Brake issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I don't have another EV that meets my criteria yet other than the Tesla Model S that I can't afford. My next EV has to meet two critical points or I will simply walk away. The Car has to have a realistic range of 200 + highway miles at roughly 65 to 70 mph while running climate control (no exceptions to anything that can't go at least 200 miles at highway speeds). It also has to have a liquid cooled and heated battery. No more of this "air cooled" complete BS. If it's not liquid heated/cooled, goodbye I'm gone. So after I turn my electric car in, I'm going back to ice till an electric car meets BOTH of these criteria, absolutely no exceptions.

Sorry, I don't think you know how to care for and drive the car yet.

- Check the tire inflation.

- Use ECO mode. All the time.

- Accelerate with no more than three power bubbles. Don't floor it.

- Learn how to drive without using the brake peddle. This means leaving lots of following room, feathering the throttle to have no or little regen and then lift WAY before anyone else is slowing down for lights, stop signs etc.

- get the ELM and Leaf Spy.

50 miles is a piece of cake.

I just did 100.1 miles on one full charge in Boston, in the winter (~40 degrees out), mostly at night with the lights on, sometimes the wiper and defroster, on 2013 SV with 20,000 miles on it. Finished with 6%.
I also just did a 60 mile RT to the airport at an average speed of 66 MPH (top speed 83 for many miles...) and got home with a 22% left.

The SV has B mode, but I really wasn't slowing down that much on the fast run.

Either you have a setup problem, aren't charging fully, you are driving totally inefficiently, or the whole problem is made up.

^^^
Yep. We don't know his ending % SoC either. It's possible he's excessively varying his speed for no reason and that he's also hammering the brakes, thus causing friction brakes to do a fair amount of the braking, thus throwing energy away.

Also, if the car doesn't terminate charge at 100% by itself (no early unplugging), it might not've completed battery balancing. When I charge @ work on Chargepoint stations, I see the bounces after the ramp down as shown at the PDF at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

CRLeafSL said:
To be honest, I don't have another EV that meets my criteria yet other than the Tesla Model S that I can't afford. My next EV has to meet two critical points or I will simply walk away. The Car has to have a realistic range of 200 + highway miles at roughly 65 to 70 mph while running climate control (no exceptions to anything that can't go at least 200 miles at highway speeds). It also has to have a liquid cooled and heated battery. No more of this "air cooled" complete BS. If it's not liquid heated/cooled, goodbye I'm gone. So after I turn my electric car in, I'm going back to ice till an electric car meets BOTH of these criteria, absolutely no exceptions.

I agree, EV is not for suburban living or going to work more than a 100miles range...I just want 50miles range comfortably drive with out range anxiety and to be able to turn heat when it's cold and turn a/c when it's hot. Just 50miles...that's all I want and this leaf won't do it for me. if everyone here thinks I am not lying then you notice my car is something wrong right? if you agree then please tell Nissan to fix my car or swap with other car or simply take it back. if you don't agree then this car is really suitable for people who drives only local and use all AUXs like a/c and heater and drive less than 50 miles and be able to stay home for 18hrs to be full charge. yeah this car won't do any thing for me. I am wasting my money next couple more years. and I won't be happy whole time. Nissan SUCKS.

gotd77 said:
I just want 50miles range comfortably drive with out range anxiety and to be able to turn heat when it's cold and turn a/c when it's hot. Just 50miles...that's all I want and this leaf won't do it for me. if everyone here thinks I am not lying then you notice my car is something wrong right? if you agree then please tell Nissan to fix my car or swap with other car or simply take it back.
A new Leaf has definitely more than 50 miles when new, when charged fully. Hell, from Tony's range chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), if you drive 75 mph on level ground w/no HVAC usage, you should be able to drive 62 miles before battery exhaustion. And, that's the case if your consumption is 3 miles/kWh. That makes sense since the Leaf has about 21 kWh usable battery capacity.

As for "fix", you need to at least take readings like I suggested and tell us efficiency (miles/kWh) you're achieving and the other data, besides the checks, like tire pressure. As for take it back, well, major automakers don't have return policies on cars and I'm aware of no states w/mandates return policies/cooling off periods: http://priuschat.com/threads/which-states-have-a-cooling-off-return-period-on-new-cars.103928/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you use LeafSpy (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), you should be able to see if you have a weak/bad cell(s), which could cause reduced range.

As we've said, there are numerous bad habits that lead to bad efficiency, such as excessive varying of speeds, overuse of regen when you'd be better off actually coasting (no regen), overuse of regen because you went too fast to begin with (you extra energy to go too fast and then threw some of it away due to regen), improper HVAC use (which could include running the heat or AC w/o realizing it), going too fast, underinflated tires, opening windows (increases drag), hammering the brakes, causing friction brakes to kick in, etc.

Yogi62 said:
Sorry, I don't think you know how to care for and drive the car yet.

- Check the tire inflation.

- Use ECO mode. All the time.

- Accelerate with no more than three power bubbles. Don't floor it.

- Learn how to drive without using the brake peddle. This means leaving lots of following room, feathering the throttle to have no or little regen and then lift WAY before anyone else is slowing down for lights, stop signs etc.

- get the ELM and Leaf Spy.

50 miles is a piece of cake.

I just did 100.1 miles on one full charge in Boston, in the winter (~40 degrees out), mostly at night with the lights on, sometimes the wiper and defroster, on 2013 SV with 20,000 miles on it. Finished with 6%.
I also just did a 60 mile RT to the airport at an average speed of 66 MPH (top speed 83 for many miles...) and got home with a 22% left.

The SV has B mode, but I really wasn't slowing down that much on the fast run.

Either you have a setup problem, aren't charging fully, you are driving totally inefficiently, or the whole problem is made up.

only thing I have not tried was put more air into tires.
I drive exactly what you just mention! ECO mode all time and no more than three power bubbles.
I never open window when speed more than 45m/h to reduce drag...
please don't think that I have no idea how to drive this thing. I have tried most of things have been advised in this website. I explain to Nissan all this and they keep telling me "your car is normal"
simply I never use a/c, heat, cruise contrl and I use ECO mode all time and try to be less then three bubble. and when im in hwy I try to go under 60. my car get 85-91 miles full charge and after do 50miles driving I only gets 15%-16% battery life. and I think that leaves me around 10-15miles.
do you really think it is my driving style? or my car is something wrong? I don't know how I can improve my driving skill than this?? and Nissan says my car is normal...what should I do??

Your claim is that you are using 85% of a new (~22.5KW) battery in 50 miles. That's 2.6 miles per KW. Without using the heater that's an astoundingly low number.

Fill up your tires and get some real data like the other posters said.

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
I just want 50miles range comfortably drive with out range anxiety and to be able to turn heat when it's cold and turn a/c when it's hot. Just 50miles...that's all I want and this leaf won't do it for me. if everyone here thinks I am not lying then you notice my car is something wrong right? if you agree then please tell Nissan to fix my car or swap with other car or simply take it back.
A new Leaf has definitely more than 50 miles when new, when charged fully. Hell, from Tony's range chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), if you drive 75 mph on level ground w/no HVAC usage, you should be able to drive 62 miles before battery exhaustion. And, that's the case if your consumption is 3 miles/kWh. That makes sense since the Leaf has about 21 kWh usable battery capacity.

As for "fix", you need to at least take readings like I suggested and tell us efficiency (miles/kWh) you're achieving and the other data, besides the checks, like tire pressure. As for take it back, well, major automakers don't have return policies on cars and I'm aware of no states w/mandates return policies/cooling off periods: http://priuschat.com/threads/which-states-have-a-cooling-off-return-period-on-new-cars.103928/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you use LeafSpy (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), you should be able to see if you have a weak/bad cell(s), which could cause reduced range.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
well I told Nissan that this car won't work for me or if car is something wrong then fix it! they said normal and kick me out from dealer. so now it is too funny if I go back and tell them to take it. they may be able to do it that point since it was brand new new!. all I am saying they do not want to do anything but selling EV. my average kwh was 4.2. that's best I can get. I do ECO on and stay below three bubble and not more than 65 miles on hwy. and windows up. and after full charge and do 50 miles trip then I get low battery light on. I went to service 3 times. they kept saying my car is normal and go home!.
im sick of them.

so leaf spy has apple ver. too? what and where to start? I am not a computer gig. some one really need to walk me though.

As we've said, there are numerous bad habits that lead to bad efficiency, such as excessive varying of speeds, overuse of regen when you'd be better off actually coasting (no regen), overuse of regen because you went too fast to begin with (you extra energy to go too fast and then threw some of it away due to regen), improper HVAC use (which could include running the heat or AC w/o realizing it), going too fast, underinflated tires, opening windows (increases drag), hammering the brakes, causing friction brakes to kick in, etc.

Yogi62 said:
Your claim is that you are using 85% of a new (~22.5KW) battery in 50 miles. That's 2.6 miles per KW. Without using the heater that's an astoundingly low number.

Fill up your tires and get some real data like the other posters said.

ok let me try put some air into tire see if that really helps.
other symptom that might drain my batter is I felt something always have drag on my car. it almost fill like I have side brakes on and try to drive. you know what I mean right? I check parking brakes position and I put eco and d mode all the time. my average is 4.2kw so....now you really think my car is something wrong right? Nissan said my car is normal. I told them may be regen device is causing a drag too much?? or brake is something ??? I raise so many question to them and Nissan told me your car is normal. so I ask them back that I have everything that mynissanleaf member advise me and where all these miles gone? they said "I don't know? may be your driving habit?" that's an acceptable.

The "regen device" is the motor. It uses and generates the electrons.

If you think one or more of the brakes might be dragging you can check that by touching the wheels (you can tell if there is one that is different) or use an infra-red temp gun to measure the temps.

Low tires will feel like "drag". Get them up to 42 and see how well it rolls.

4.2 miles/KW? That doesn't match up with your 50 mile 100% to 15% report. When did you do 4.2 miles/KW?

Yogi62 said:

If you think one or more of the brakes might be dragging you can check that by touching the wheels (you can tell if there is one that is different) or use an infra-red temp gun to measure the temps.

4.2 miles/KW? That doesn't match up with your 50 mile 100% to 15% report. When did you do 4.2 miles/KW?

I see them on my display every day...I reset it yesterday and it reads 4.2 again. I know number not matches...i agree. i also told Nissan and they told me my car is normal. so i told them to take a drive all day and see how fast my battery level drops. they said we don't have a time for that.
very rude!

Yogi62 said:
BTW, hate to pedantic, but lets get the units correct, to avoid further confusion. You mean, 4.2 miles/kWh.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=398967#p398967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=394229#p394229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
Yogi62 said:
BTW, hate to pedantic, but lets get the units correct, to avoid further confusion. You mean, 4.2 miles/kWh.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=398967#p398967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=394229#p394229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes, that shows on little window display with bar that moves when you accelerated.

gotd77 said:
Yogi62 said:

I see them on my display every day...I reset it yesterday and it reads 4.2 again. I know number not matches...i agree. i also told Nissan and they told me my car is normal. so i told them to take a drive all day and see how fast my battery level drops. they said we don't have a time for that.
very rude!
If you're achieving 4.2 miles/kWh, you should be achieve ~88+ miles on a new battery from 100% charge to complete exhaustion (aka dead, not some arbitrary low battery warning level).

When you say you've reset it, it you're pressing and holding the upper right button in the cluster of 4 buttons when the miles/kWh and it's going to - - -, right?
gotd77 said:
so leaf spy has apple ver. too? what and where to start? I am not a computer gig. some one really need to walk me though.
No. It only works on Android. If you don't have an Android device, some folks have used cheapo (under $50) pre-paid Android phones like one suggested at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=389047#p389047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
Yogi62 said:

very rude!
If you're achieving 4.2 miles/kWh, you should be achieve ~88+ miles on a new battery from 100% charge to complete exhaustion (aka dead, not some arbitrary low battery warning level).

When you say you've reset it, it you're pressing and holding the upper right button in the cluster of 4 buttons when the miles/kWh and it's going to - - -, right?

yup. also when i went to Nissan last time, they told me reset my leaf. i don't know what that means but they held my car for 2days. and told me my car is normal and they reset program.

nothing change...

1. full charge morning display shows 100% with 85 or 91~93 miles.
2. soon as i drive out to 45miles/h local road (talks 1 mile) my battery down to 98%
3. i get on hwy after 3 miles i do those ruls (three bubbles with up to 60miles or less speed with ECO)
then I get 87%
4. kept drive to work like that for another 15 miles hwy and get off. battery is down to 65% and shows 55mile left.
5. when i get to work another few more miles on the local road. keep below 40miles/h then i get 57% or less battery life.

now going back home is same way... when i get home i get either 15 or 18% battery life and some times i get low battery warning signal.

total round trip appox. 50 miles with no a/c no heat on!!

^^^
Ignore the "85 or 91~93 miles" or "shows 55mile left" values. Those are from the GOM (guess-o-meter): http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No point in using that.

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
Yogi62 said:

very rude!

gotd77 said:
No. It only works on Android. If you don't have an Android device, some folks have used cheapo (under $50) pre-paid Android phones like one suggested at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=389047#p389047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

omg...more steps?? I just want to get out of this car at this point...this car makes my family just horrible life. I don't want to deal all these hassle any more...you know one more thing i can tell you... my wife and kid were in the car going grocery store one day...she told me she had well enough to miles to cover to the grocery store. car stop on the road. grocery store is only few traffic lights from my home. I mean kids get involve with this car guys...I call Nissan assistance again. thanks Nissan! look what they have done to my family and specially that liar sale dude!! he never say sorry to me!.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Ignore the "85 or 91~93 miles" or "shows 55mile left" values. Those are from the GOM (guess-o-meter): http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No point in using that.

regardless what display says... all i do is
1. when I get home plug in..
2. next day i see all blue blinking lights off so that means it is fully charged right?
3. get into car and check it shows 100% battery
4. go to work and come home on the same way, no a/c, no heater. with ECO on.
5. i get low battery warning near get home. (approx. 50miles drive)

that's all i do...I barely can go to work. which is 50miles and it is 2015 S model.

thank you

This has been frustrating (and somewhat difficult) to read...

It is possible that you do have a one-off bad battery, and if you are really are "doing everything right" and still only getting ~60 miles* on a fully charged, new 2015 LEAF, then you need to press your case to the dealer and have them witness it or otherwise get it documented. 'Complaining' here in this forum won't get you much further. Most people here love the car, know it and its limitations well and have tried to help you. And if they are like "me", they/we really don't like people to be so disappointed in the vehicle or their purchase/lease.

As I understand it, Atlanta is one of the LEAF's biggest markets. So maybe you could try to find other (happy) LEAFers in the area who might be able to rendezvous and check out (and/or verify or resolve) your situation. You might also be able to find and contact a few of them here using the search features. (Here's one Atlanta thread, which you might start with.) If others confirm what you are reporting (others might have Leaf Spy) or you are sure of it, then you have to be adamant about having some dealer inspect and verify it. Then maybe, just maybe, you'd be able to have it replaced. The battery is warranted from manufacturing defects, after all. From a quick glance online, it appears as though Nissan Atlanta moves a lot of LEAFs, so you might try them if your dealer is as bad as it sounds.

In any case, good luck and I think we'd all love to hear that you eventually figure out what the problem is, get it resolved, become a LEAF "advocate", and report back. But I think that there's not much more that we can do here for you, remotely.

* Though on the first page you said
Yeah, I notice that when I charge 100% out side when it's cold, I only get 83miles and when it is hot day I get 98miles full charge.
which is quite different from what you say later on.

mbender said:
This has been frustrating (and somewhat difficult) to read...

It is possible that you do have a one-off bad battery, and if you are really are "doing everything right" and still only getting ~60 miles* on a fully charged, new 2015 LEAF, then you need to press your case to the dealer and have them witness it or otherwise get it documented. 'Complaining' here in this forum won't get you much further. Most people here love the car, know it and its limitations well and have tried to help you. And if they are like "me", they/we really don't like people to be so disappointed in the vehicle or their purchase/lease.

As I understand it, Atlanta is one of the LEAF's biggest markets. So maybe you could try to find other (happy) LEAFers in the area who might be able to rendezvous and check out (and/or verify or resolve) your situation. You might also be able to find and contact a few of them here using the search features. (Here's one Atlanta thread, which you might start with.) If others confirm what you are reporting (others might have Leaf Spy) or you are sure of it, then you have to be adamant about having some dealer inspect and verify it. Then maybe, just maybe, you'd be able to have it replaced. The battery is warranted from manufacturing defects, after all. From a quick glance online, it appears as though Nissan Atlanta moves a lot of LEAFs, so you might try them if your dealer is as bad as it sounds.

In any case, good luck and I think we'd all love to hear that you eventually figure out what the problem is, get it resolved, become a LEAF "advocate", and report back. But I think that there's not much more that we can do here for you, remotely.

* Though on the first page you said
Yeah, I notice that when I charge 100% out side when it's cold, I only get 83miles and when it is hot day I get 98miles full charge.
which is quite different from what you say later on.

I wrote just average range... How am i supposed to remember exact range which changes everyday? Also, yes atlanta is biggest sale in us is correct because govn't is support ev big time here like lots of tax credits on lease and purchase combination and hov lane usage and power bill reduce and more lastly dealers big time lie. Some people are happy because that dealers lie doesn't effect much of their life style and driving environmrnt. May be purhapse i am the only victom of us all. I address this issue to dealer and nissan corp many times and they totally band me not want to do anything. I am posting here just because hopping some one who are like me to see and tell me how they could get away with this bs. Thats all. If not then i wont come back here. My ultimate goal is to get out of this car.
Thanks

Back