California Central Coast LEAFers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sloheidi said:
Sounds great! I think the bay area to Atascadero leg will be trickier,actually :)
I wonder if it's easier to come down 1 from Monterey to Cambria? Certainly more scenic. Would need a hand off point though

Would also have to have Hwy 1 open... :) and test drives of that twisty road to see how it affects energy usage

sloheidi said:
Would also have to have Hwy 1 open... :) and test drives of that twisty road to see how it affects energy usage
LOL, so are you thinking that coming down 101 would be better?? Should we start identifying hand-off points? I'm thinking we need 6-8 drivers to do SF-LA, but it could be more.

Either 1 or 101, we need to start mapping charging locations. I am in the Santa Barbara area so for me it would have to be either Goleta to Santa Maria or Goleta to Ventura or Thousank Oaks. The fall time frame would give some time for getting a better feeling about the drive north. I think SLOHEIDI is correct that there is some dead space between Atascadero and norht.

Should I start a new thread on this topic in the Regional Discussions Section?
Here's my straw man proposal for way points/hand offs:
SF Civic Center
Mountain View
Gilroy
Soledad
Paso Robles
San Luis Obispo
Santa Maria
Goleta/Santa Barbara
Thousand Oaks
LAX Airport
Aliso Viejo
Oceanside
Coronado Hotel (San Diego)

saw the same lack of J1772 chargers when I looked at the "EVCharger Finder" app/map--good chargers in SLO, Atascadero, Santa Maria, but the Paso and King City locations are at RV parks--and may require adapters or 110 charging

The EVCM / EVCN (EvchargerMaps and EvchargerNews) -- which the EVChargerFinder is based on -- unfortunately lacks a J1772 field type in its database. So it's a bit of a pain, but the info can be gleaned from reading the detailed comments.

Nice!! So with some further research, it seems we may be able to pull it off. I've had my LEAF for 2 weeks so far and have been so busy that I haven't had time to order Ingineer's Nissan L1 EVSE modification. However, I'll do it within the next couple of weeks and then get some adapters. Sounds like this might be the way to go for part of the relay/rally.

gascant said:
Hey Central Coasters--would you be interested in participating in a Relay/Rally ? At our last SF Bay Area gathering, we discussed the possibility of driving a baton and a passenger (or two) from SF to LA in LEAFs. We get volunteers to drive 60 mile segments and do a hand off to the next LEAF. If there's enough interest, we could also consider doing Sacramento to San Diego. Quite a logistics challenge, but doable I think.

Put me down for the Santa Maria to Goleta run. I suppose I should drive that leg first to see if my LEAF can
make it. Hate to go turtle and get some bad publicity. :oops:

And I just realized something ... although Salinas has that Rabobank J1772 (and lots of eateries nearby, etc) ... specifically using friendly LEAF-certified Nissan Dealers in the relay might be something to consider as an objective. The goodwill created ... you get the point.

planet4ever said:
Now there's an idea! Maybe we could use an Ingineer EVSE as a baton! Take it down 1/101 and back up on 5/99.

Ray
Logistics problem with the baton (nice idea): the just arrived LEAF needs it to charge (unless the plan is to stop at existing EVSE points, but that won't work at the RV parks). In the meantime the new baton holder should get going -- without the baton :(

Lets go all the way.. Blaine, WA to San Ysidro, CA .. 3 days, Labor Day weekend, 40 Dealers.

The baton is a flag for the lead Leaf.. Additional Leafs are allowed to caravan a "branch", as the more Leafs involved the better. At the end of a branch, the baton, video camera and log book that has the drivers of all the leafs, their miles, mi/kWh and number of trees grown are passed to the next branch of Leafs. There are some holes in the route that need to be filled, but not many, I feel like we are a smart enough to fill them in.

The Labor Day Weekend LEAF Drive

Day 1 - 600 miles, 16 Branches, 14 Dealers
- Blaine, WA to Medford, OR
- This day does have 1 hole - Eugene to Medford is 167 miles
- Either we'll need members from So Oregon that live in between these two cities to coordinate
- OR ICE this section

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Blaine,+WA&daddr=King+Nissan,+Iowa+Street,+Bellingham,+WA+to:KarMART+Mitsubishi,+Bouslog+Road,+Burlington,+WA,+North+America+to:campbell+nissan,+edmonds,+wa+to:stadium+nissan,+seattle,+wa+to:713+35th+Street+Northeast,+Auburn,+WA+98002-2354+%28Nissan+of+Auburn%29+to:2220+Carriage+Drive+Southwest,+Olympia,+WA+98502-5707+%28Olympia+Nissan%29+to:columbia+nissan,+longview,+wa+to:3608+Northeast+Auto+Mall+Drive+Vancouver,+WA+98662+to:rustom+nissan,+Portland,+OR+to:Beaverton+Nissan,+Southwest+Cedar+Hills+Boulevard,+Beaverton,+OR+to:Salem+Nissan,+Market+Street+Northeast,+Salem,+OR+to:Withnell+Nissan,+Albany,+OR+to:Lithia+Nissan+of+Eugene,+Martin+Luther+King+Junior+Boulevard,+Eugene,+OR+to:Lithia+Nissan+of+Medford,+Medford,+OR&hl=en&geocode=FbuV6wIdEQev-CnnhLmfNcGFVDHM2HcvUX_cbQ%3BFcT25wIdNX-z-CGKpaRR-KnjEykP7LKcjqOFVDHclX0zMWjbxg%3BFUhX4wIdIym1-CFdu3QVfJBspynBpjB40m2FVDHN0IOMu3Y0CA%3BFYQI2QIdbCy1-CF2w1MZ3803nw%3BFbw11gIdX3O1-CHOKJ_5xcypSCmVLKdsmGqQVDHGt3dQPnX9HQ%3BFQ9V0gIdtQ63-CE4nhxKe4UXxCmLZ__q41iQVDHrE09OrM9tig%3BFXqjzQId-zys-CGTExFk5VT_QykTVRG7snWRVDGJnJtIAv79yg%3BFTzSvwIdP0Os-CFtxsk8ThXbxSlfAEbSgWyUVDF_Fb9W-MNq9g%3BFTWJuAIdHkyx-CmNkB4om6-VVDHn0JUYEjdGiQ%3BFXDCtgIdbDqy-CFQ3mMO00fhnCn7ZuLpf6GVVDGVFWjzkZLRNw%3BFWgmtgIdtAqu-CGrLA8Z_GEJQSl1YMODmA6VVDEvD7smoVPa6w%3BFRzhrQIdnSyr-CEYmnu2XjoiUCm9QHqg5f6_VDERUXywHFIWnQ%3BFf0aqQId7ACq-CHVQBmm8Y_-WCnVgAL_x2zAVDHuCcJtMPovcg%3BFbpIoAIdpuup-CEQHK2RcGZgvCmVvRElGx7BVDG1mGvM21rrvA%3BFb7uhQIdSw6t-CGdYNffmc6FQimTIx2XMXrPVDEInYS6QZ-wgA&mra=ls&sll=47.870302,-122.361603&sspn=0.61169,0.955811&ie=UTF8&z=6

Day 2 - 625 miles, 15 Branches, 11 Dealers
- Medford, OR to King City, CA
- This day does have 1 hole - Medford to Redding, CA is 150 miles
- Either we'll need members that live in between these two cities to coordinate
- OR ICE this section
- Yuba City, CA is an RV Park with a 14-50 plug, someone with EVSE Upgrade and adapter will need to do this section
- King City, CA is an RV Park with a 14-50 plug, someone with EVSE Upgrade and adapter will need to end day 2 here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lithia+Nissan+of+Medford,+Medford,+OR&daddr=Crown+Motors+Ford+Dodge+Honda,+Redding,+CA+to:575+Manzanita+Avenue,+Chico,+CA+95926-1322+%28Chico+Nissan+Hyundai%29+to:Yuba+City,+CA+to:Future+Nissan+of+Roseville,+600+Automall+Drive,+Roseville,+CA+95661+to:Hanlees+Davis+Nissan,+5009+Chiles+Road,+Davis,+CA+95618+to:Vallejo+Nissan,+Sonoma+Boulevard,+Vallejo,+CA+to:North+Bay+Nissan,+Auto+Center+Drive,+Petaluma,+CA+to:Serramonte+Nissan,+Serramonte+Boulevard,+Colma,+CA+to:Boardwalk+Nissan,+Bair+Island+Road,+Redwood+City,+CA+to:premier+nissan,+san+jose,+ca+to:South+County+Nissan-Hyundai,+Stutz+Way,+Gilroy,+CA+to:MY+Nissan,+222+Auto+Center+Circle,+Salinas,+CA+93907+to:King+City,+CA&hl=en&geocode=Fb7uhQIdSw6t-CGdYNffmc6FQimTIx2XMXrPVDEInYS6QZ-wgA%3BFWsUawIdR6e0-CG4Nbgo2D788A%3BFRKkXgIdu8-8-CEIr93x2-w1sCmjiWTrd9iCgDH-Eflxjkbp6g%3BFWA8VQId8UXA-Ck3sXDFcauEgDECJfAFHXA_TQ%3BFQpSTwIdxcPF-CH3Dt6RQ3c0Iykbdaadix-bgDGANME0rb0IBw%3BFV5DTAIdPyS_-CGd6GLV4t9gTSl7jsgypCuFgDFxaHHTiZEDmw%3BFdmmRQIdLIm2-CHR6lcIzR1v6SnbWoY7UHOFgDFF2ESSQq92BQ%3BFUzpRwIdr0ew-CESOQi-OQWcqCn3A436-LSFgDFeY0LAF_eHIw%3BFcrgPgIdymWz-CGZj6yLQwNLYik7g1cH8XuPgDHHNmnd67Kjqg%3BFUUkPAIdVfW2-CEjFtkInBUaWilZ7OCZUKKPgDGGGB_C92Q_iw%3BFYvFOAIddUu8-CEtimROZehKbikjsi9PvTOOgDFXcUtMOLgnUw%3BFZqGNAIdoynB-CFtXPtyGWap5ymxZHhyn-ORgDE4yvbvCT6U6w%3BFWxOMAIddJS_-CFHU8r21o1LjynF39UGEP-NgDGGi-6tcRMc2Q%3BFQiQKAIdc8PH-CkDmcjX1_CSgDGuHe_FDZZZhQ&mra=pd&sll=39.257189,-121.982645&sspn=11.292241,15.292969&ie=UTF8&ll=39.266284,-121.992187&spn=11.289518,15.292969&z=6

Day 3 - 525 miles, 17 Branches, 15 Dealers
- King City, CA to San Ysidro, CA

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=King+City,+CA&daddr=Rabo+Bank,+6950+El+Camino+Real,+Atascadero,+CA+93422-4209+to:Coast+Nissan+%26+BMW,+Los+Osos+Valley+Road,+San+Luis+Obispo,+CA+to:Santa+Maria+Nissan+Mazda,+East+Battles+Road,+Santa+Maria,+CA+to:425+South+Kellogg+Avenue,+Santa+Barbara,+CA+93117+%28Santa+Barbara+Nissan%29+to:Team+Nissan:+PARTS+DEPT,+Auto+Center+Drive,+Oxnard,+CA+to:Woodland+Hills+Nissan,+Ventura+Boulevard,+CA+to:Santa+Monica+Nissan,+Santa+Monica+Boulevard,+Santa+Monica,+CA+to:635+West+Washington+Boulevard,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90015-4111+%28Downtown+La+Motors+Nissan%29+to:performance+Nissan,+Buena+Vista+Street,+Duarte,+CA+to:16444+South+Highland+Avenue,+Fontana,+CA+to:Riverside+Nissan+Mazda,+Indiana+Avenue,+Riverside,+CA+to:Stadium+Nissan,+West+Katella+Avenue,+Orange,+CA+to:Connell+Nissan:+Sales,+Harbor+Boulevard,+Costa+Mesa,+CA+to:Weseloh+Nissan,+Camino+Capistrano,+San+Juan+Capistrano,+CA+to:3535+Oceanside,+College+Boulevard,+Oceanside,+CA+to:Mossy+Nissan,+Clairemont+Mesa+Boulevard,+Kearny+Mesa,+San+Diego,+CA+to:San+Ysidro,+San+Diego,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FQiQKAIdc8PH-CkDmcjX1_CSgDGuHe_FDZZZhQ%3BFY56HQIdDcrO-CEWiZaCTCWagCmb23_cf8LsgDHdeoGZUTIBbQ%3BFYThGQIdCHzO-CEhEqetzpLRJik3IvOCyPDsgDEeXmI01ouxwA%3BFa8FFQIdnobS-CG9zUFHPDLadynj0m5SvGzsgDEwTPxydXAD2w%3BFYVtDQId_q7b-CEXg8GGVLSIsSkPnpordkDpgDFapTQT5U7Yew%3BFeVDCgIdWOzl-CEjfhWfgosZpA%3BFWhcCQId_Jbu-CEYXRE04dU6ASmFdZRotZ7CgDFYuYEyfmsYeA%3BFY8wBwIdfhTw-CHhwEWMr5DUUinfM4v8NLvCgDGbAJ7jvobFQQ%3BFXVVBwIdQUrz-CEfcqR8kvwUvylNknyGwcfCgDFRSKOJj3y1Kg%3BFdbgCAIdN8_3-CHw5K17ii2JrinfGS4rB9nCgDEnwZ_XXDGS8g%3BFTLdCAIdnOv_-ClRkQJiA0zDgDH9lAOePo3JUw%3BFSqnBQIdY1IA-SH3WkSbHONDHSnZCLEb8rDcgDHgk-sHlOfXrA%3BFcHeAwIdK4b5-CGipbuCvpMAhylxIh7qbdfcgDHlwHlnwjWUdA%3BFdLXAQId9LX4-CHdORaOVV1ifCmzGxZaZ9_cgDEYOlYU0EaxjA%3BFX7I_gEdZWf8-CHg3hEkuynyqSmJhDsEpfHcgDGec1T4kNAEQw%3BFVNP-gEd1ysC-Sn10JbA2HPcgDHfKW_NLQR8yA%3BFTT-9AEdVXQE-SHiOMS2wD0__SnV2AO4ov_bgDFP_VYLahnnmQ%3BFZS_8AEdrgsG-SnVmpXsIknZgDHWxhek0bvKjg&mra=ls&sll=34.388522,-119.091628&ie=UTF8&ll=34.379713,-119.080811&spn=6.019123,7.646484&z=7

Blaine, WA to San Ysidro, CA--now that's thinking big.
If we can figure out how to fill the holes without resorting to ICE vehicles, I'd think it's a go.
And, yes, it would take 3 days. If we plan on 40-60 mile segments that take 60-90 minutes each with hand-offs, then it adds up. I was thinking that SF-SD would occupy 12 hours minimum.

Regardless, I think I will start a new thread on this soon. Will be discussing at the June 4th SF Bay Area enthusiasts meeting and already have a few interested folks from the SoCal group.

LEAFer said:
Logistics problem with the baton (nice idea): the just arrived LEAF needs it to charge (unless the plan is to stop at existing EVSE points, but that won't work at the RV parks). In the meantime the new baton holder should get going -- without the baton :(
You're right, of course. I opened my mouth before I put my brain in gear. But I suppose we could use the event as a "pony express" type delivery for an upgraded L1 ordered by someone in the LA or San Diego area. To be delivered in pristine unused condition, of course!

If you want to stick with Soledad, it looks to me like the Santa Elena Mobile Home Park might be the best bet. It is the biggest one, and has a sizeable area set aside just for transient RVs. Since I'm retired, and already have the Ingineer EVSE, it would be no problem for me to do the Gilroy/Soledad leg.

I'd be a bit leery about going all the way to King City, since I'd have to get a 100% charge there to make it back home. The return trip would be 85 miles because I live 10 miles north of Gilroy. (Going down I could top off in Gilroy while waiting for the relay.)

Has anyone thought about timing? It seems like doing the whole thing in one day should be feasible, but people on the tail end are going to end up charging late into the light unless they take a leg which ends near their home. (i.e. drive to their pickup point early in the day, and charge there before the relay arrives.)

Ray

gascant said:
If we can figure out how to fill the holes without resorting to ICE vehicles, I'd think it's a go.
And, yes, it would take 3 days. If we plan on 40-60 mile segments that take 60-90 minutes each with hand-offs, then it adds up. I was thinking that SF-SD would occupy 12 hours minimum.

Regardless, I think I will start a new thread on this soon. Will be discussing at the June 4th SF Bay Area enthusiasts meeting and already have a few interested folks from the SoCal group.

If we can't do Blaine, WA to San Ysidro, CA I still think we should do Redding, CA to San Ysidro, CA over 2 days.. This is pretty close to border to border for California and there wouldn't be any holes.. I think it's important to get the dealers involved and excited about it, especially the ones that have been so good to this board.. I'm in to help coordinate! Start a new thread (This is your idea, I don't want to start it) and lets get people talking and strategizing.

~Dave

xtremeflyer said:
gascant said:

If we can't do Blaine, WA to San Ysidro, CA I still think we should do Redding, CA to San Ysidro, CA over 2 days.. This is pretty close to border to border for California and there wouldn't be any holes.. I think it's important to get the dealers involved and excited about it, especially the ones that have been so good to this board.. I'm in to help coordinate! Start a new thread (This is your idea, I don't want to start it) and lets get people talking and strategizing.

~Dave
OK, starting the new thread will happen on Monday. The Sacramento LEAF group needs a little gentle persuasion to become more active, but maybe this will help.

xtremeflyer said:
gascant said:

~Dave

Glad to see you so excited about this, Dave. You did a great job on the maps.

Great idea to loop around the LA basin, though we might not have to go so far east. The So Cal Edison CTAC site has many free, solar powered charge points in Irwindale near the 605 and the 210. But Fontana Nissan has been such a great dealership, it'd be great to involve them.

As I said, I'd love to ride the route from Costa Mesa to as far as Oceanside, either as the relay driver or as part of a convoy.

planet4ever said:
If you want to stick with Soledad, it looks to me like the Santa Elena Mobile Home Park might be the best bet. It is the biggest one, and has a sizeable area set aside just for transient RVs. Since I'm retired, and already have the Ingineer EVSE, it would be no problem for me to do the Gilroy/Soledad leg.
Yeah, I think having the modified L1 EVSE will be critical to making this successful. That's one reason I'm suggesting the end of summer. It might take us two months to get everything lined up. I'm fully expecting to have some people needing the modified EVSE and have the opportunity to scope out transient RV parking to find out what adapters might be needed. It's going to be a huge commitment on the part of all participants.

Back