CA HOV Lanes - hybrids OUT EVs IN?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Nothing can become law until it has been approved, with identical wording, by both houses.

So how did AS get to "sign" anything? I thought that was the last part of passing a law into being? Oh, and remember....I'm one of "tham thar furiners". I haven't taken your civics, yet.

mwalsh said:
planet4ever said:
Nothing can become law until it has been approved, with identical wording, by both houses.
So how did AS get to "sign" anything? I thought that was the last part of passing a law into being? Oh, and remember....I'm one of "tham thar furiners". I haven't taken your civics, yet.
27 Feb 2009! - AB 1500 was introduced in the California State Assembly.
03 Jun 2009 - It was passed by the Assembly and sent to the State Senate.
- The Senate kicked it around in committees for a while.
11 Sep 2009 - The Senate sent it to the inactive file.
- It sat there in the "dead file" for eight and a half months.
26 May 2010 - The Senate brought the bill back to active and amended it.
17 Jun 2010 - Passed by Senate, sent back to Assembly due to amendments.
21 Jun 2010 - Assembly concurred with Senate amendments.
23 Jun 2010 - Sent to the Governor.
06 Jul 2010 - Signed by the Governor.

How do I know all this? I just now looked it up: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1500_bill_20100706_history.html

The gubernator's signing was the last step for putting that bill into law. We are now golden. The one that is still pending passage in both houses is different. It extends HOV privileges to plug-in ER hybrids like the Volt, not the same as all-electric EVs like the Leaf.

OK, so I think you misunderstood me. We agree then that AB 1500 is law. Great.

But what I'm asking about is SB 535, and language in it that differs to AB 1500, most particularly in that it allows (non-PHEV) hybrids to stay in the HOV lane until July 1, 2011.

Now what happens if/when THAT becomes law? Do (non-PHEV) hybrids get kicked out under AB 1500 or are they allowed to stay under SB 535?

Usually the language of the new law would be changed to make its effect clear.

But, there are often conflicting laws: one prohibits disturbing any natural habitat in some area, yet another requires clearing areas around structures in the same areas.

The next step, after signing, is for the law to actually go into effect, usually the next 1 January unless specified otherwise in the bill.

Here, there is often another step, putting the "law" in some sort of "limbo" while it is litigated (sometimes for years) in the courts.

Finally, "enforcement" can be missing, unfunded, or just mostly ignored (like our max speed limit).

I believe that any "law" that is not uniformly enforced for 6 or 12 months should automatically be removed unless there is new a 90% vote to "refresh" it for another year.

garygid said:
I believe that any "law" that is not uniformly enforced for 6 or 12 months should automatically be removed unless there is new a 90% vote to "refresh" it for another year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes.
Okay, I admit it. I'm a lawyer.

http://www.dailytech.com/Prius+Drivers+Being+Kicked+Out+of+Californias+HOV+Lanes/article19012.htm

Not going to post many of these, unless something new and dramatic happens. But I especially like the use of Nelson here.

Here's how it looked dropping into my mailbox:

nelson.jpg

:lol:

my wife was telling a co-worker who drives a hybrid that we were going to get the carpool sticker. She complained that they were letting too many cars in and it was getting too crowded.

She doesn't know that California has a plan to relieve the crowding. :lol: :lol:

Rat said:
garygid said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes.
Okay, I admit it. I'm a lawyer.
And this, Counselor, is why I don't try to remove my own appendix and why I visit an attorney for legal assistance. ;) :lol:

TRONZ said:
When do the Hybrids get kicked out anyways?
Don't forget that "enhanced advanced technology partial zero emission vehicle" aka plugin hybrids will most likely be let in January 1, 2012.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

jcesare said:
TRONZ said:
When do the Hybrids get kicked out anyways?
July
Here's an article in today's San Jose Mercury News
With carpool perk ending for hybrids, some owners are trading up - San Jose Mercury News
http://t.co/eFfpWoM

We just love the hatred we're getting in the comments section. They think we're uniformed elitist "hippies" simply because we chose to take advantage of a perk that is available to anyone who wishes to paticipate. Guess I should be mad at people for accepting tax breaks/credits or those who use coupons. Next time I see someone in the 10 items or less lane I'm so giving them the stink eye.

Tomorrow makes two months since I picked up my Leaf and I still don't have my stickers. The process of applying for them requires the dealer to file their paperwork, and then for you to get plates for the car. After that you have to apply by mail for the HOV stickers. I performed every task the first day I could, but still no stickers. As far as I can tell the DMV in Sacramento is pretty disfunctional. As a result the Leaf has been sitting at home while I continue to drive my Prius.

Back