Charging on generator stops after a minute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aatheus

Hi all

I originally followed Ingineer's suggests on http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792&start=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to charge my 2012 LEAF SL on my 240v 7kW generator, and it worked great! However, on my 2014 S (with the 6kW onboard charger), I am seeing odd behavior. The car starts charging, indicating 3kW on the dash. After ~ 51-55 seconds, the charging lights turn off and the EVSE returns to "waiting for a car" mode, as if the car was suddenly unplugged. I checked the voltage on both 120v outlets while the car was charging on 240v. Neither outlet dipped below 121v on my cheap voltmeter.

I'm using the Panasonic Gen1 upgraded EVSE (16A mode). I have a 2w 100kOhm resistor tying ground and neutral together, on the L14-30 connector. Any thoughts on what might be going on? Car reliably powers up with no error lights on the dash after each aborted charge.

I don't think the resistor is needed with 240 volts. I would try charging without.

Before you remove the resistor... have you tried charging at 120v from the generator?

The resistor is definitely needed, as this generator does not strap neutral and ground together. There is no ground reference. It is an isolated generator.

Back