Brake Pad Shims and Plates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsevier

I have heard a groan from the right rear when starting and thought it might be coming from the rear brakes. I took them apart and noticed they had been replaced with non-OEM parts. I cleaned and lubed them but the groan has not gone away. Lastly, on the right rear, instead of having an inner pad with a wear indicator, the inner is the same part as the outer. I am not sure this is causing the groan but seems odd like they put the wrong parts in the box. Has anybody had issue with aftermarket parts that do not have shim system (shim and cover on each side) of OEM? Thanks!

Attachments

• Rear Brake Parts, 2014 Leaf.JPG
    Rear Brake Parts, 2014 Leaf.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi dsevier. Many genuine pad sets include anti-squeal or shim inserts and they generally work fine. The aftermarket often doesn't include anti squeal components and they work fine. If you check on You tube, you'll see loads of examples of professionals and home mechanics putting a dab of grease on the back of the pad plate to ensure no brake pad squealing. It's good practice not to mix genuine and non-genuine parts too. There is an English (UK) tv series called Wheeler Dealers and the various presenters often run through complete brake change project which will give you a good idea of what to do and what not to do.

I have heard a groan from the right rear when starting and thought it might be coming from the rear brakes. I took them apart and noticed they had been replaced with non-OEM parts. I cleaned and lubed them but the groan has not gone away. Lastly, on the right rear, instead of having an inner pad with a wear indicator, the inner is the same part as the outer. I am not sure this is causing the groan but seems odd like they put the wrong parts in the box. Has anybody had issue with aftermarket parts that do not have shim system (shim and cover on each side) of OEM? Thanks!
Many lower end brake pads don't have 'chamfered' edges where they meet to discs - the 90* edge can cause vibration / groaning / squealing even from new.
Any that I'm fitting that come like that, I always Don my face mask and ring the leading and trailing edges to 45*, with 100% mouse suppression each time....

Hi dsevier. Many genuine pad sets include anti-squeal or shim inserts and they generally work fine. The aftermarket often doesn't include anti squeal components and they work fine. If you check on You tube, you'll see loads of examples of professionals and home mechanics putting a dab of grease on the back of the pad plate to ensure no brake pad squealing. It's good practice not to mix genuine and non-genuine parts too. There is an English (UK) tv series called Wheeler Dealers and the various presenters often run through complete brake change project which will give you a good idea of what to do and what not to do.
Thanks for the info on the shims/plates. While I lubed the ears of the pads I didn't try to remove the aftermarket shims and lube between the pad and shim. I'll give that a shot. BTW, I loved Wheeler Dealers, especially when Edd China would do the technical stuff. Tanks!

Many lower end brake pads don't have 'chamfered' edges where they meet to discs - the 90* edge can cause vibration / groaning / squealing even from new.
Any that I'm fitting that come like that, I always Don my face mask and ring the leading and trailing edges to 45*, with 100% mouse suppression each time....
Thanks for the suggestion. Mine are chamfered, caliper pins cleaned and lubed. Pad ear to stainless "guides" lubed. I would just put OEM pads back in but previous owner tossed out the shim set along with pads. Nissan sells the shim set for $70 and for another $60. I did find a website the had a long list of culprits for brake groan including out of true rotors to poor fit of aftermarket pads. I will check everything out.

https://www.autocornerd.com/why-do-my-brakes-squeak-when-i-first-start-driving/

Has anyone replaced their OEM rear brake pads on a Gen 1 Leaf with aftermarket parts without issue? If so, can you recommend a brand & model? Debating whether to simply replace my aftermarket pads that have a groan with new aftermarket or going back to OEM with new shims and pads. Thanks!

Back