Carwings info not refreshing?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmf

Must need a primer on the carwings website since every time I go to look at my car status, I have to refresh the information. Why do I have to request to refresh it? It seems that if I log on and go to it directly it should automatically refresh and give me the latest info on the car status. Is there a way to do this? Are people running any additional scripts or build out additional functionality to stay up-to-date on their car?

The No-Automatic-Refresh "Feature" is provided to show/remind you of the last-fetched status infirmation, until YOU request new status info. by ckicking the "Refresh" button (takes about 19-20 seconds to respond).

For now, that IS the way it works.

They could make this a lot better by auto-refreshing ALL THE TIME -- every 15 minutes or so. Or just leave the data connection up and idle, like your smartphone.

This whole refresh-on-demand thing is just to cut down on Carwings data use, probably AT&T costs.

The web page "Refresh" sends the refresh poll to the car, but rarely updates the web site when it completes. Mine just sits and spins in "Updating" until I reload the web page manually.

The iPhone/iPod app is much better in this regard -- it seems to actually get the update.

With the Opera Browser on the Wii and IE7 on Vista and XP, I see the updated status about 19 seconds after clicking the "Refresh" button in the "title/date/time" bar just above the bar chart area.

GroundLoop said:
They could make this a lot better by auto-refreshing ALL THE TIME -- every 15 minutes or so. Or just leave the data connection up and idle, like your smartphone.

This whole refresh-on-demand thing is just to cut down on Carwings data use, probably AT&T costs.

The web page "Refresh" sends the refresh poll to the car, but rarely updates the web site when it completes. Mine just sits and spins in "Updating" until I reload the web page manually.

The iPhone/iPod app is much better in this regard -- it seems to actually get the update.
Has anyone tried to implement a little curl script that logs into the web site and clicks the "refresh" button every few minutes? I'd keep the refresh rate low enough to avoid causing problems but with a script like that running you could have it refresh every 30-60 minutes and always have data at least that fresh when you log in to check.

It would probably also make sense to have the script analyze the results of the query to see if the car is fully charged. If so, it could reduce the update frequency since the state isn't going to change until the car is driven.

divegeek said:
GroundLoop said:

Has anyone tried to implement a little curl script that logs into the web site and clicks the "refresh" button every few minutes? I'd keep the refresh rate low enough to avoid causing problems but with a script like that running you could have it refresh every 30-60 minutes and always have data at least that fresh when you log in to check.

It would probably also make sense to have the script analyze the results of the query to see if the car is fully charged. If so, it could reduce the update frequency since the state isn't going to change until the car is driven.
Clever idea and technically not too difficult to implement, though I don't know if anybody has bothered yet.

It amazes me, really that's not too strong a word, how slow the Carwings site is to update. Think when texting how quickly you can go back and forth with a person. Now think how long Carwings takes to send only a marginal bit more data back to the client from the car. And I cannot imagine that the data carwings sends back on an update is (or should be) more than a picture txt message. I wonder if it's using 1X cellular speeds; maybe so to keep prices down with AT&T?

FYI when using the browser on my PC I'd say it sends the request back to me at least half the time. Other times I do need to reload the page.

I just setup my Carwings account yesterday.
I am able to see the state of charge on the web site and on the app on my phone.

However when I click "Carwings" on the web site, it shows me a page with no data in it whatsoever.

How many days should I wait until it starts filling in data ?

I have made one trip so far after the initial setup.

How do you guys trigger the manual carwings update ?
I don't see a refresh button in Carwings.

I see a refresh in the owner's portal.
It appears to update the state of charge, at least sometimes, maybe every couple hours or so, not very useful.
Sometimes the refresh actually fails too, could be due to the low cell signal on the hill.

For carwings data however, it has never updated yet.

madbrain said:

Two days.
Right ... no auto-update. You may even have to log all the way out and back in, or at least close the CarWings window and re-launch it to see new data. Since the delay is two days, auto-updates don't make sense anyways ...

LEAFer said:
madbrain said:

Two days.
Right ... no auto-update. You may even have to log all the way out and back in, or at least close the CarWings window and re-launch it to see new data. Since the delay is two days, auto-updates don't make sense anyways ...
It may never update if you have made certain settings on the console.

Here is a summary of NTB11-101, which is a bulletin Nissan put out dealing with Carwings not updating:
NTB11-101 said:
LEAF; CARWINGS DRIVING HISTORY DOES NOT UPDATE

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2011-2012 LEAF (ZE0)

SERVICE INFORMATION

The CARWINGS driving history will not update/match the actual driving history if the following conditions are not met:

- Service Reminders setting is ON.

- Share Vehicle Information setting is ON.

- OK is selected on the Navigation disclaimer screen at the beginning of each trip.
My condensed version of the bulletin has just the paths to these settings:

ZeroEmission->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Service Reminders must be ON (not greyed).

ZeroEmission->CARWINGS->CARWINGS Settings->Vehicle Information Sharing with Nissan->Share Vehicle Information must be ON (not greyed).

For many months I had Service Reminders turned off and Carwings never updated status. This was true even though I always clicked "OK".

LEAFer said:
madbrain said:

Two days.

It finally updated. Looks like it took less than 2 days. I setup the account around 5pm yesterday. Today at 5pm carwings showed the first 13 mile trip I made on my way back home.
Too bad none of the trips prior to the setup of the account are showing up, I would have liked to see what happened on my first day on sunday when I nearly ran out of battery.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
It amazes me, really that's not too strong a word, how slow the Carwings site is to update. Think when texting how quickly you can go back and forth with a person. Now think how long Carwings takes to send only a marginal bit more data back to the client from the car. And I cannot imagine that the data carwings sends back on an update is (or should be) more than a picture txt message. I wonder if it's using 1X cellular speeds; maybe so to keep prices down with AT&T?

It runs on Edge if I remember correctly. Ever sent a picture message on Edge? Not very quick.

ztanos said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

It runs on Edge if I remember correctly. Ever sent a picture message on Edge? Not very quick.

I wonder what's going to happen when AT&T shuts down their Edge network, then.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/att-plans-to-shut-down-entire-2g-network-by-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose I shouldn't worry since I'm leasing and won't be driving the same model then.

madbrain said:
ztanos said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

I wonder what's going to happen when AT&T shuts down their Edge network, then.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/att-plans-to-shut-down-entire-2g-network-by-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose I shouldn't worry since I'm leasing and won't be driving the same model then.

I was wondering the same thing. They will probably install newer chips to go up to 3g and the older models will just not get Carwings anymore.

Back