carwings price in a few years?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigc70092

Any info on what carwings will cost per month after the free 3 year trial. Since its based on the AT&T ntework here in the USA, can we assume a price of as much as $39.99 per month? Hope not because that would suck.

Any ideas on the price per month in a few years?

Well my Volt came with OnStar for 36 months like the Leaf has Carwings. My father in law bought a Cruze (they only come with 3 months of OnStar) and he was paying $27 a month for the top tier plan (navigation, phone app access, etc).. OnStar has a basic plan for less than $20 a month, but that is just for the emergency services part of it. So I think Carwings will probably be somewhere around $30 a month. Maybe not since it is not OnStar in the sense of you cannot call people to unlock your car and such. So hopefully it is cheaper. I was actually wondering this myself, but could not find any information what so ever on it.

Hopefully Carwings will improve during the next two years such that it actually is worth much more than it is now. At the moment, I would feel hard pressed to pay anything for the service.

garygid said:
Hopefully Carwings will improve during the next two years such that it actually is worth much more than it is now. At the moment, I would feel hard pressed to pay anything for the service.

+1

It better be less than $30/year for me to consider it. If I want consumption/useage numbers I'll just put a meter on my EVSE. I can use in-car timers for climate and starting charge.

In fact, $30/year is looking a bit steep for how I use it...

Personally, there's no way I would pay an OnStar type price (or even an XM type price) for CarWings. Having said that, here's what I find useful:

1) Ability to "status" the car and remote activate ac/heat
2) Ability to view/retrieve driving history

I believe the cost of the wireless service (SIM card in TCU) to be very small (say <$5/month). I also believe that Nissan currently benefits as much from the usage data as we do. For me it comes down to if (and how much) Nissan values an owner's ability to "status" the car to alleviate range issues and/or access unique functionality (like remote climate control) that fetched a premium price up front (no one would pay $35k for this car if it wasn't an EV).

So what is that number? My pain point is probably somewhere around $50/year (without additional or improved functionality/availability).

status of the car while charging is a good tool.
the others, not worth more than a couple bucks a month.

that assumes that i can still use navigation; i.e., put in address get directions in real time. that would seem to be a software program in the car--YES?

Stanton said:
1) Ability to "status" the car and remote activate ac/heat
I like "status" checking, but is not that important because mostly charging at home
Remote activate ac/heat can be done using timers so I will be Ok

Stanton said:
2) Ability to view/retrieve driving history
View/retrieve driving history is very difficult for me. Stop working after a month, called CS so many time not much help, fuse reset did not help either, only way I can get driving history is to resign/reactivate my account every other day, but ready to quit doing so. Software upgrade not possible because my dealer is 205 miles away (QC desperately needed) and service in OK is still months away. So at the current condition value of the service is $0 and in few months if fixed I will be very comfortable to live without it.

thankyouOB said:
that assumes that i can still use navigation; i.e., put in address get directions in real time. that would seem to be a software program in the car--YES?

Yes, but I do use (and like) the "plan your route" capability of CarWings, especially the ability to send that info to the car. That would have been #3 in my list, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay much for it.

I was under the impression that the Leaf status page that displays state of charge and the ability to turn on the climate control among other things was a separate feature from carwings. I base this assumption on the fact that one has to "launch carwings" from the status page. I certainly could be wrong about this assumption and I am sure we will all find out in the coming years. I would be very disappointed to find that Nissan would expect us to pay anything to access the very basic features of the Leaf status page.

That's a good point and one that I would like to know the answer to. I assumed as soon as you log into your owner's Portal, that's a premium service. If it's only after you "launch CarWings", that changes everything. Anyone know for sure?

Stanton said:
That's a good point and one that I would like to know the answer to. I assumed as soon as you log into your owner's Portal, that's a premium service. If it's only after you "launch CarWings", that changes everything. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, log into your owner's Portal, it is a premium service.
In desperation to maybe force my Carwings to work I "Plan My Route" to Dallas dealer, anyone in Purcell, OK, to give me access to 240V plug?

telematics
Nissan Navigation System with 7.0" color display XM® NavTraffic
CARWINGS™ connect to Nissan LEAF™ to monitor battery state of charge/charging status start vehicle charging event activate heating and air conditioning systems

CARWINGS™ requires compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by independent cellular companies not within Nissan's control. 2G cellular network not available in all areas. In areas with 2G network coverage, signal strength may vary and/or not be available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks may affect future CARWINGS™ functionality. Ask your cellular network carrier for details on anticipated 2G network availability in your area and how this may affect your planned usage. Should a cellular provider terminate/further restrict network service, CARWINGS service may be suspended or terminated without notice or liability to Nissan and/or its agents. Nissan not responsible for equipment replacement or upgrades, or associated costs, that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network changes. Certain remote functions require compatible smartphone, not included with vehicle. CARWINGS subscription service requires owner consent to activate. Subscription service for first 36 months included in vehicle price. Subscription available for purchase thereafter. Standard text rates and/or data usage may apply to CARWINGS communications received by email or SMS/text message.

In its present form I would pay $2 per month; mostly for the convenience of remote climate and charge control.

With a significantly more robust interface and feature set, I might go $5/month.

If the "Press OK" button disappears when your Carwings service expires, I'd pay $20 to have my 3 free years terminated tomorrow.

Nubo said:
In its present form I would pay $2 per month; mostly for the convenience of remote climate and charge control.

With a significantly more robust interface and feature set, I might go $5/month.

If the "Press OK" button disappears when your Carwings service expires, I'd pay $20 to have my 3 free years terminated tomorrow.
+1 :D

I don't think it will be in Nissan's best interest to bill the customer just to log into the owners portal let alone the most basic features of the owners portal. I for one would immediately opt out of sending my telematics data to Nissan for free as a result.

Spies said:
I don't think it will be in Nissan's best interest to bill the customer just to log into the owners portal let alone the most basic features of the owners portal. I for one would immediately opt out of sending my telematics data to Nissan for free as a result.
The question is: after 3 years, is the data from a Leaf still useful to Nissan? They'll still be receiving data from newer Leafs.

DoxyLover said:
The question is: after 3 years, is the data from a Leaf still useful to Nissan? They'll still be receiving data from newer Leafs.
The question is: Is the data useful to Nissan, you have option to decline transfer? Battery info - they will get during battery yearly test

I never launch CarWings. There is no information there, since I never hit the OK button. I've never even tried to preheat or precool. I have occasionally done the equivalent of hitting the charge timer override from the comfort of my armchair, but it would be no big deal to walk out to the car and do that. I've only used the navigation features twice in ten months: Once to find where a Nissan dealer was when I was 40 miles from home and needed a bit of a charge; once to find a restaurant when I was 85 miles from home. Can you guess how much I'd be willing to pay for CarWings?

My assumption is that any remote access to the LEAF will have to cost something after three years, because someone has to pay for a cellphone line. Or at least I suspect they would find a way to charge me for it, since by that time they will have undoubtedly realized they are not getting any useful CarWings data from my car!

Ray

walterbays said:

Well, that's definitely inside my pain point of $50/year (earlier post). Not to throw a curve, but I really think the long-term problem will be: how long with 2G data be available (we are currently deploying 4G systems)? An upgrade/swap of the TCU unit (to accommodate 3G or 4G data) could be as much as $400 based on info in that PDF.

Back