Charge timer starting early/immediately

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keraba

Maybe someone can explain this to me. I have a relatively short commute. When I get home,
the dashboard says that recharging would take 6 hours at 120V. But despite having a timer
set to be done by 5am, it will start charging immediately at 4pm. Other evidence that the
timer is active is that it only charges to 80%. I can understand it budgetting an extra 25%
of time to make sure it finishes in time, but more than 100% ???

Anyone have any idea whats happening ?

keraba said:
Maybe someone can explain this to me. I have a relatively short commute. When I get home,
the dashboard says that recharging would take 6 hours at 120V. But despite having a timer
set to be done by 5am, it will start charging immediately at 4pm. Other evidence that the
timer is active is that it only charges to 80%. I can understand it budgetting an extra 25%

What are your timer settings exactly?

Is this timer set to charge from -- to 5AM to 80%? ALL DAYS? or only for tomorrow? are they enabled?
The logic becomes a bit funky if you have different timers for different days of the week
Does your leaf show "Charging timer is on"?
If you don't have a timer for today and there's timer for tomorrow, it could start immediately charging to 100%, and terminate after midnight when charge reached 80% (Or at least that would be logical, I never tried this kind of setup...)

UkrainianKozak said:
What are your timer settings exactly?

Is this timer set to charge from -- to 5AM to 80%? ALL DAYS?

yes

UkrainianKozak said:
or only for tomorrow? are they enabled?

All the days of the week are checked, and under Set Days,
all the days belong to timer 1.

UkrainianKozak said:
The logic becomes a bit funky if you have different timers for different days of the week

I don't see that phrase anywhere. Timer 1 is enabled though.

UkrainianKozak said:
If you don't have a timer for today and there's timer for tomorrow, it could start immediately charging to 100%, and terminate after midnight when charge reached 80% (Or at least that would be logical, I never tried this kind of setup...)

I'm beginning to think its worse than that, and that there's a bug.
I suspect that if your end time is set for 5am (for example)
which would be *tomorrow*, and you plug in the cable,
then it thinks, "There's no timer *today*. I'd better start charging."

One time, I drove the car all the way to work, where we have
chargers and wouldn't you know it ? The timer decided to work
and didn't charge my car (since it was waiting for night time.)
<sigh>

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the response.

It does seem odd. Mine starts pretty close to the estimated time.
But I have not been on L1 for some time.

I wonder if it uses the 100% for the start estimate :roll:

Do you have only one timer set? No chance of overlap?

smkettner said:
It does seem odd. Mine starts pretty close to the estimated time.
But I have not been on L1 for some time.

I wonder if it uses the 100% for the start estimate :roll:

Do you have only one timer set? No chance of overlap?

Timer2 is disabled (and has no days assigned to it.)

I may be wrong, but I believe I read on another thread that the start and end timers do not work correctly on L1 charging. That may be your problem.

keraba said:
UkrainianKozak said:
I don't see that phrase anywhere. Timer 1 is enabled though.
I just noticed this the other day. It's on the dashboard right after you turn the car off. It's only displayed for a few seconds. I'm not sure if there's another way to display it.

Attachments

• ChgTimer.jpg
    ChgTimer.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 144
keraba said:

Mine is set up similar; no start time, end time 05:40, 80%. It's been working fine with L2.

I just tried plugging in the L1 EVSE, and it seems to work with that also.

What happens is the car seems to have the EVSE turn on briefly, then turns off and the timer countdown begins (the blue lights light up one after the other to signify).

- Are you sure that both clocks in the vehicle are correctly set?

Disconnecting the 12V service battery for 10 minutes has been reported to cure odd behaviors. There is a specific protocol for disconnecting that's been posted on the forum...

Did a search and found this post, I have had the same issue with the leaf I have been driving this week. My Charge timer is set only on timer 1, start time blank, end time of 6a and 80% Charge for all days. When I plug in after getting home it starts charging right away and goes to 100%. I corrected it one evening by setting the timer again after plug in. The next night it did not correct it with the same procedure. At this time I only have a Level 1 charger as I am in the process of buying my leaf.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with/correcting this issue?

Clear the timer and start over. It starts right away because you are on L1 and it needs to. You can upgrade your existing cord for L2 charging and it won't start until later. You likely made a mistake on the timer settings.

greensith said:
Did a search and found this post, I have had the same issue with the leaf I have been driving this week. My Charge timer is set only on timer 1, start time blank, end time of 6a and 80% Charge for all days. When I plug in after getting home it starts charging right away and goes to 100%. I corrected it one evening by setting the timer again after plug in. The next night it did not correct it with the same procedure. At this time I only have a Level 1 charger as I am in the process of buying my leaf.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with/correcting this issue?
Before you plug in, are any of the dashboard charging lights lit up (the three blue ones)?

What time did you plug in, how empty was the battery, and what was the estimated time to charge that was displayed? The timer is notoriously pessimistic when it comes to deciding when to start for an end-time only charge. If the time to charge was 12-15hrs and the timer "fudged" another 1-2 hrs, you could have the start time end up being 3-4PM the previous day.

Nubo already mentioned this, but be sure the clock on the center console is set correctly. This updates itself from Carwings, but depends on your settings:

Menu (silver button, right side of screen) -> Settings -> Other -> Clock.
  • Set On-screen Clock on.
  • Set Clock Format however you want it.
  • Set both offsets to zero (unless you have a weird case).
  • Set Daylight Savings Time on if and when it is used where you are.
  • Set Time Zone to your zone.

Note: If you use DST you have to turn it on manually in the spring and off manually in the fall.

Ray

I did check all the clocks, I am actually a bit neurotic about things like that lol.

As for the state of the car, I plugged in at 5p ET and the time to charge 120v was about 9 hours. I have the end time set for 6a ET as I leave at 7a typically. The charge was 3 above red (5 total) with 36m range left.

Thanks for the questions/suggestions so far, I have only had the car since Sat. I am automatically I am assuming I am messing something up, atleast until I test/try everything folks suggest. This is a loaner from the dealer I am buying from to allow me to put the car to tests within my normal commutes before I buy. I have pulled the trigger and will pick up mine on Sat.

Did not get a chance to try the multiple timer idea, I turn in the loaner tomorrow and will pick up my new Leaf. I am rather excited! Once I have that one, I will try this if it exhibits the same issues.

Back