Bosch Power Max 30 vs EVSE upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbbsquare

I have the leaf now I must figure out how to feed it. I originally though I would just use the 110 plug in charger, however the length of time to reach 100% does not allow me to take full advantage of discounted power rates. So I am considering using an upgraded EVSE cord or installing a Bosch Power Max.

1. EVSE upgrade approximately $330 with shipping and adapter plugs, must hook up and stow in the car daily

2. Bosch power max 30 (fitted with a plug for easy removal) approximately $660 this option allows use of 2 chargers for an increase of $300 which is less than I can purchase a stock cord for a leaf. I can reduce the cost by using a 16 amp level 2 from bosch but I believe the next generation of cars will benefit from the 30A version.

Trying to contain cost since I leased the leaf for 24 months and do not erode my savings on a charger. I maybe to early an adopter to realize a low price on a level 2 charger for the house. Have I missed an option I should consider for a level 2 charger?

jbbsquare said:
I have the leaf now I must figure out how to feed it. I originally though I would just use the 110 plug in charger, however the length of time to reach 100% does not allow me to take full advantage of discounted power rates. So I am considering using an upgraded EVSE cord or installing a Bosch Power Max.

1. EVSE upgrade approximately $330 with shipping and adapter plugs, must hook up and stow in the car daily

2. Bosch power max 30 (fitted with a plug for easy removal) approximately $660 this option allows use of 2 chargers for an increase of $300 which is less than I can purchase a stock cord for a leaf. I can reduce the cost by using a 16 amp level 2 from bosch but I believe the next generation of cars will benefit from the 30A version.

Trying to contain cost since I leased the leaf for 24 months and do not erode my savings on a charger. I maybe to early an adopter to realize a low price on a level 2 charger for the house. Have I missed an option I should consider for a level 2 charger?

So which is it: are you "trying to contain cost...for 24 months" or do you want to prepare for "the next generation of cars"? Both Bosch units are MUCH less expensive than what we had just 12 months ago, so it's all a matter of perspective. I have used my EVSE upgrade unit (on a 220v dryer plug in my garage) since I bought my Leaf, so the requirement to "hook up and stow in car daily" is not part of my routine (and there are more and more public charging locations every month).

There are apparently 3 Bosch models to be available soon, each with different length cords -- 12', 18', and 25'. Before buying any EVSE, and before installing it if it is fixed in place, make sure that the cord length meets your needs!

I have found that 18' is just enough so that a wall-mounted EVSE in a garage 3' back from the door entrance and 2' to the side can reach the Leaf's charging port either way that it is oriented in the garage -- and plenty of leeway if parked outside the garage. If my EVSE only had a 12' cord, it could only reach the port if I backed in -- much more difficult than just driving into the garage because the driveway doesn't go straight into the garage -- and where I can park outside and charge is similarly much more limited. If I had the more common driveway-leading-straight-into-garage configuration the 12' model would have been adequate (but not ideal).

In my case the 25' model would be "over-kill" with little benefit (and in fact cause somewhat more wasted power due to higher resistive losses in the 7' longer 10 gauge charging cable).

The 12' model is the only "16a" model, the other two are "30a". Truthfully, even if the Leaf had a battery pack twice as large (and more powerful charger), for me and I suspect for many others a "16a" EVSE would still be adequate for overnight charging. The biggest need for faster charging ("30a" or QC) for me is usually away from home.

I expect many households with multiple drivers will before long want to have more than one EV, and two "16a" EVSEs is much more likely to be accommodated by your panel/service without an expensive upgrade than two "30a" ones.

Since we don't know where you leave (please add Location information to your Profile under User Control Panel) we can't guess how many hours you have on your discounted power rates nor do we know what climate extremes you are up against. It would also help to know whether your LEAF charges at a maximum of 3.3 kW or 6 kW. I assume you just got a 2013, which will charge at up to 6 kW unless you got the S model without the Charge Package. Note that I have included that information in my signature (also under Profile).

In general, however, I agree with the advice from both Stanton and MikeD. Most people do not need to carry a portable EVSE in their car on a daily basis. The primary exception would be someone with a very long commute and only a 120v outlet available at their work. If that isn't you, you could leave your upgraded EVSE at home, as I do, and unplug it only when you are planning a long trip. And, yes, 16A charging is fast enough at home - three times as fast as 120v charging - for most people. No matter what EV you get in the future a 16A EVSE will give you about 50 miles of range in less than five hours. If you were to get a car with a 150 mile range you would have even less need for a faster EVSE, because you wouldn't need to fill the battery completely every night.

Finally, a note on terminology. The "charger" for your car is built into the car for both 120v and 240v charging. An EVSE is not a charger, but just a fancy, and fairly expensive, safety switch.

Ray

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you are, have a 2013 SV on a two year lease.

I am in the middle of the process with Bosch, had the free in-home estimate and waiting to see how much it will be to have the 30A with the shorter cord.

I have been thinking about the future as well and I anticipate staying with at least one EV moving forward. Someday, would love a Tesla, and I think the Bosch at 30A would be adequate. Although if I can afford a Tesla, I would assume I will be able to afford a major upgrade regarding the home charging station...I hope...

Even if I get another EV in two years I am sure the Bosch will still work well for charging whatever vehicle I go with. If the Bosch unit with installation is just too much, I may go with EVSE upgrade for two years with a 40A 240v outlet and get the adaptor to save a little money now.

Over on the Volt forum there seems to be reports of higher the normal failures of the L2 Voltec EVSE. I wonder if you could buy a failed unit on the cheap and install a DIY EVSE circuit board and reuse the Voltec enclosure and power cord?

I saw this EVSE being advertised for only $99:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1076207974/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LKK said:
I saw this EVSE being advertised for only $99:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1076207974/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That isn't an EVSE for $99, it is the pieces you would need to make one minus the input and output cables. Seems like a scam that they don't even list the prices of the J1772 output cables, they just tell you they have them on their website .. Going to their website it looks like the J1772 with cable will cost $150, though they lie on their website too and say its 32A rating is beyond the max power of any currently available level 2 charging station .. Leviton and probably others make 40A EVSEs.

Anyways, if you got the assembled kit for $199, J1772 for $150, and say $50 for input cable, thats $400. Still cheaper than most EVSEs, but a far cry from their advertised $99 (which they claim more than 4x cheaper than existing level 2 stations). Plus it's not going to be UL listed. If they wanted to claim it's about half the cost, that's fine, but 4x is a lie ..

Don't forget that there is a tax credit for an EVSE that translates into additional savings. We all pay for convenience in nearly everything we do. Those who drive Leafs or other EVs can recharge in 3 to 4 hours with a Level 2 EVSE. I find it to be a tremendous benefit.

EVSE Upgrade, Bosch, Leviton, Siemens are all good options. Amazon and Home Depot are reliable sources. No need to spend a thousand dollars on the AV or Nissan branded units though.

Good luck :cool:

Jbbsquare,

Glad to see your interest in the Bosch Power Max. Level 2 charging truly gives you a better EV driving experience, especially with the Nissan LEAF. Although the particular unit you are interested in is not a plug in, it has many great features and is cost efficient. Bosch is currently offering the Power Max 30 amp 18 ft cord unit to Nissan LEAF customers for only $550 (http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)! But, if you are looking specifically for a plug in unit, we do offer those as well. To view our full product profile visit http://www.pluginnow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call us at 1.877.805.3873 and a Vehicle Charging Advisor will help find the best charging station for you!

Happy Charging,
Katie

EVSolutionsbyBosch said:
Jbbsquare,

Glad to see your interest in the Bosch Power Max. Level 2 charging truly gives you a better EV driving experience, especially with the Nissan LEAF. Although the particular unit you are interested in is not a plug in, it has many great features and is cost efficient. Bosch is currently offering the Power Max 30 amp 18 ft cord unit to Nissan LEAF customers for only $550 (http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)! But, if you are looking specifically for a plug in unit, we do offer those as well. To view our full product profile visit http://www.pluginnow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call us at 1.877.805.3873 and a Vehicle Charging Advisor will help find the best charging station for you!

Happy Charging,
Katie

Please note that all commercial vendors must be forum supporters when posting on this forum. Please see the forum rules under the for sale section. If you are already a forum supporter please let us know. Thank you.

EVSolutionsbyBosch said:
Jbbsquare,

Happy Charging,
Katie

Perhaps you can help me, Katie - I ordered a Bosch Power Max EL-51254 directly from the phone number on your website over a month ago and haven't received it yet. The invoice says "estimated shipping date 6-26-2013" but nothing's arrived so far. I've even written to the customer service email address on the order acknowledgement (over two weeks ago) and have never received an answer back.

Any possibility that you can find out why this order hasn't shipped yet (and if not, can you assist me in cancelling the order?)

Thanks,
George Buce
Sales order #874743

FWIW I viewed the investment in the evse as an investment in the house, not in the car. We now have three evs suckling on a schneider evlink, and expect future vehicles will too assuming j1772 sticks around.

RedwoodGeorge said:
EVSolutionsbyBosch said:
Jbbsquare,

Happy Charging,
Katie

Perhaps you can help me, Katie - I ordered a Bosch Power Max EL-51254 directly from the phone number on your website over a month ago and haven't received it yet. The invoice says "estimated shipping date 6-26-2013" but nothing's arrived so far. I've even written to the customer service email address on the order acknowledgement (over two weeks ago) and have never received an answer back.

Any possibility that you can find out why this order hasn't shipped yet (and if not, can you assist me in cancelling the order?)

Thanks,
George Buce
Sales order #874743

George,

You are in the same boat as many who ordered late June/earlier July. They should be shipping out next week according to Bosch... although it is hard to trust them at this point.

Roy

Just order a Bosch PM 30A w/18' cord, have to pay additional $25 shipping +$3 handling and sales tax.

Back ordered till 2nd week of August.

brickauto said:
Just order a Bosch PM 30A w/18' cord, have to pay additional $25 shipping +$3 handling and sales tax.

I would not trust that time-frame at all! I placed my order on Jun-26 and they initially told me 2 weeks. Called them and they told me 2 more. Called them today and they told me 2 more. I am no genius but I see a pattern forming. There have been VERY few units shipped out.

I am deciding now whether to cancel my order. I may just keep the order and resell it if I get something else.

Roy

I guess that shows that there is demand in this price range as they said not to expect a call back until next week. They were able to bring back to life an old SPX application that I had done for the Volt last year. Decided not to bother then because 110 is fine for the Volt but now that we have added the Leaf it is not going to cut it. I hope that Bosch will succeed by undercutting the market like this. It is about time for prices to come down.

Has anyone worked through an install? I plan to put it right next to my fuse box in the garage and am trying to get an idea what it will cost. When it was SPX their install prices were just silly. Hoping they are planning to improve that as well but it may make more sense to get my own electrician.

brickauto said:

Call today for an order status update, was told my order will be shipping 8/28 :(

Amazon and Home Depot are reliable sources. No need to spend a thousand dollars on the AV or Nissan branded units though.

——————————————————————
Aion Gold

brickauto said:
brickauto said:

Call today for an order status update, was told my order will be shipping 8/28 :(

Got mine this past week and installed it over the weekend. So far so good, it's a simple unit, hardwired with #8 AWG conductors served by a 40A, 2 pole breaker @ 240V, 1 phase (I got the 30A, 18' cord unit). $662 after tax and shipping.

Back