Change in CarWings texts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wennfred said:
I must have my Carwings notifications turned off as I have never received a text message yet. Iphone 5, AT&T:

You have to turn it on in the car via CW settings.
Unfortunately, that won't prevent the "separate text message for each event" problem that we've had since Nissan has (apparently) changed implementations.

I have the same problem now. Each time I get a message it's from a different number, increasing sequentially by one.
This is annoying as it creates a new thread/conversation instead of grouping them together as one.

ericsf said:
... It's so annoying for me that I'm considering turning it off completely. Does anyone have a less drastic solution?
I've always used email for notifications. Of course, I also delete them as soon as I read them. In Gmail, like notifications (same subject) get grouped in one thread.

Now I'm not getting any texts at all (again). If Nissan is trying to impress me so I'll PAY for CarWings (eventually), they're not doing a very good job of it. I know it's not coverage issues (or even server issues--because I can get status via the app), but consistently getting emails and texts are critical to CW.

Stanton said:
Now I'm not getting any texts at all (again). If Nissan is trying to impress me so I'll PAY for CarWings (eventually), they're not doing a very good job of it. I know it's not coverage issues (or even server issues--because I can get status via the app), but consistently getting emails and texts are critical to CW.

that really begs the question; does anyone plan to maintain Carwings after the trial period? I lease so wont have to make that decision but generally speaking, public charging status is my prime concern (knowing if I have been unplugged) and all of them tell me if I am unplugged or charge complete so Carwings is not needed in those situations. It is nice to know what time the charge was completed i guess, but I can live without that

I have a four year lease so, theoretically, come the end of February next year I'll have to make that choice. Unless it is damn close to free, I plan to pass...

Still happening for me. Can anyone else confirm this is still happening for them?

It's getting annoying. I contacted the Leaf assistance number and they told me the service was changing so it would be sent from an e-mail. They couldn't/wouldn't answer if the system would go back to coming from one phone number.

I have never seen a text message service come through like this before (every one has always had one number).

Does anyone have a different contact at Nissan?

Thanks!

da119 said:
It's getting annoying. I contacted the Leaf assistance number and they told me the service was changing so it would be sent from an e-mail. They couldn't/wouldn't answer if the system would go back to coming from one phone number.

That's unfortunate (and what I was worried about): that means the text/SMS will NEVER show up from one "number", because those types of messages are converted into unique numbers by the mobile SMS server. I don't know why Nissan decided to stop using Common Short Codes (CSC's), but this isn't the way to make the service more attractive. At this point, I'm not even consistently getting the "charging stopped" messages (possibly do to NOT using CSC's).

I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPhone, and it's very frustrating. I have a contact in my phone called "Leaf" so that my text notifications were properly labeled and grouped, but obviously that never happens now with the new method. I've even tried adding [email protected] to the contact, but it doesn't help.

Besides the annoyance of not having my texts grouped, the real annoyance is that I can no longer associate a particular text tone with the number. It's really useful to be able recognize from across the room that a text is just the car and I ignore it if I'm busy. The real travesty with no longer having a distinct text tone, though, is the entertainment I got when others were around to hear it. See, my text tone is the sound of the car from The Jetsons. It was the absolute BEST to be sitting with friends and hear my phone go "brrrrrrrrrrrrrreeee-dee-dee-dee" and say, "Oh, that's just my car texting me."

I finally just decided to log into my leaf portal and completely turn off carwings messages.

Certainly not a very good way to get me to pay for this service after 3 years.

Sigh.

I'm going to try using email to my gmail account instead. With the gmail android app, you can associate custom ringtones with labels, so I have a filter which labels anything from [email protected] with the "Carwings" label, and my phone set up to do a custom tone on that label.

It works, but there is much more delay than the SMS. I would prefer they go back to the short code as well.

Incidentally, when I request status, and it send me a text message that I requested the status, WHY DOESN'T IT JUST PUT THE STATUS IN THE *#@! TEXT MESSAGE??

I now realize that I only receive text messages when my phone is ON; that is, "store and forward" doesn't seem to apply to this particular text when sent while my phone is OFF (like any normal text message would). I don't understand why this happens, but it happens none-the-less (I usually turn my phone ON in the morning after charging has stopped).

As if having separate entries for each CW text wasn't bad enough, now I have to leave/have my phone on if I want to see that "charging stopped" message in the morning.

Stanton said:
I now realize that I only receive text messages when my phone is ON; that is, "store and forward" doesn't seem to apply to this particular text when sent while my phone is OFF (like any normal text message would). I don't understand why this happens, but it happens none-the-less (I usually turn my phone ON in the morning after charging has stopped).

As if having separate entries for each CW text wasn't bad enough, now I have to leave/have my phone on if I want to see that "charging stopped" message in the morning.

Hmmm. Although I'm now getting the annoying unique sender for each message, I still do get them when my phone's locked. iPhone5, iOS 7.0.3, AT&T. Maybe a preference setting? (do-not-disturb?). Are other messages working normally?

Nubo said:
Hmmm. Although I'm now getting the annoying unique sender for each message, I still do get them when my phone's locked. iPhone5, iOS 7.0.3, AT&T. Maybe a preference setting? (do-not-disturb?). Are other messages working normally?

Yes, I get other texts. To be clear, the phone isn't "locked" (no do-not-disturb, etc.), it is OFF: I turn it off each night. Once they stopped using CSC's, there's no consistency.

So nobody ever posted a workaround, does that mean there is none?
The closest I could find was on my iPhone, I can group all texts from people who are not in my contacts, but that isn't a good answer because you don't get any kind of alert then. So that defeats the purpose.
I tried to set up my iMessage box so that it would group by the email address that all of the texts come from, but couldn't figure out how to do that.

It's annoying, and I'm surprised that the problem has been around so long.

I have not heard of a workaround, and the problem definitely still exists for me. Nissan, you have taken all the fun out of getting texts from my car. :(

I know, somebody earlier in the thread (sorry I don't have the time to look it up right now) had the sound of the Jetsons' car play? That would be so cool. Not to mention, the convenience of not deleting all those texts separately.

Back