Charge port door license plate experiment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
Why not cut out the number area? That would seem to settle the legality issue.

Yes, I am thinking of doing that now. Or maybe switch to clear (instead of smoked) plastic.

The original door is in two halves, joined together by screws, sticky tape, and two pop rivets under the Nissan Logo.
It is a small amount of work to separate the two to make the bottom plate ready for this mod.
The bottom plate is irregular with various holes, so I attached a piece of sticky black vinyl to the bottom plate (underneath the license plate) so that it looks better.

The top acrylic sticks up slightly at the bottom (I wasn't able to shape it exactly the same as the OEM lid), but it actually works out well because it makes it easier to grab the edge when opening the door to charge.

Also the top two screws needed to let the top part rise a bit above the frame, so I put a couple of springs around the screws between the bottom plate and the top plate so I could tighten down the screws just the right amount until the top of the acrylic was flush with the hood.

davewill said:
Why not cut out the number area? That would seem to settle the legality issue.

I cut out the number area (and the California script) and inset a totally clear piece (instead of the smoked) so it is still smooth, but you can read the plate now at night.

platemount2.jpg

platemount3.jpg

They are just flat pieces cut with a Dremel tool saw attachment.
The screws bend the material to (mostly) conform to the shape of the charge port door.
(They are somewhat flexible, but would likely crack if I tried to bend them too far.)

TEG, I love your idea and I was wondering if anyone has investigated the cost of a replacement charge port door body panel? Anyone have a part number for the panel? What is the material of the panel?

Variation on TEG's idea if the price on the panel is reasonable is to experiment with modifying the panel to accommodate the plate in different ways. I can see having the panel cut out in a machine shop and have the plate under the panel or perhaps just screw the plate to the panel with standoffs.

The charge port door is a "sandwich" with a metal bottom (attached to the hinges) and a top piece which says "ABS" (plastic) on its' bottom.
I can't tell for sure if the top piece is 100% ABS, or ABS with a metal lid. In any case the top is painted body color with the Nissan logo emblem. I have this set aside and can re tape/screw it onto the bottom metal "carrier" if I ever want to put the car back to stock.

The bottom metal bit has a lot of creases, and holes, so the sides would look ugly if you looked next to the license plate. So I got a thin sheet of adhesive vinyl and "wrapped" the top of the metal plate so the edges around the license plate just have a smooth flat-black look. (Basically so it blends in.)

Note, the pop-rivets on the Nissan logo go through both the top and bottom pieces of the charge door. I had to drill them out a little until I could separate the top piece from the bottom. The logo is still attached to the top piece, but not quite as much as before since I made the rivet heads more narrow to get it to come lose from the bottom.

If someone made up a commercial kit of all this I think it would sell well with the Leaf community.

I'm running no front plate and am just going to trust luck that I don't get ticketed since I've seen no front option that was not either really ugly and/or screwed up the aerodynamics too much. This one is an exception to that rule.

mogur said:
If someone made up a commercial kit of all this I think it would sell well with the Leaf community.
I totally agree! Of course I have no idea what it would cost to have a custom body panel molded for this and what quanity would need to be ordered to make it worthwhile. I am still hoping someone will supply the part number for the stock charge port door body panel as well.

I have been thinking about this mod again recently as I am not completely satisfied with my current solution of using a tow hook receptacle plate mount.

I would still like to find a reasonably priced source for the top piece of the door as I do not wish to experiment with the original door.

My thought is that it might be possible to precision laser cut an opening in the existing top piece of the door to allow mounting of the plate underneath. If this turns out to be the case I can certainly offer to perform the mod for others once I determine the feasibility of the mod and cost of time and materials.

I don't have the front license plate mounted on my Leaf. I just can't see any police bothering with the Leaf. I've described on a different thread why I have the hidden plate on my 6. I've been in California two years now and have yet to have any police attention, unlike Colorado, where the 6 was seen as a rolling ATM (I was once pulled over and ticketed by Colorado State Patrol for going four miles over the posted highway speed limit in my 6; on the same road, a couple years before, when I had an '06 GTO, I was pulled over and merely warned for 12 over).

Unless you're driving like a complete asshat, and I doubt any Leaf owners would, I just can't see any police even looking at the car, frankly.

BTW, our Leaf windows are tinted well darker than the law allows. I pass local gendarmes daily and they don't look twice at me.

I've been driving without front license plate for a year, but one day my wife takes the car and gets pulled over. She didn't get a ticket, just a verbal warning about that and also that there is a plastic cover on the rear license plate as well. I removed the plastic cover, but still drive without front license plate while searching for good solutions to this.

IBELEAF said:
I've been driving without front license plate for a year, but one day my wife takes the car and gets pulled over. She didn't get a ticket, just a verbal warning about that and also that there is a plastic cover on the rear license plate as well. I removed the plastic cover, but still drive without front license plate while searching for good solutions to this.
Jagular's solution on his 645ci is really cool - may do it on my weekend car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZR-m7SNrrU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I wanted to do the second I got my Leaf. I ordered a replacement cover here:
http://www.everythingnissan.com/2012-Leaf-SV-Door-p/657103na2a-1501684-1257743.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will try and set the plate right into the door and see how it comes out. I might do a finish rubber around the metal. I am not sure yet. I have a couple of buddies that I think will have fun with this mod and I will watch them do their magic.

I have a lease, so this is why I bought a new cover. I can replace the old one back, when I turn the car in. I will post a pic when I get it finished. I figure three weeks from now or so.

BTW- I have a 1995 Wrangler and don't have a front plate on that either. Never been hassled. I do carry the plate in the car with me, just in case.

Front plates just look bad on most cars and I think this mod will make it look less bad and might even look good!

I don't consider it an experiment anymore. It is holding up fine 2 years later. I get compliments on it some times. Even the dealer seems to like it.

TEG said:
I don't consider it an experiment anymore. It is holding up fine 2 years later. I get compliments on it some times. Even the dealer seems to like it.

I think it looks great. My state doesn't require front plates or I'd be asking for someone to make me one like yours.

Only took me a couple of hours, but my plates almost three months! The mod is complete:

http://www.wholesalemagic.com/product_images/i/749/IMG_3632__08115_zoom.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cut two slits from the bottom of the plate and bent them back, about half inch across each. Two new holes on top to go thru two stems. Just slid in place. Cut away where I wanted the plate to show. used black Edge Trim from O'Reilly Auto Parts. ($15.00)

As stated above I bought a new OEM cover from Nissan. I leased so I will replace the equipment back when I turn it in.

I think it looks cool!!
Now back to work. :)

Back