California bill to limit EV rebates to <=$40k MSRP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via ievs.com:
California State Senator Spurns Tesla, Calls For Limiting State Rebate To EVs $40,000 Or Less
http://insideevs.com/california-senator-spurns-tesla-calls-for-limiting-states-rebate-to-evs-40000-or-less/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Via ABG:
California's ongoing fight to limit EV rebates to lower-income buyers
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/25/california-fight-limit-ev-rebates-lower-income-buyers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It also seeks to increase the max. rebate to $3.5k. Seeing as how I've been advocating here for something like this for the past two years or so, it shouldn't come as any surprise that I'm in favor ;) I might make it a bit more nuanced, and put the rebate limit at say $30k selling price (out the door less govt. taxes and fees, to avoid manufacturers and dealers adding $5k destination charges and $1k paperwork fees) for all cars up to 100 miles EPA, reducing the amount of the rebate by $1 for every dollar the sale prices exceeds $30k. BUT, add an exception that allows the trigger price to increase by say $50 to $100 for every mile of EPA range over 100 miles, up to a maximum of say $35k to $40k, then reducing dollar for dollar as above. Have it start 1/1/2017, then reduce the trigger and max. prices by $500 on 1/1/2018, $500 more on 1/1/2019, then $1,000 every subsequent January 1st. The rationale is to drive the price for a given range continuously downwards so that more and more people can afford them, and eventually the law will naturally sunset itself, if we don't want to put a hard date on it. This will also inhibit manufacturers/dealers from bundling all sorts of unnecessary/unwanted options that the customer has to take in order to get more essential ones.

Oh, and make people choose whether they want the HOV stickers OR the rebate; they can't take both.

MSRP? I think $60,000 would be more realistic.
Not sure they understand we pay extra to avoid gasoline.
RAV4 with 50,000+ MSRP is certainly not a luxury vehicle.

smkettner said:
MSRP? I think $60,000 would be more realistic.
Not sure they understand we pay extra to avoid gasoline.
RAV4 with 50,000+ MSRP is certainly not a luxury vehicle.
RAV4EVs are gone, and paying $50k or more before rebates for _any_ RAV4 shows that someone's not hurting for cash. The average price for a U.S. new car in 2013 was $32,086; see
Who Can Afford The Average Car Price? Only Folks In Washington, D.C.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/12/who-can-afford-the-average-car-price-only-folks-in-washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We need BEVs that the middle class can afford and consider as a sole car, with enough remaining range after several years that they still have some utility and can be sold to someone even lower on the income scale. Current 'affordable' BEVs don't qualify. By 2017, we are told by automakers that several will be available that do so; a bill like this just does what Tesla says it wants to do, drive the price of BEVs down so that the masses can afford them (while not helping people who don't need it). No one who can afford a Tesla S or X is going to be put off by paying an extra $2.5 or even $3.5k.

I did pay the average price for a vehicle for my RAV4-EV. However the $50,000 MSRP would have excluded me from the rebate.
Still not a luxury vehicle.

Sensibly priced evs with decent range may be just around the corner
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0MK2FC20150324?irpc=932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't cover that Tesla short yet

smkettner said:
I did pay the average price for a vehicle for my RAV4-EV. However the $50,000 MSRP would have excluded me from the rebate.
Still not a luxury vehicle.

That's an inflated compliance car price and if you paid $50K you clearly did not lease and get the huge incentives. I think $40K MSRP is a good target, of course the new LEAF SLX will be $41,300 on the top end.

Whatever. Seriously I have a very low threshold for bureaucratic masturbation. Make it simple or just forget about it.

Back