Bolt EV range estimates are being released Tuesday.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-electric-range-announcement-coming-tomorrow/

Back