Can I install a Chargepoint-enabled EVSE at home?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctom987

I'm wondering if it's possible to do something at a consumer level. I don't necessarily want to charge people to use it, though that would be a nice benefit.

I'm mostly interested in the automatic metrics Chargepoint provides. It also makes it very easy to make CP a single source for power consumed, charging rates, etc..

I realize JuiceBox, OpenEVSE, et al. can be configured/customized to provide the same level of metrics, but I'm more interested in consolidation, as I primarily charge at work through a CP EVSE.

CarWings will give you power consumed, under "Driving History", then "Electric Rate Simulation).

Nubo said:
CarWings will give you power consumed, under "Driving History", then "Electric Rate Simulation).
CP isn't simulated.
CarWings also doesn't report how fast it charges, how long it's been connected, and many other charging related metrics.

Yes but it won't be cheap. I acquired a CT-500 and looked at getting network support for it (for stats). The cost was not worth it. I don't remember off hand the costs and I can't find them in quick search (might have been verbal only). A big part of the problem is that the early CP hardware used a cellular network to pass the data up. Something like JuiceBox uses your home network so their (EMW in this case) only needs to provide a site to host it.

arnold

Did some poking around, and it looks like it would be about $2500 starting. Probably not worth it. For <$100, I can add wifi to JuiceBox or OpenEVSE, and record my own metrics.

smkettner said:
Sure but it will cost a bundle. It will end up costing more to track your energy usage than the energy even costs.
True, up to a point. Eventually, my energy costs will outweigh the tracking costs. It's just 10 years later…

arnolddeleon said:
A big part of the problem is that the early CP hardware used a cellular network to pass the data up.
It seems like even the new ones do that… I found a couple that need line-of-sight, but ultimately still depend on at least 1 unit with cellular. What? They should at least use 802.11 or wired ethernet…. I suppose cellular makes sense in business cases though, as there is nothing to setup, just plug it in.

Back