Central PA EV news

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great news on the superchargers at Sheetz. I also purchased from Brenner and one of the Sheetz locations that is showing on plugshare is near the dealership. Hopefully they continue to add them at other locations.

Metalman said:
The Sheetz quick chargers just popped up on Plugshare. It says they will be operational by the end of March. :D

Description for these sites no longer have the 31 March date. Just "please check back soon for an opening date".

Just noticed those handful of PA Sheetz L3's that were "coming soon" are no longer up on PlugShare. Don't know whether that's good or bad. Hopefully we'll know soon.

The wife and I are planning a Leaf Roadtrip the second weekend in April from home (Martinsburg, WV) to the family farm/winery outside of Douglassville, PA. Current flight plan has us coming up Rt. 11 through Greencastle to Chambersburg (charge at Fitzgerald Nissan). Then continuing up Rt. 11 through Shippensburg and Carlisle to Brenner Nissan to suck down more electrons. Was planning to stop by that Carlisle Sheetz near Brenner to see if there's any sign of progress on a L3 there (that was one of the stores that popped-up on PlugShare not long ago but is now gone). From there, we'll continue on to Hershey Park and top-off to 100% while gorging ourselves on overpriced chocolate. Leaving Chocolate World, we should be good to make it east on Rt. 422 all the way to the winery.

I just checked out that Sheetz on Monday and there were no signs of any charging stations being worked on.

Walker34 said:
I just checked out that Sheetz on Monday and there were no signs of any charging stations being worked on.
Well that's not a good sign.

I want to believe -- I truly do -- that Sheetz is committed to EV infrastructure and will go through with this first round of installs (and possibly more), but the longer it goes with stations appearing on PlugShare and then vanishing into cyberspace, along with reports of nary a shovel-full of dirt being turned, the cynic in me says, "I'll believe it when I see it." :cry:

One of the Sheetz listings on PlugShare (the western-most one, sorry I can't recall what city that was) had two photos of the Quick Charger (Eaton brand) installed. So at least one of the Sheetz locations appears to actually have a QC installed...not sure why they'd be deleted from PlugShare?

NYLEAF said:
One of the Sheetz listings on PlugShare (the western-most one, sorry I can't recall what city that was) had two photos of the Quick Charger (Eaton brand) installed. So at least one of the Sheetz locations appears to actually have a QC installed...not sure why they'd be deleted from PlugShare?
NY... it was Sheetz #498 in Blairsville, PA, east of Pittsburgh on Rt. 22. I remember seeing the pics of their Eaton L3 on PlugShare... just the other day as a matter of fact. Now it, along with the other "coming soon" locations, have all disappeared on PlugShare. It certainly looked from the photos like it actually exists (although wasn't operational), but now -- like the other locations -- it's gone.

Would love to know -- definitively -- what Sheetz has planned. The PlugShare "tease" doesn't leave me with a good feeling about it LOL!

I tried to use the quick charger at blairsville yesterday. It all seemed to work but it gave me an error when the credit card was processed. I tried several cards so my guess is that the data connection is not working yet.
The fee is $1.00 for 5 minutes and you purchase the number of five minute blocks you want before you start charging. The price is definitely reasonable and should help to keep prices down as more places in PA get the fast chargers.
One note is that I pressed the info button on the touch screen and and it said that the charger was rated for 40kW. I thought that these were supposed to be 50kW so that may be a little depressing. But I will be very happy to be able to drive to Pittsburgh quickly with this charger. Right now I have to stop at the dealer in Indiana to charge at level 2.

FYI. Indiana, State College, and Chambersburg dealers all have their chargers left on and unlocked.

flarend said:
I tried to use the quick charger at blairsville yesterday. It all seemed to work but it gave me an error when the credit card was processed. I tried several cards so my guess is that the data connection is not working yet.
The fee is $1.00 for 5 minutes and you purchase the number of five minute blocks you want before you start charging. The price is definitely reasonable and should help to keep prices down as more places in PA get the fast chargers.
One note is that I pressed the info button on the touch screen and and it said that the charger was rated for 40kW. I thought that these were supposed to be 50kW so that may be a little depressing. But I will be very happy to be able to drive to Pittsburgh quickly with this charger. Right now I have to stop at the dealer in Indiana to charge at level 2.

FYI. Indiana, State College, and Chambersburg dealers all have their chargers left on and unlocked.
flarend... good stuff on that L3 at the Blairsville Sheetz. Sounds like it's close to being ready to go and that gives hope to those other Sheetz locations as well. Sheetz becoming a player in EV infrastructure would be huge as they're all over the place here in the West Virginia Panhandle, central Maryland and south-central Pennsylvania. L3's at even a fraction of their locations would be a difference-maker. Now if only I could talk 'em into putting the Sweet Leaf "Mint & Honey" Green Tea back in their stores. Best factory-bottled tea ever and they yanked it out of their stores months back in favor of some other garbage. I remind 'em every time I walk in the door LOL!

Good to hear on the charging situation at Fitzgerald Nissan in Chambersburg too. They're about 45 miles from the house and will be the first "re-fueling" stop on our "PA Road Trip" up Route 11 here in two weeks.

First quick charger in central PA now working at the Blairsville Sheetz. I charged there this evening and I posted it to plugshare myself since the other posting had disappeared. Amazingly enough, within an hour of my posting a new station, all the other Sheetz chargers went back up on plugshare.

flarend said:
First quick charger in central PA now working at the Blairsville Sheetz. I charged there this evening and I posted it to plugshare myself since the other posting had disappeared. Amazingly enough, within an hour of my posting a new station, all the other Sheetz chargers went back up on plugshare.
Exciting news! Saw your posting on PlugShare. Looks like a great setup in Blairsville. Now to get the Carlisle and Harrisburg stores up and running. Man, I hope this works-out well for everyone (Sheetz and EV drivers). As I said before, if Sheetz puts L3's at even a fraction of their Pennsylvanina, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia stores, it's gonna be a HUGE leap forward for EV charging infrastructure in the Mid-Atlantic! EV drivers need to support this at every opportunity and on your visit, let the store manager/employees know you're there because of that sparkling new electron-dispenser in the parking lot (and the Chili-Dogs of course ;) )

Visited both Sheetz locations(Harrisburg & Mechanicsburg) and saw no signs of any progress on the superchargers at either location.

Walker34 said:
Visited both Sheetz locations(Harrisburg & Mechanicsburg) and saw no signs of any progress on the superchargers at either location.
Thanks for the info. You're saving me a stop (at the Mechanicsburg Sheetz) when my wife and I travel up Route 11 from West Virginia this Friday on our "EV Roadtrip" to the family winery outside of Douglassville. Will likely stop nearby at Brenner Nissan for a few electrons and then was going to hit that Sheetz which is right down 11 from there to see if any progress was being made on their L3.

From what I can gather on PlugShare, the L3 at the Blairsville Sheetz is operational and installs at Sheetz stores in Altoona and State College are in varying stages of progress. Hopefully, Harrisburg and Mechanicsburg aren't far from seeing earth moved.

Anyone hear of any future Sheetz plans after these first five PA stores? Hope these L3's get sufficient use to persuade the Sheetz powers-that-be to keep expanding their EV charging initiative!

The Altoona and State College chargers are now operating. I talked to someone from Sheetz who had something to do with the chargers, I don't know what his title was. He didn't think there were any plans at this time for any more than the two more that are planned. I thanked him for installing them and told him I thought the pricing was probably fair and while probably not a direct money maker for them I hope they find it pays off.
He said the best way to show corporate your appreciation is to send a message through their web site.

Here is the Sheetz page for comments.
https://www.sheetz.com/contact/contact_form.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheetz is doing more now in PA for EVs than Nissan is.

The Mechanicsburg Sheetz has the quick charger installed. However when I visited it the power was turned off. The service disconnect switch was unlocked so the unit may be operational if turned on.

I've added a photo to plugshare of the unit. Its located on the opposite side of the building from the Carlisle Pike side.

Still not operational as of Monday. It looks ready to go. I'd really like to try it, as I've never used a Quick charger before.

Back