Blitz ZZR suspension

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan

I purchased a set of Leaf specific suspension from Japan and installed it over the weekend.

It is a Blitz ZZR setup with 32 way adjustable shocks, 5kg/mm front springs and 4.5kg/mm rear springs. Cost was just under $1000AUD (around 100,000yen).

leaf_zzr.jpg

leaf_zzr_front.jpg

leaf_zzr_rear.jpg

hope there was nothing important written in these

leaf_zzr_instructions.jpg

They were simple to install, no tricks other than needing tiny hands to get at the front top shock bolts. I used the factory spring height which gave me a 30mm drop from factory (400mm down to 370mm from centre of wheel to the guard).

leaf_zzr_front_in.jpg

leaf_zzr_rear_in.jpg

The change in handling has been excellent and exactly what I was hoping for. The springs are not too firm (the main reason I choose this kit) and the shocks are well matched at about 10/32 adjustment.

Body roll is substantially reduced and the car is a lot more predicable (no more of that weird roll oversteer or plough understeer). No issues with the various traction and stability systems.

Also as an interesting side note, the new setup is 40% lighter than factory (5kg front + 4kg rear become 3kg front + 2.5kg rear)

Very Nice !

Would love to see a side picture that shows the wheel wells.

ALSO !!!!! YOU HAVE A SPARE

Am more envious of the spare than the suspension now.

PV2leaf said:
Very Nice !
ALSO !!!!! YOU HAVE A SPARE

Am more envious of the spare than the suspension now.

:lol:
but I don't get that rear diffuser setup the US cars seem to have :(

I'll organise a before and after shot for ride height on the weekend, new springs need to settle for a few days.

Sorry drees I don't know how to multiquote on this forum, but from the pics the setup looks identical. That other post confirms the same spring rates and 32 way adjustment on the front (and I assume the rear) on the other kit.....it's probably the same factory and the paint colour and stickers the only difference.

Which is very good news for you guys if that brand is readily available in the US, they aren't in Oz.

Duncan said:
Sorry drees I don't know how to multiquote on this forum
You have to do it manually, I usually hit the quote button into new tabs and then copy/paste/edit as needed.

Duncan said:
Which is very good news for you guys if that brand is readily available in the US, they aren't in Oz.
Unfortunately, nothing right now is readily available unless you ship from Japan. I don't think there's quite enough interest.

I'm just glad that there are multiple companies selling what appears to be the identical product and it seems to be much better than the Tein street basis setup which seems to be acceptable at best.

This kit is identical to my Megan Racing Kit. I just checked the numbers on the springs and they match!

Sure can.

Actually I sourced it from an expat Aussie who has been living in japan and running an export business for some years, Jesse Streeter. While it sounds like the dodgiest and smallest setup you'd ever here about he is excellent, has been in business for years, is dead cheap and I've never heard of an unhappy customer.

He sources from yahoo auctions japan for hard to get second hand gear, and also has direct accounts with major suppliers including Nissan and Blitz. I ordered some leaf option parts (blue LED front logo, light up kick plates and floor mats) as well as these shocks. He got them from the suppliers at an excellent price, was transparent about his (small) fee and the exchange rates, and sent them across quickly. He also helped with the initial research on potential kits, and made sure he got the right part# from Nissan too.

Jesse's contact is: [email protected], don't be afraid to deal with a little guy who does the right thing :)

Armadillo, I agree they are almost certainly the same kit, but those spring markings are reasonably common....they had the same notation on the eibachs I bought for the race car too, I am not sure of what they all mean except the last part is kg/mm, ie the rate of the spring.

eglee413 said:
i like how these rear shocks are "made" for the car versus my bc and megans which adjust.

not sure what you mean there mate, as far as I can see all 3 have the same or very similar setup. They did come preset with a good ride height (-30mm) but they can all adjust up or down by a fair bit

it looks like your rear shocks are not adjustable. there is no collar that can thread up and down to extend the shock to fit multiple applications.

i loved how the tein's were that way. you knew the shock was made for your car. Your rears look like that too.
on the megan and bc there is a nut at the base of the rear shock that locks the length into place so that it can fit into the car.

minor issue, but with the blitz were made for the leaf.

the best thing is there are multiple options now out there versus being stuck with just one. any pics of the car?

notice in this pic, right under the sticker the piece that extends to bolt into the arms. it looks like a fixed piece.
leaf_zzr_rear_in.jpg

if you look at my bc's there is nut in the same location and that nut locks the threaded bottom in place after you decide where the shock length needs to be.
see mine has a square looking nut which is sitting on a threaded bolt.

eglee413 said:
notice in this pic, right under the sticker the piece that extends to bolt into the arms. it looks like a fixed piece.

if you look at my bc's there is nut in the same location and that nut locks the threaded bottom in place after you decide where the shock length needs to be.
see mine has a square looking nut which is sitting on a threaded bolt.
To adjust the ride height, you adjust the assemble above the spring shown in the second picture. Adjusting the shock will not alter ride height.

-Phil

eglee413 said:
i like how these rear shocks are "made" for the car versus my bc and megans which adjust.
Adjustability is actually a plus in my mind - it lets you adjust the travel of the shocks based on your ride height. Damping rates throughout the stroke range of the shock not usually linear.

Ahh OK I understand now. Yes the rear shock length is not adjustable and was pretty close to the original shock length. That does make fitting easier but obviously has no impact on ride height.

The ride height is adjustable by the collars on the spring mount.

I've haven't got any pics yet, but will do so on the weekend....need to test fit some bigger wheels as well.

this does not adjust ride height as there are threaded sleeves up towards the top of the shock.

my interpretation of this is just the manufacturer can use this unit to fit mutliple applications as it can lengthen and shorten to different cars.

by having it fixed just makes me feel as if the shock was actually designed or should i say altered to effectively fit one application... the leaf. Thats why the build of the Teins were by far the best, b/c you knew it was made for a leaf specifically.

more of minor quirk and less to do with the functionality of the unit.

knowing the differences of all these coilovers out there, i probably would have opted for the blitz.

Duncan's friend Jesse gave me this quote for a Blitz kit:

Code:
Blitz ZZ-R Coil Over for Nissan Leaf
91520yen

If shipped by Sea Post (shipping time 6-9 weeks)
Rough Total in JPY:     ¥109,500
Rough TOTAL in AUD:     $1,123  *depending on exchange rate.

Rough costs on that would be something like this...

Cost of item    ¥91,520
Ship item to me ¥0
Bank fee to pay seller  ¥630
My commission   ¥6,400
Shipping to Aus, Europe or US via Sea Post assuming     22.0 kg         ¥10,950
* (I could be off with the weight but what ever it costs to send Ill
pass on to you)

ROUGH TOTAL in JPY:     ¥109,500
*If not in Aus or you would prefer to use PAYPAL: plus paypal fees      ¥113,811
ROUGH TOTAL in AUD if paid into my NAB account: $1,123
*depending on exchange rate.  current rate is   100.8

*NOTE:  I get ~3.3yen lower rate than the posted rate on the day when
I access my Australian account through the International ATM.
That's about $1100 USD delivered. I found a different version from Blitz here in California, but it's got the rear coilovers, which the LEAF was not engineered for, and it's a lot more $.

-Phil

yep that's the same price I paid in yen. obviously the exchange rates move around a little.

and imagine a business only charging 5.8% margin/commission (6,400yen)

good on him

Back