Buying used - 2013 vs 2012?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leased a 2012 Leaf 37 months ago. I've never had a problems with it. After 3 years, I've only taken the car back to the dealer for a software upgrade and tire rotation. Although I've paid $410.00 per month, it's been a great value since I haven't had to purchase gas since I took on the lease and there's been no maintenance costs other than $10.00 for tire rotation.

I know that the 2012's were built in Japan and the 2013's were built in Tennessee. I don't think I'd want a 2013, based on the fact that it was the first year that the Tennessee facility was producing the Leaf.

I'd purchase the 2012 if Nissan was going to give me a bit bigger buy down, but they are only offering a $5,000.00 buy down for anyone that took a 3 year lease. Those that took a 2 year lease are being offered a $7,000.00 buy down.

On average, during summer months, I get a 80 to 85 mile range. In winter months it's about half that and if you get stuck on the snow/ice and the wheels spin, you can't believe how fast the battery wares down. I do however live in an area that has a tough winter - Rochester, NY. It's an absolute necessity to have the defroster on during the winter, as well as heated seats/steering wheel.

Personally, I'm looking for a 2012 to purchase. Most of them are from $9,500.00 to $13,000.00. It's a pretty low price compared to the 2015s. The battery range on the 2012s are sufficient for me at this time.

I know that the 2012's were built in Japan and the 2013's were built in Tennessee. I don't think I'd want a 2013, based on the fact that it was the first year that the Tennessee facility was producing the Leaf.

I generally agree with the idea that early production vehicles are more problematic, but my 2013 SV has only one build quality issue: the rear hatch is a little hard to close, and I think they "fixed" it incorrectly at the dealership, so it now also clanks a bit when closing. That's not bad for a newly-opened assembly line producing a vehicle with numerous improvements over the Gen 1.2 cars...

smsalter said:
On average, during summer months, I get a 80 to 85 mile range. In winter months it's about half that and if you get stuck on the snow/ice and the wheels spin, you can't believe how fast the battery wares down. I do however live in an area that has a tough winter - Rochester, NY. It's an absolute necessity to have the defroster on during the winter, as well as heated seats/steering wheel.

For temps above 5F, you'll see quite a bit of benefit by going with a heat-pump-equipped model, which means a 2013 or later Leaf SV or SL (NOT the Leaf S).

Sounds like the OP is worried about made in Japan vs US.

That not much of an issue in this case. 2013+ is quite reliable.

Their is a huge difference between the 2013 and earlier. It's really a totally redesigned car that happens to look the same. Almost every part is different. From little plastic mouldings to the drive train. 2013+ is the second generation car with lots of improvements. SV has important added features. Heat pump. Much better regen in B mode. Newer battery chemistry. Etc.

If you're thinking about keeping long term you must factor in battery replacement.

Back