Carwings/LEAF range disparity.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcountryrider

I found an old thread on this, from May, but nothing recent.

I noticed that there is a large disparity between the range shown on the website
and what the car shows. I recently left the LEAF home for a couple of days for an
out-of-town trip and then charged to 80% (from about 2 bars) the evening I got back.

I checked the charge in the morning and found the usual 83%, then remotely started
the charge to get up to 100%. At that point I didn't pay attention to the range numbers
on the website.

When I checked the charge later, it had completed, showed 100%. Never having done 100%
I looked down to see the range. It showed 52 miles! I clicked UPDATE and waited (patiently...)
until the update completed and showed the current time. Still 52 miles. I was worried that I had
had a dramatic drop in capacity, but when I sat in the car and turned it on, it showed 92 miles
(whew!) and then 101 when I shifted to ECO. I got back home showing 50 some odd miles after
my usual trip to the barn (~40 miles RT), so the range seems to be my normal, although I'm
not used to charging to 100%.

So, after reading the older thread: This is not an UPDATE issue, I read the time "vehicle status updated
mmddyyyy at hhMM xM" to make sure the update completed (it often hangs). It appears that one
has to turn on the car in order to get the "correct" ;) range numbers.

Does this match your experience? Not that this is a big deal, but, really, how hard can it be to
correctly transmit 2 integers to the server and display them?

While I agree that CarWings is crazy, I don't think it was to blame for this one. As we all know, the guessometer is also crazy, and asking it to predict mileage after two charges without being driven in between, or in fact even being turned on in between or after, is quite likely to provide zany results. My guess is that CarWings did ask the car for the range estimate, and the car did say 52 miles, and that it was only after turning the car on that its computer recalculated and came up with the higher number.

So why are you paying any attention to that useless number anyway?

Ray

planet4ever said:
So why are you paying any attention to that useless number anyway?

Ray

Good point. :lol: Glad to hear it's not just me though. :) And that my
pack hadn't suddenly lost half it's capacity. :eek:

The guess-o-meter is useful to me, not because I believe that I will
actually get 101 miles, but because I know if it says 82 miles I can get
out to the barn and back with 20 miles to spare. I have no range anxiety
for the routine trips I make and hardly look at it after I leave home.

I like the energy consumption screen in the LEAF though. The tech in
me wants to know!

highcountryrider said:
The guess-o-meter is useful to me, not because I believe that I will
actually get 101 miles, but because I know if it says 82 miles I can get
out to the barn and back with 20 miles to spare.

And how exactly do you know that?

How far are you driving "with 20 miles to spare"?

I charge to 80% normally, and make a round trip to
the boarding barn where my horse lives. It's about
40 mies RT. I have at least 20 miles left when I get
home. Just always happens that way.

highcountryrider said:
I charge to 80% normally, and make a round trip to
the boarding barn where my horse lives. It's about
40 mies RT. I have at least 20 miles left when I get
home. Just always happens that way.

And what I was getting to. We know the displayed and CarWings numbers are rubbish. What leads you to believe that you have 20 miles remaining?

well, i havent looked at Carwings in a few weeks. i usually only do it if i feel like a laugh. but lets see.....

ok, ya, MTD figures 7.3 miles/Kw . my figures say 4.01 from the wall, 4.82 from the car. i trust my figures but am relying on the Leaf for miles/Kw figures which is reset daily and the odometer (i have several cars including google maps that agree with less than a 1% variance between them)

so the performance on Carwings is extremely inflated. the mileage on Carwings is deflated. (it always reports less mileage)

to say there is a calculation issue is a bit of an understatement. its easy to see why it was offered for free. otherwise it would be a customer service nightmare

DaveinOlyWA said:
well, i havent looked at Carwings in a few weeks. i usually only do it if i feel like a laugh. but lets see.....

ok, ya, MTD figures 7.3 miles/Kw . my figures say 4.01 from the wall, 4.82 from the car. i trust my figures but am relying on the Leaf for miles/Kw figures which is reset daily and the odometer (i have several cars including google maps that agree with less than a 1% variance between them)

so the performance on Carwings is extremely inflated. the mileage on Carwings is deflated. (it always reports less mileage)

to say there is a calculation issue is a bit of an understatement. its easy to see why it was offered for free. otherwise it would be a customer service nightmare

Get the NTB11-041 update, as the OP probably already has, and you may like Carwings...

Looks to me like it now gives accurate m/kWh, correct available battery capacity, and should give L1 and L2 charging efficiency (as compared with your "wall" meters).

My car has a odometer/CW "miles driven" discrepency of 2.5%, but no one else has posted whether this problem is common to all LEAFS, or unique to my car.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is going to take a LOT more than that to make me like Carwings!!! Other than the charge notifications and Android App, I don't use it.

edatoakrun said:
Get the NTB11-041 update, as the OP probably already has, and you may like Carwings...

I have yet to get an email from carwings. I've read all the post and don't think I missed
anything, but it just doesn't work. Not a big deal for me, so I haven't pursued it.

I had to get the firmware update for carwings to get messages from the portal. Also seems to be very acurate. My average m/kwh was around 7 prior to update. Now around 5, which seems right.

highcountryrider said:
I have yet to get an email from carwings. I've read all the post and don't think I missed
anything, but it just doesn't work. Not a big deal for me, so I haven't pursued it.

Back