Brand New Leaf won't charge after 2 days of use

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanblueleaf

Just picked up 2012 leaf SV on saturday night.
trickel charge on saturday and sunday worked great.
monday used L2 public charger (nissan's original charger) got to 60% and stopped. charger lost power.
car has a yellow triangle (master alarm light) and won't drive faster than 25 mph.
tried other public chargers. car won't charge. the charger detected car connected but won't charge. all timers are off.
the owner of the charger reset the circuit breaker and the original charger came back online.
called nissan roadside and was told the dealer is closed and they will take the car to storage.
drove it home and tried the 120 trickle charger. doesnt' work either. car now has 6 miles left.
tried unplugging the 12v battery for 5 min and plugged it back in. still master alarm light on.
got it towed to the dealer on my 3rd day of ownership.
i hoped it's not the blown diode that people are talking about with GE chargers (car was plugged into the white nissan charger).
reports indicate only 11 leafs were effected. hope i'm not lucky #12

didn't look like a turtle but was a yellow car with a line going across it next to the green ready to drive car image.
the start button light was red too. don't remember if it was always like that (for the few days that i managed to drive it)

oceanblueleaf said:
...i hoped it's not the blown diode that people are talking about with GE chargers (car was plugged into the white nissan charger).
reports indicate only 11 leafs were effected. hope i'm not lucky #12
It seems likely. Unfortunately, the LEAF seems sensitive to power problems, and a power outage would definitely qualify. What worries me is when this starts happening to people outside the warranty period. It's a very expensive repair and it seems to me that it's a LEAF defect.

mwalsh said:
Well, obviously we have to wait for more details. But that seems like a pretty significant flaw if it can happen from just the EVSE loosing power. :shock:
Yeah, I just posted it the the Chelsea Sexton thread in hopes she can add this to the list for the new owner's group to address with Nissan: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10257&p=236549#p236549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been three months since GE put the blame on Nissan, and we've heard nothing since.

davewill said:
mwalsh said:
Well, obviously we have to wait for more details. But that seems like a pretty significant flaw if it can happen from just the EVSE loosing power. :shock:
Yeah, I just posted it the the Chelsea Sexton thread in hopes she can add this to the list for the new owner's group to address with Nissan: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10257&p=236549#p236549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been three months since GE put the blame on Nissan, and we've heard nothing since.

Thanks Dave, that was a good idea.

This was likely caused by a faulty EVSE.

If so, It can be corrected by disconnection of the negative 12V battery lead under the hood for a few minutes.

The technical cause is the EVSE still delivering power when the Leaf de-acks the EVSE Pilot signal.

-Phil

It's confirmed. I have a damaged onboard charger.
It was plugged into a aerovironmet. The charger appears to work after the circuit breaker reset (can't tell since I don't have my car to test). I saw another leaf plugged in but it wasn't charging (possible timer? Since its owned by my employer).
The dealer said Nissan wanted the model and serial number of the charger before authorizing the repair.
I'll wait and see.
So much for my new car smell. 2 days of driving and now it's going in for brain surgery.

oceanblueleaf said:
It was plugged into a aerovironmet. The charger appears to work after the circuit breaker reset (can't tell since I don't have my car to test). I saw another leaf plugged in but it wasn't charging (possible timer? Since its owned by my employer).
The dealer said Nissan wanted the model and serial number of the charger before authorizing the repair.
I'll wait and see.
So much for my new car smell. 2 days of driving and now it's going in for brain surgery.
Wouldn't Nissan know the model and serial number of their own charger installed in your Leaf, or are you talking about the AV charging dock?

Stoaty said:
oceanblueleaf said:
I'll wait and see.
Wouldn't Nissan know the model and serial number of their own charger installed in your Leaf, or are you talking about the AV charging dock?

Sorry, newbie here and don't have all the right terms.
They wanted the serial number and model of the public charger that I was connected to before this happened.

The "public" charging station has an "EVSE", and the charger is in the car.

In general, the model and serial number, or even the maker of
a public charging station's EVSE would not be available at the
charging site, right?

It seems that Nissan really needs to do something to make
the LEAF's charging interface more robust. Hopefully the
2013 model will have taken care of that issue.

I had the same problem couple of months back. The car had to be towed twice before Nissan replaced the charger. I noticed that the bill was around $3k (but was covered under warranty). I hope I don't develop this issue again after warranty expires (I am on a 39 mo/45k miles lease).

Got the car back today.
Here are the tech notes:
Code P3196
Flow chart step 3 indicates replace charger
Tested Diode LO one way and 1.025 M OHMS indicating good diode
Check all 12 volt connectors, verify they are latched and no pins have been bent. All checked ok.
Freeze data review escalated, OBC was ordered.
After delivery and installation of OBC code cleared and vehicle charged battery to full charge.

Hope that helps somebody or nissan to identify what is causing this

oceanblueleaf said:
Got the car back today.
Here are the tech notes:
Code P3196
Flow chart step 3 indicates replace charger
Tested Diode LO one way and 1.025 M OHMS indicating good diode
Check all 12 volt connectors, verify they are latched and no pins have been bent. All checked ok.
Freeze data review escalated, OBC was ordered.
After delivery and installation of OBC code cleared and vehicle charged battery to full charge.

Hope that helps somebody or nissan to identify what is causing this

When they replaced my charger, I asked if they could tell me what they found to be "broken".
They said no they would not tell me.
I told them I thought that was kind of "shitty" (paraphrase), since the car would not always be under warranty, and it was kind of important that I knew what happened.

They said " We fixed the problem that THESE chargers were having, so it won't be an issue in the future".

Not sure if this is true, and they redesigned the front end on these chargers, or I just got handled.
If they truly redesigned them, maybe you should count yourself lucky that the charger went now, and you have one of the "new" ones.

Am I the only one who is disturbed by Nissan's lack of transparency with this stuff?
I DO own the car...right?

Back