Campgrounds charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IraqiInvaderGnr

I have a home evse that uses a Nema 6-50 plug-in. My question is that from what I've been reading Campgrounds don't use Nema 6-50 so I was wondering what others have done? Is it possible to buy adapters that would take the plug-in end of my evse and convert it to more RV friendly plug-in ends? What would the best thing be for me to do? I'm planning a ~350 mile trip with my Leaf and I'm going to have to charge at 2 separate campgrounds and both have stated they offer 50 amp service. Thanks!

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
I have a home evse that uses a Nema 6-50 plug-in. My question is that from what I've been reading Campgrounds don't use Nema 6-50 so I was wondering what others have done? Is it possible to buy adapters that would take the plug-in end of my evse and convert it to more RV friendly plug-in ends? What would the best thing be for me to do? I'm planning a ~350 mile trip with my Leaf and I'm going to have to charge at 2 separate campgrounds and both have stated they offer 50 amp service. Thanks!
You should be able to buy an adapter with NEMA 6-50R on one end and NEMA 14-50P on the other end to allow you to connect in the campground.

74 bucks!

Here's one for 30 bucks less: http://www.toolfetch.com/hobart-770674-adapter-cord-full-kva-nema-14-50p-to-nema-6-50r.html?cvsfa=2865&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373730363734&gclid=CLrMxOPclbsCFag7OgodJBYAmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770674-Adapter-Cord/dp/B003J8NMF0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1386131344&sr=8-9&keywords=nema+14-50#productDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those prices I think I'd buy my own ends and make my own cable!

smkettner said:

What are the most common connections at campgrounds? I got a aeroverment evse with a male nema 6-50 end so how would I convert a 3 wire plug to a 4 wire plug. I plan on buying or making some adapters myself.

smkettner said:
All 50a RV is NEMA 14-50

... and/or TT-30 (120 volt, 30 amp)

NEMA 14-50 is 240 volt, 50 amp, but because of the fourth "neutral" wire, can also be two 120 volt leads at 50 amps. You can completely leave out the fourth "neutral" pin on adaptors for 240 volt EV charging.

Back