Charge to 80% or 100%??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I remember is that if you charge to 100 percent, you want to burn off that extra 20 percent almost immediately. If you can't, just charge to 80 percent. I don't charge until I'm below 50 percent as well.

johnrhansen said:
The way I remember is that if you charge to 100 percent, you want to burn off that extra 20 percent almost immediately. If you can't, just charge to 80 percent. I don't charge until I'm below 50 percent as well.

You'll hear conflicting things, but what john says is the most common belief.

Collecting facts about the battery charge is relatively easy. Deciding which ones are going to work for you is the hard part.

I don't usually drop a joke before providing something useful. I couldn't help myself this time. There has been a lot written on the subject. This 27 pager will get you started. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But really:
- Charge to 80% if you want the battery to last longer.
- Charge to 100% if you need it to get where you're going.
- Time spent AT 100% is what gradually reduces capacity. So use it after you put it in.

We have learned that battery temperature (heat) is a lot more worrisome than the charge level.

jeredcady said:
Should I be charging my Leaf to 80% or 100% on a nightly basis? I get conflicting accounts.

I am charging to 100% nightly, and looking at reports and data from various sites it seems in colder climates the 100% charge doesn't seem to matter. I minimize the time at 100% by using timer. Also do you really need 100% charge range?

I am charging to 100%. I am leasing and not planning on keep the car. I believe the dealership will replace the battery before they sale it. But I am leasing for 36 mo's. I enjoy driving my car and will get a new leaf when I turn in this one. I am hoping they will come out with a better battery

David W.
Austin,Texas

If you can do all the driving you want/need, comfortably, on 80%, charge to 80%. If not, then charge to 100%. The car is meant to serve you, not the other way around. Use an end timer so that you reach 100% as close to the time to leave as you can.

Back