California Family Sues BMW After Teen Dies in Locked Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

According to the lawsuit filed this week in Madera County Superior Court, which seeks unspecified damages, Graciela Martinez was driven to school, on Sept. 11, 2013, in the family’s 1997 BMW 328i four-door sedan by her older brother, Oscar.

After arriving at the Madera High School in Madera, about 20 miles northwest of Fresno, and parking in the rear of the parking lot at about 6:40 a.m., Oscar and his twin sister, Patricia, exited the car, leaving Graciela inside so she could get some extra sleep before her first class at 7:40 a.m., it said.

To ensure his younger sister was not disturbed, Oscar Martinez locked the car from the outside, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges that the design of the “double-locking mechanism” was faulty and presented a “substantial danger” to passengers because it did not allow them to unlock the vehicle from inside. Furthermore, it said, the car’s horn could not be operated without the key being inserted in the ignition and that the vehicle was not equipped with an emergency release lever.
Hard to believe that someone thought it would be good to design a car so that a person could be locked inside it with no way to get out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/no-escape-california-family-sues-bmw-after-teen-dies-locked-n100881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article states it was for theft prevention.

BMW could be in trouble on this one IF there were signs the kid tried to get out of the car.
If she simply never woke up, I see the fault lying with the brother that left her sleeping in the car.

A very sad situation and I am glad BMW changed the way the doors locked in 99.

Keep one of these in every car and make sure the kids know how to use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Cutter-Breaker-Escape-Tool/dp/B004TRKBOK

41cIR0igtZL.jpg

It's a damn shame that we 'advanced humans' are having so much trouble balancing 'geekiness' and 'tech' with basic safety. By the way, how much atrazine do you like on your lettuce? :(

Back