BMW M3 to Leaf? Yes...it happened.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

co2lol

Took delivery of a 2014 SL with the premium package on 4/30/14. Silver with the Ford color option of Black leather. Previous (and still in the garage) car is a 1997 BMW M3 sedan that I have had for five years. Hard to make the switch, but it's the grown up/parent thing to do :cry: Haha!

After several days now I have to say I really like the thing. It is just so smart for the $. I think everyone has trouble when they see the MSRP because they can't do the math. As a financial analyst, I have to say this is one of the best bang for the $ out there...as long as the $7,500 continues. I chose to lease...which hurt my brain...but the big thing is I don't want to be holding the bag if something magical comes from the unicorn tears Nissan is harvesting into their technology right now. Who knows...but I'm covered. Might hand them cash in a few years and keep it.

Oh and the numbers: 36 mo / 12k year / $0 down (except the first month) / $369 a month / $15k residual. Seemed pretty decently good considering the car has every option available and sticker is $37k+. Payments, cost of financing and residual are under $29k total.

Now to chose the charging options....EVSEUpgrade high power option or the ClipperCreek HCS-40 30amp direct wire? Kicking those two around. Thoughts?

Yep.

Personally, I'd install an 80 amp EVSE if you have the room on your circuit. Never know when you'll have a friend come over in a Model S or when you'll want to upgrade.

coolfilmaker: What do you recommend if one decides on a 2nd Leaf (say, after a few months)?

Well, you would already have the wiring for 80 amps of current so you could downrate the first EVSE and install a second.

As for a second LEAF -- we have two electrics and never have a problem charging one and then the other over the course of an evening/night with a single EVSE. But if you're installing new, sure, go with the largest amperage circuit you can install, for future-proofing!

Not to hijack your thread but in a similar fashion I traded in my 05 Mustang GT for a lease on a still new 13 Leaf SL. Everyone thought I was crazy but I really enjoy driving the Leaf. I also had to wrap my head around a lease but there are just so many advancements with EVs that I wanted the extra insurance of a fixed value when I am done with the vehicle. Maybe by the time my lease is up the middle class Tesla will be out. :D

I, too, went from a BMW (1999 528i) to the LEAF and I think the LEAF is a way more fun car, not to mention that there's no place to put gas in it. I rarely drive more than 75 miles at a stretch so I haven't missed the reduction in range either. Yopu're right to be anticipating another EV in your future--we now have two. One uses the home EVSE (Leviton 3.6) and the other is charged at work. Congratulations on making the jump!

Back