Boardwalk has our level 2 chargers and other goodies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendanDolan

Yesterday was a good LEAF day. Tapped out my allocation at 11:43pm, ordered my own LEAF finally, and AV stopped by to install 4 of these bad boys. One is in front of the showroom, two are in the service bays, and one is outside the service shop in the back.

Chargers001.jpg

Chargers003.jpg

Chargers005.jpg

Inside the service shop

Chargers009.jpg

Across the shop in the other corner

Chargers012.jpg

Outside on the wall

Chargers013.jpg

What's this? LEAF toolbox still in the crate?

Chargers007.jpg

Battery lift came in too.

Chargers010.jpg

Now I just need the cars! :lol:

Very cool. Nice clean install -- on what, concrete wall?

What do you suppose is in that toolbox? Is there a new Consult tool for the Leaf? Any cool dealer-enabled options. (One-touch all door unlock?)

GroundLoop said:

What do you suppose is in that toolbox? Is there a new Consult tool for the Leaf? Any cool dealer-enabled options. (One-touch all door unlock?)

I don't care about the tools....a repair manual with all the geek information, now THAT'S what I'd be looking for!! Wiring diagrams, pin-outs, access methods, the works!! :twisted:

Will some of those be available to the public? I travel alot on 101 and would like to know if I could visit from time to time.

Brendan -

Can you give us some insight into your dealership's thought process of installing four L2 chargers vs. one QC?

I assume you paid way less then $3000+ that we are paying for each L2??

At $3000 each - that's about $12,000 for the ability to charge 4 cars in 8 hours.

We're led to believe that you can get a QC unit for about $17,000-$20,000 which would allow you to charge 16 cars in 8 hours, or 4 cars in 2 hours.

I'm guessing that the real cost of getting a QC unit installed is way higher??

Also - can you guys get a 50% tax break on the entire 4 unit installation - or just on one of the four units? A single QC unit I assume would get the 50% tax credit without question.

Thx.

how would they charge cars without the L3 ports? Also, the L3 charger needs specialized power (208 or 480 3 phase @ 125 amps or so), and they might need a $50-100K electrical system upgrade for that (read: new transformer and service).

I think a business has a much larger tax credit availble as well, I remember hearing up to $50K, with 1/2 of it deductable.

mitch672 said:
how would they charge cars without the L3 ports? Also, the L3 charger needs specialized power (208 or 480 3 phase @ 125 amps or so), and they might need a $50-100K electrical system upgrade for that (read: new transformer and service).

I think a business has a much larger tax credit availble as well, I remember hearing up to $50K, with 1/2 of it deductable.

You're right about the cars without the QC port - still need L2 for that. Forgot about that.

I don't know what's involved in the QC unit install - we had some long conversations about that months ago, but never saw what the actual electric requirements were - lots of debate on it.

Yes - on the tax credit a business is able to get a 50% deduction - I think the credit itself is up to $50k, but it could just be 50% of $50k (too lazy to look it up again right now). But I don't recall if that was on installation of whole slew of chargers at one location (which I think it is) or just one. Guess I should stop posting and go back and read the tax law.

I'd be willing to bet for a Nissan dealer this is more about having the facilities to charge cars in the service dept as needed to complete service work and deliver new cars, and not so much about turning the dealership into an "EV gas station"/nerd hangout.

LakeLeaf said:

At $3000 each - that's about $12,000 for the ability to charge 4 cars in 8 hours.

I thought most quotes were in the 2200 - 2300 range? I've seen some as high as 3K and one as low as 1700 but most seem to be about 2250. That would drop the cost to about 9K to charge 4 cars in 8 hours.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'd be willing to bet for a Nissan dealer this is more about having the facilities to charge cars in the service dept as needed to complete service work and deliver new cars, and not so much about turning the dealership into an "EV gas station"/nerd hangout.

The only place consumers will likely be charging is in the customer parking or waiting area. People should not count on using dealers as part of their "charge network" and only use them in emergencies. I doubt a dealer wants their dock occupied by the same people weekly after a few courtesy visits and there will be Leaf owners that need the dock when at the dealer for legit reasons. Sure, a dear can sponsor a "nerd" gathering and free charging at times.

really? Even in the beginning before the Level 3 stations start sprouting up? Here in LA, esp. the west side of town where I live, most people rent. I know that the charger at the Toyota dealership by me will be my charging network initially. Like it or not, they're gonna see a whole lot of me in the next couple of months so get ready! :lol:

My "preferred dealer" said that when I purchase the car from him, the chargers on site would be available for me as long as I own the car. I'm not sure exactly what that means or what hours will be available (the only time I'm likely to go past there might be early morning or late evening). I'm not sure how they will police who is using the chargers if they wanted it only for cars they sold. Since it only charges at 13 miles per hour, it wont really get me very far when the dealer is 35 miles from here. The main places I'd go near there (mall and airport) all have chargers in the lot, so I'll just park there and charge while i'm on my errands. Now if they install a level 3 charger, I might be able to do more when I'm up there and use the dealers charger to make sure I can get home. He did imply they were going to install a level 3 charger, but I have not spoken with him since to know for sure.

malloryk said:
really? Even in the beginning before the Level 3 stations start sprouting up? Here in LA, esp. the west side of town where I live, most people rent. I know that the charger at the Toyota dealership by me will be my charging network initially. Like it or not, they're gonna see a whole lot of me in the next couple of months so get ready! :lol:

Meaning, most dealer insurance does not cover customers parking in the service area or even driving a car in. Smart dealers have already put a time limit on charging for X months, I could virtually charge at my dealer every day, because it is right next to a place I visit often, not sure that would go over well. They sure don't fill your tank every time you come in in an ICE. They do pay for electricity and an L3 being used 6 hours a day can add up.

BrendanDolan said:
Yesterday was a good LEAF day. Tapped out my allocation at 11:43pm, ordered my own LEAF finally, and AV stopped by to install 4 of these bad boys. One is in front of the showroom, two are in the service bays, and one is outside the service shop in the back.

Chargers003.jpg

Brendan,
are these 15' or 25' cords? They look like 15', but I would think that 25' would make more sense at the dealership...

Bill

GroundLoop said:

Two of them went through concrete walls. I have no clue what's in the toolbox, and the techs wouldn't let me open it. :lol:

MaryC said:
Will some of those be available to the public? I travel alot on 101 and would like to know if I could visit from time to time.

We'd love to have you stop by and top up. :D

LakeLeaf said:
Brendan -

Can you give us some insight into your dealership's thought process of installing four L2 chargers vs. one QC?

We're led to believe that you can get a QC unit for about $17,000-$20,000 which would allow you to charge 16 cars in 8 hours, or 4 cars in 2 hours.

I'm guessing that the real cost of getting a QC unit installed is way higher??

Also - can you guys get a 50% tax break on the entire 4 unit installation - or just on one of the four units? A single QC unit I assume would get the 50% tax credit without question.

Thx.

One QC is veeeery expensive, and IIRC from my conversation with my owner, the tax breaks were different since it was a dealership. He owns the property next door too, and he's thinking of doing a PV array on it, and adding a QC over there.

LTLFTcomposite said:

What's wrong with a nerd hangout? I'm a nerd. :lol:

mwalsh said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
not so much about turning the dealership into an "EV gas station"/nerd hangout.

But still, the dealers are obligated to make at least one available to customers (the public?).

Nice stuff, BTW, Brendan!

Thanks! I'm sure any of ours will be available, well, at least any of the other three since my car will be on the 4th. HOA wont allow me to install one at my condo, so I'm charging at work.
Electric4Me said:
BrendanDolan said:

Chargers003.jpg

Brendan,
are these 15' or 25' cords? They look like 15', but I would think that 25' would make more sense at the dealership...

Bill

I think they are 15 footers Bill. The one outside the showroom is in such a spot that only one car can be there at a time, the two service bays are single slots, and the other one that's outside and around back is the only one that a 25' cord would make more sense. Guess that one will just have priority parking for EV's. :lol:

Do you have a 120 outlet to charge on? I would like to stop by and charge for 19-20 hours and have some coffee in your lounge. I assume you have free snacks for L1 charging folks, I suggest a buffet and various drink options as well as a TV and wifi. Looking forward to that.

EVDRIVER said:
Do you have a 120 outlet to charge on? I would like to stop by and charge for 19-20 hours and have some coffee in your lounge. I assume you have free snacks for L1 charging folks, I suggest a buffet and various drink options as well as a TV and wifi. Looking forward to that.

you are of course being facitious, we get it. There are limits to everyones generosity of course.
I think YOU should bring the dealership the free snacks :)

I suspect that a good part of the decision is that there are only going to be a limited number of Leafs with L3 capability. I expect that the majority will be those that qualified for the EV Project and got it for free.

GroundLoop said:
Can you give us some insight into your dealership's thought process of installing four L2 chargers vs. one QC?.

[/quote]

Back