Can I use an extension cord on a 30 amp circuit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyB

I want to mount my EVSE a few feet away from the plug and use an 8 foot L6-30R extension cord rated to 30 Amps. Is that a bad idea? I'm only planning on using a 20 Amp EVSE right now, but I could get a bigger one in the future.

This is the cheapest one on Amazon-

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P041-008-Extension-L6-30P/dp/B005KKCJRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369028175&sr=8-1&keywords=l6-30+extension+cord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that a decent cable?

I searched the archives and didn't see anything about it. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

If it's only going to be a few feet away why the need for an 8 foot extension cord? The shorter the better. Either way this shouldn't cause a problem. Another idea is using a cable like that but replacing the pig tail that comes with the EVSE then you don't have the extra female/male plug.

I say good to go. I have used 100' of cord for extended periods. Just do not create a trip hazard on a regular basis.
My Leviton 160 uses a permanent 27' cord.

smkettner said:
I say good to go. I have used 100' of cord for extended periods. Just do not create a trip hazard on a regular basis.
My Leviton 160 uses a permanent 27' cord.

I think you need to add the caveat that should the OP upgrade to a higher power/current EVSE in the future (as he alluded to), he may need to revisit the extension cord idea (depending on length): these things can get hot (especially when coiled) during extended use.

Back