Charging timer: start time based on END time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank, From other discussions, if you only set a start time, then it will start as it passes that moment in time. However, if you plug the car in after the start time has passed, the next available start time is nearly 24 hours away.

I like your original question. You set a start timer at midnight. You set a 100% end timer at 1am. You plug the car in at 11pm.
IF the car is nearly empty. Will the End timer override the Start timer because it needs all two hours between 11pm and 1AM.
OR will the car wait for midnight, start charging and end 1 hour later only partially charged.

If the first is true, then when you place an End timer, there will be no easy way to prevent charging at expensive times as it will want to charge early and bump it often until it is finished well before the End time.

If the second scenario is true, then when you end the day nearly empty and your know your Start - End interval is too short for a full charge, you will certainly want to use the 'immediate charge' button on the dash to override the timers.

Only one way to find out. Experimentation. It isn't hard to work with either option, it is just the need to know which pattern the programmers decided upon to decide how to interact with the computer.

Interesting behavior...arrived home late last night, approximately a half-hour after charging would have normally started with the 2am end time I have set. I was thinking when I plugged in that I would have missed the window for using the timer, and would need to hit the manual charge start switch to override. However, when I plugged the EVSE in charging started immediately, without any manual intervention.

mwalsh said:
Interesting behavior...arrived home late last night, approximately a half-hour after charging would have normally started with the 2am end time I have set. I was thinking when I plugged in that I would have missed the window for using the timer, and would need to hit the manual charge start switch to override. However, when I plugged the EVSE in charging started immediately, without any manual intervention.

Last night I got to charging much later than normal, because we went out to dinner. When I plugged in, the car started charging as it did on this previous late arrival night. But guess what......there wasn't enough time to charge to 100% and the charging quit at precisely 2am at only 67% charged. I wasn't completely surprised to see this and, in retrospect, should have probably also hit the timer override button inside the car.

Mike, does an end time need to be set or will just a start time do and the car shuts off charging when it is full? Is there some advantage to setting an end time?

Kataphn said:
Mike, does an end time need to be set or will just a start time do and the car shuts off charging when it is full? Is there some advantage to setting an end time?

Well, to be honest, we're not really sure. It could be that there is a very slight range advantage or at least more time allowed for the battery balancing.

But as of now, I'm doing it simply because that's the way the timer is currently set. :D

cool stuff being learned here. I don't get the reason for wanting to set a end time if you care about just staying in the best TOU times. Why not just always set the timer to use a start time to match best TOU rate? Are the lowest rates only available for a time frame that limits the car from fully charging?

I ask this because I do some work with smart charging and end based timing is a use case that hasn't made much sense to me. I think there are just too many variables in the mix that could cause a end user to not get a full charge when they next need the vehicle but I can be swayed..

Strange behavior tonight, although looking a few posts back in this thread, maybe not...

We have an 8pm 80% charging timer set, 7 days a week. Yesterday (Saturday) we didn't drive all that much, and did not plug in. This evening (Sunday 7pm), I decided to go ahead and plug in, as we'll need the full 83% tomorrow. I plugged in expecting the car to NOT start charging until the next timer was reached (tonight's 8pm timer)...but the car started charging right away, and from what I can tell, it thinks it is fulfilling yesterday's 8pm timer start (albeit 23 hours late).

I am 100% sure that early on (first few days we had the car) I saw the opposite behavior (ie plug in at 9pm when an 8pm timer was in place - and NO charge start)...and I can't quite imagine that the firmware got changed on the fly since then. I had concluded that the "no start if you're past the start time and there is no end time" was correct behavior, because a late start could push you into a higher TOU rate at the other end. What if I had plugged the car in at noon today? (I don't have TOU-based rates, but I could, and that would have resulted in a pretty expensive charge). Now it appears that an unfulfilled timer will kick on even if it's no longer the same day.

I wonder what it will do 45 minutes from now when it's still charging on the 8pm Saturday timer, and the 8pm Sunday timer start time is reached...

Jimmy - are you seeing any power being pulled from the EVSE in between the "eq-bumps"?

The topic of BMS equalization came up here and would be nice to know.

Thanks!

Jimmy,

Where did you capture this pretty display? Is it from CarWings via a smartphone? I tried to find something similar in the index of the Owner's Manual and the Nav Manual and gave up.

If it came from the Nav display, please reply with the menu sequence to access it.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

I woke up to this:

Screenshot2011-01-13at52556AM.png

A new record high for available miles!!

Back