Buying decision - durability of seats with and room for dog

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwuwlaw

We have a C-Max energi and love using EV. I have a 50 mile round trip commute (40 on freeway) without charging at work, so when I drive the C-Max, I'm using about .5 to .6 gallons of gas. My wife's commute is under 20 miles, which she can do on all electricity. Our other car is a Mazda5, which we use to transport our dog (and two kids). We'd miss the sliding doors and extra leg room the Mazda5 provides, but we really want to reduce our gas usage if we can. At least until the battery degrades, I figure our commutes can be fully electric if we have the Leaf and C-Max. When the battery degrades in the Leaf or I need to run errands during the day in addition to the commute, we'll use minimal gas.

With a dog to occasionally run around along with the kids, the Outlander PHEV is really what I have my eyes on, but I'm impatient. Model X would also be ideal, but I'm not that well off... The C-max will not fit the dog, or we'd probably buy another one of those or a Volt. We live in the Seattle area, so the Rav4 EV is unfortunately not a realistic option for us unless they start selling it here. So here are my questions regarding the Leaf:

Is it realistic to think that my dog can occasionally comfortably ride in the trunk area with the back seats up? How awkward is it to lift the dog in?

How durable are the seats in the SV? We generally prefer leather because we let the kids eat in the car and things inevitably spill/grind into seats. Leather cleans up nicely, but the cloth seats in my 04 Prius became stained and worn to the point it affected resale value. If the cloth seats in the Leaf are more durable to kid abuse, I'd love to save some money and get an SV rather than an SL. Anyone have experience with the seats holding or not holding up to kid abuse? Is the leather worth the investment for those with kids?

Other than leather, is there any other reason to get an SL over an SV? The solar spoiler seems to be a gimmick, but I could be wrong. Do SL's hold resale proportionately to SVs so I'd get most my initial extra investment back on resale?

Right now I'm planning to buy so that I can trade in or sell it when I want to rather than a fixed term. Also, the tax benefits plus $3500 rebate are slightly better than the lease incentives. However, having never leased, I'm wondering whether it is possible to lease and then buy out the lease early if I decide to trade in for something else (Outlander or 2016 Leaf...) sooner than the lease expires. Actually, I assume it is possible, but are there financial penalties for the early lease buy out? If not, it seems like as long as I can negotiate the same purchase price for leasing as if buying, there isn't much downside to leasing. Any thoughts on that route? Sorry if I should have included some of these questions in separate topics...

Our mastiff is 150 lbs, and was once over 170 lbs. She rides comfortably in the back seat. Usually we'll stuff some pillows or cushions into the rear footwells to make it even easier for her. She wears a travel harness which clips into the seatbelt receptacle. She's big enough that she just sort of walks into the back by herself. :p

file.php

Even though I'd used Scotch-Gard when getting the car, once I knew I'd be hauling a large dog, I installed Wet Okole seat covers and they have been more than up to the task. Occasionally I toss the rear cover into the washing machine and it's good as new. I hope to transfer them to my next LEAF if they fit.

You're right that the Rav's not for sale outside of California, and never will be, but you could get a used one. If you want a plug-in with the features of an SUV, it's the only option at any price. And it's a pretty good price considering you get a Model S drivetrain with twice the battery size of a Leaf!

Our Irish Wolfhound rides in the LEAF. She can turn around if needed. But if she is not laying down, she is all I see when I look in the rearview mirror.

I have a blanket down on the seat to try and minimize the impact she makes with mud etal. We haven't tried to fill in the space between the front and back. She does like to sit with her feet on the floor and her rear on the bench if she isn't laying down on the bench.

Good luck - love the image of your dog filling the back.

Our dog would actually have to sit in the trunk/hatch area behind the bench seats. The bench seats would be occupied by our two kids.

My parents have an Irish Wolfhound that travels well in back seats too. Great breed.

IMHO you are correct, the spoiler is a gimmick and there really should be no problem getting the dog inside and then traveling with it.

fooljoe said:
You're right that the Rav's not for sale outside of California, and never will be, but you could get a used one. If you want a plug-in with the features of an SUV, it's the only option at any price. And it's a pretty good price considering you get a Model S drivetrain with twice the battery size of a Leaf!

The motor is not the same and is smaller- FYI:)

Nubo said:
Our mastiff is 150 lbs, and was once over 170 lbs. She rides comfortably in the back seat. Usually we'll stuff some pillows or cushions into the rear footwells to make it even easier for her. She wears a travel harness which clips into the seatbelt receptacle. She's big enough that she just sort of walks into the back by herself. :p

file.php

Even though I'd used Scotch-Gard when getting the car, once I knew I'd be hauling a large dog, I installed Wet Okole seat covers and they have been more than up to the task. Occasionally I toss the rear cover into the washing machine and it's good as new. I hope to transfer them to my next LEAF if they fit.

Is that a print on those covers or aged dog slobber? :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Is that a print on those covers or aged dog slobber? :lol:

Some of both, I imagine :)

The camouflage pattern does a remarkable job hiding mud and dog hairs too. Getting them out of the carpeting and other nooks and crannies is another matter.

cwuwlaw said:
Is it realistic to think that my dog can occasionally comfortably ride in the trunk area with the back seats up? How awkward is it to lift the dog in?

My LEAF's main purpose is to drive dogs 19 miles to & from the beach. I took the back seats out just to fit the critters in better. My Border Collies hop right up through the back hatch no problemo. One (a 50lb dog) actually prefers to ride in that trunk area so I put a cushion under the mat.

Just updating in case anyone had the same question. I use my 2015 Leaf as my primary dog vehicle. He is about 70 pounds and fits no problem in the trunk area. Just have to help him in because 1 he is old and 2 the trunk is deep. He likes it back there and it seems safe for human occupants because the deep well trunk and relatively tall seats would prevent him from flying forward in an accident.

Nubo said:

file.php

thats a good looking dog

I got the leaf cause me and the dog are really active in running. My civic smells like sweaty runners, and beach dog...he's a Black Lab/Hound Mix...the Leaf has a ton of room for him, plus beach stuff...and running stuff, plus he gets windows. walmart has an awesome seat cover for dogs...also I have wet-Okole covers too...if you have a free charger to park at...take the dog for a walk...now both your buddy and your car will start conversations.

I had figured that someone would state the obvious (to Leaf owners) but that hasn't been the case. Anyway, the cloth seats in the SV are light-duty, just short of "flimsy." You do not want to carry a dog without tough seat covers and something for the cargo area. For the latter, I use recycled plastic indoor/outdoor carpeting that I bought at Lowes for $20. It's tough, cuts fairly easily and the gray doesn't look bad. I don't have a dog but I'm familiar with the species, but I don't think that Nissan has heard of them...

Back