Carwings only showing 75% charge on 80% Leaf timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Have you seen evnow's chart?

He does indeed show a breakpoint at 80% while charging, but you keep the 10th bar while discharging until you get down to 78%. Personally I think his numbers are a smidge high, but they're close.

Ray
No, I haven't seen evnow's chart until you showed it to me now, but that makes a lot of sense with my guess of what's going on. Thanks for sharing!

Volusiano said:
My Carwings status has always shown 83% charged after my Leaf timer set at 80% completes its charge before. But twice now, my Leaf timer set at 80% completes its charge but Carwings is showing only 75% instead of 83%. Is this cause for concern?

I typically see 83% also. Not sure why it would show 75% unless the AC kicked in on a timer and it was unplugged?

With Old-Bars, during charging, 80% was comfortably above the value that turned on the 10th bar.

Now, with New-Bars, charging to 80% is right on the edge of triggering display of the 10th bar.

So, a bit over 80% and you see 10 bars, and a bit under and you see 9 bars. Both values are probably within half a percent of 80%, but one shows a "whole bar" more on the dashboard.

It appears the Carwings only gets the number of bars, not the "SOC" value, and it always displays 83% for 10 bars and 75% for 9 bars.

These Carwings percentages are not even close to the actual "SOC" percentage. So, don't even read them. Just see the number of bars, like on the LEAF's dashboard.

If you want finer-resolution "SOC" numbers, consider using an SOC-Meter.

Is the old-bars and new-bars you mentioned referring to before and after the last firmware update on the Leaf or something? I remember they had to do a big firmware update last time to fix the AC issue causing the car to shut down.

Yes, LEAFs made before April (or May) 2011 had "original" firmware and they displayed "Old-Bars" in the fuel gauge. With these "original" bars, there was essentially no "hidden" reserve. Only a few people still have the original firmware.

After that, the "A/C" firmware update to the VCM in the LEAF now shows "new-bars" where each bar has less "capacity", and now there is a "hidden" reserve.

My LEAF just started only showing 75% charge when set to 80%. I have been in the 80% club since about a week after getting my LEAF last June and up until last week the car has always shown 83% and had 10 bars on the dash when charged. Last week I was out of town for a few days and didn't drive the LEAF. When I got in it was at 75% at 9 bars and said it would take 10 minutes to charge to 80%. I ran some errands and dropped down to ~4-5 bars by the time I got home and plugged in. When I got up in the morning the car was only showing 9 bars but had "--" on the dash for time to charge to 80%. Is this just a rounding error or should I be concerned?

I've been in the 75% (9-bar charge completion) club regularly almost every day now. I first got "inducted" to the 75% club for as far back as 6-9 months ago, but only made an occasional visit or two to the club every month or so. In the last few weeks or so, I've been a daily visitor of the 75% club.

Also, a few days ago, I've also officially joined the (still rather exclusive) "11-bar capacity" club with about 4 other Phoenix owners. :(

Volusiano said:
I've been in the 75% (9-bar charge completion) club regularly almost every day now. I first got "inducted" to the 75% club for as far back as 6-9 months ago, but only made an occasional visit or two to the club every month or so. In the last few weeks or so, I've been a daily visitor of the 75% club.

Also, a few days ago, I've also officially joined the (still rather exclusive) "11-bar capacity" club with about 4 other Phoenix owners. :(

Hopefully I don't end up in the same club but I guess it is inevitable. Dallas isn't quite AZ heat but still pretty hot. I do keep my LEAF in an air conditioned garage but I guess that doesn't help :(

garygid said:
With Old-Bars, during charging, 80% was comfortably above the value that turned on the 10th bar.

Now, with New-Bars, charging to 80% is right on the edge of triggering display of the 10th bar.

So, a bit over 80% and you see 10 bars, and a bit under and you see 9 bars. Both values are probably within half a percent of 80%, but one shows a "whole bar" more on the dashboard.

It appears the Carwings only gets the number of bars, not the "SOC" value, and it always displays 83% for 10 bars and 75% for 9 bars.

These Carwings percentages are not even close to the actual "SOC" percentage. So, don't even read them. Just see the number of bars, like on the LEAF's dashboard.

If you want finer-resolution "SOC" numbers, consider using an SOC-Meter.

+1

tzzhc4 said:
My LEAF just started only showing 75% charge when set to 80%. I have been in the 80% club since about a week after getting my LEAF last June and up until last week the car has always shown 83% and had 10 bars on the dash when charged. Last week I was out of town for a few days and didn't drive the LEAF. When I got in it was at 75% at 9 bars and said it would take 10 minutes to charge to 80%. I ran some errands and dropped down to ~4-5 bars by the time I got home and plugged in. When I got up in the morning the car was only showing 9 bars but had "--" on the dash for time to charge to 80%. Is this just a rounding error or should I be concerned?
Daytime temperatures have recently been reaching 100F with nights dropping into the low 70's. Except for Monday when we intentionally charged to 100% for a longer drive, our standard overnight L2 charge to 80% has this week been yielding only 9 bars on the car's display and 75% on Carwings. Further, that 9th bar disappears after only 2-3 miles, two of which are downhill from our house, the remaining mile being fairly level.

The battery capacity still shows 12 bars, but without one of Gary's or Phil's magic boxes, I cannot offer any detailed insight on GIDs or SOC. Checking the car this morning and finding 9 bars & 75%, I unplugged the EVSE (Phil's R2 upgrade), waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in. It ran for 3 minutes, ramping quickly up to 2300W, and just a quickly back to zero, all still at 9 bars. (Battery temp has been steady at 6 bars for months now, excepting only one day when it climbed to 7 bars during 110F weather.) I'm guessing that this is just one of the symptoms of reduced total battery capacity, but I am also curious to see if we'll get back to 80% & 10 battery bars when cooler weather returns. Not looking for any solutions at this point, but my antennas are out. . .

Back