Car parked at the airport, carwings shows battery dropping

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSXTASY

Wife has been driving the LEAF for the past month or so.. today she takes the LEAF to the airport where she parks it (could NOT find the EV plug !?) so it's there sitting w/o charging. Earlier it had about 46 miles left. I dont know why I did this but I checked the android app and noticed 17 miles left. I found this weird and re-checked 30 minutes later, 16... did she forget to turn it off ? Is there a way to remotely turn it off ? will it shut down before it drains the battery completely ?

I dont want to call her and prevent her from being able to sleep, long day for her tomorrow, I cant drive to the airport b/c I'm at home with my two young children. Only option I have is to go check tomorrow while they are at school/day care but I'm afraid it might be completely dead by then... please help !

This is highly unusual. How cold is it at the airport you would think. Anywhere near 0F? The battery warmer could come online when it gets very cold. Also, it's puzzling that CarWings would work. It should turn off after two weeks.

surfingslovak said:
This is highly unusual. How cold is it at the airport you would think. Anywhere near 0F? The battery warmer could come online when it gets very cold. Also, it's puzzling that CarWings would work. It should turn off after two weeks.

thanks for your reply. The ambient temperature is in the 40sF. So sorry if I confused you but she just parked the car to the airport today.

Put the kids in the car and go check it out. If not call a friend. Make sure you give them a key. Good luck! Let us know what happened.

troubleshootmnl
NSXTASY said:
surfingslovak said:

thanks for your reply. The ambient temperature is in the 40sF. So sorry if I confused you but she just parked the car to the airport today.
One possible explanation is that they forgot to turn the car off. The range should not be dropping this fast. Good on you to catch it. Please have someone check in on your LEAF soon.

I cannot go to the airport b4 tomorrow... I just checked again, it seems to have stabilized at 16 miles. Hopefully this is still true tomorrow morning after I drop the kids at school/daycare... I'll keep you posted

NSXTASY said:
did she forget to turn it off ?
I think this is what happened. I also think she must have the heat on. It's pretty easy to do in the LEAF.

Please note that if the LEAF is in READY mode, someone can drive away in it. Hopefully she locked the door!
NSXTASY said:
Is there a way to remotely turn it off ?
Not that I know of.
NSXTASY said:
will it shut down before it drains the battery completely ?
I certainly hope so!

Good luck! Please let us know what you find out!

Me too: I would check on it ASAP.
I use CarWings to check my car when left at the airport and have NEVER dropped more than a couple of miles--even when I lose a bar due to extreme cold or being "on the line" between bars.

davewill said:
Well, did you check on it? what happened?!?!?

Sorry for late response... the next morning, the car appeared to be as I would have expected it to be. It was off and had stabilized around 15-16 miles left to go. I do think she left it turned on but probably after left with about two bars or so it turned itself off but maybe it was a timer thing too (or a combination of)...

NSXTASY said:
Sorry for late response... the next morning, the car appeared to be as I would have expected it to be. It was off and had stabilized around 15-16 miles left to go. I do think she left it turned on but probably after left with about two bars or so it turned itself off but maybe it was a timer thing too (or a combination of)...
The only thing I can think was that the climate control timer was triggered, or it was turned on remotely. Either way, it would run for a bit, then shut off. If the car was left on, it would have stayed on until the battery was gone.

Back