California's EV car rebate program gets 15 million more 2day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyAmes

This should help those on the fence in California deciding to buy the Leaf especially with the recent price increase.
Danny

State's popular EV-rebate program gets new funds

David R. Baker, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, July 21, 2011
(07-21) 14:42 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- California's electric-car rebate program, so popular that it ran out of cash last month, is back in business.
The California Air Resources Board on Thursday approved spending $15 million to $21 million to fund the program, which gives rebates to buyers of electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids.
"This money is going to put thousands of ultra-clean vehicles on our roads within the year," said Mary Nichols, the board's chairwoman, in a statement. "That means better air quality sooner, and real progress in making a dent in our dependence on petroleum."
The money comes from vehicle registration fees and smog abatement fees, so the program's exact budget will depend on the amount of revenue collected.
Even though electric cars are just now reaching the mass market, the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project has already attracted more applicants than planned.
The state hands out the rebates on a first-come, first-served basis. During the last fiscal year, the air resources board and the California Energy Commission devoted $7 million to the program. So many car buyers applied that the money ran out on June 20.
So for the fiscal year that began this month, the air board decided to expand funding and shrink the individual rebates, in a bid to stretch the money farther.
In the past, buyers of electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf or the Tesla Roadster could receive a $5,000 rebate. Now the maximum rebate will be $2,500. People who buy plug-in hybrid cars or electric motorcycles will receive smaller amounts.
Since funding dried up last month, applicants have been placed on a waiting list, which now has roughly 500 names. Those people will be first in line for the next round of rebates, which the air board expects to issue this fall.
Even though the program has far more money for the new fiscal year, the possibility remains that the funding won't last until next July. People buying electric cars are therefore encouraged to apply immediately.
"If it runs out in the first six months, it runs out - that's it," said board spokeswoman Mary Fricke.
The board on Thursday also approved spending $11 million to $16 million to continue funding a program that gives California businesses vouchers to help buy fuel-efficient or zero-emission trucks and busses.
To apply for a rebate, go to sfg.ly/qMylUn.
E-mail David R. Baker at [email protected].
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/21/BUVT1KDHGT.DTL

Good for California and Californians. Why I moved to this stupid state of Arizona is beyond me. Our politicians from Brewer on down are a bunch of lying, cheating, crass, stupid bastards* who are doing their best to make sure the rich get richer and to hell with the rest of us - and I'm a legal citizen, to boot.

I doubt you'll ever see a public charging station in this state, let alone a state rebate on EVs. You'll see a lot of gun shops, though. :twisted:

*Brewer: Governor who thinks helping transplant patients is too expensive and can't speak a cohesive sentence among many other things.(Puppet)
Horne: AG, another jerk similar to Brewer.
McCain: War hero turned idiot.
AZ Legislators: More interested in making guns available than saving lives or providing education to Arizona's children.
Pearce: Author of SB1070 and defacto governor (Puppeteer)

I used to think California was an advanced state. I was just in Seattle to look into my dad getting a Leaf there and the dealer says that the state incentive was no sales tax! That amounts to about $3500! Although not as good as the depleted $5000, it is FAR better that the current California Rebate process where you fill out a form and wait for a $2500 check. Washington is far advanced from CA. No paperwork for the state, dealer or the buyer and the incentive is higher!

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. I omitted that I am in San Diego and have PV and a Leaf. I was just in Seattle to see what they have regarding incentives. I don't know what they have regarding solar or charging stations. I did see two chargepoints at the top of Stevens Pass and a few around town however. I used to live there.

In Texas, the City of Austin will

1) give a rebate of up to $18,000 for a PV system
2) cover 50% of the EVSE costs
3) provide an EV card for just $25, good for 6 months of unlimited charging

These in addition to the Federal incentives are a big part of what got me to be an early adopter. And yes, the blue Leaf looks like a space ship in the middle of all the Texas pickup trucks and Expeditions :mrgreen:

Back