Blink Charge From 5 -10 Bars in One Hour Thirty Minutes!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFfan

Today (Sun.) after I arrived home around 4 PM, I noticed I had 5 bars left out of 10 that I had started with on this charge. So I connected the Blink right away figuring it would be at least 2-3 hours (dash said 4 hours to 80%) to 80% (83%). I received a text message an hour and a half later from CarWings that the charging was stopped so I thought the Blink had been interrupted, but when I checked, there were 10 bars and CarWings also showed 83% and 10 bars as well in the email. Blink also showed an hour and a half of charging. Can someone please tell me how this was possible? I've never had it charge 5-10 bars in such a short time.

Couldn't this be due to the higher efficiency of the charging when the pack is at a lower state of charge and the BMS regulating how fast it can be charged according to its voltage? By design, charging slows down as the battery gets closer to being topped out, doesn't it? I have noticed the same thing when "topping up" during the day, the few times I have done it. The first hour seems to add far more range than each additional hour.

Not an expert, I'm just guessing here. :D

TT

I could have charged from 5.9 bars to 10.1 bars ... only a bit over 4 bars, or about 8 kWh, which should take about 2.5 hours.

You got the message later, and you assume 1.5 hours from the time mentioned IN the body of the Email, right?

Assume the time at Blink's system, server, or whatever is incorrect by one hour.

That could make the charging time actually about 2.5 hours.

Since it is not possible to charge that fast if all the data is correct ... some of the data must be incorrect. Most likely, the time.

garygid said:
I could have charged from 5.9 bars to 10.1 bars ... only a bit over 4 bars, or about 8 kWh, which should take about 2.5 hours.
You got the message later, and you assume 1.5 hours from the time mentioned IN the body of the Email, right?
Assume the time at Blink's system, server, or whatever is incorrect by one hour.
That could make the charging time actually about 2.5 hours.
Since it is not possible to charge that fast if all the data is correct ... some of the data must be incorrect. Most likely, the time.

The Blink always shows the correct time and still does, nothing has changed there. The start time was 4 PM as I noted and the text came to my cell at 5:30 PM. That's when I checked and thought something happened as there would be no way it could be 80% charged, but it was! I know it seems impossible, but it happened and now I would like to know if a surge in voltage could have sped it up or what could have caused this. I do have one strange theory, but I'll wait and see if there's a 'normal' explanation first. I've charged many times from 5 bars to 10 and it NEVER did it in one and a half hours, not even close. I also remember seeing that the cost for the one and a half hours was $ .70. Normally, I usually get 2-3 bars in an hour and a half. I really hope someone can come up with an explanation for this.

TonyWilliams said:
Please tell us home many kWh's the Blink thinks it pumped in your car.

That's the strange part! The screen said about 70 cents worth which would have been 5.25kW h. The last time I charged from 5 bars to 10 it took about 2 1/2 hours and used almost 9kW h.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
Please tell us home many kWh's the Blink thinks it pumped in your car.

That's the strange part! The screen said about 70 cents worth which would have been 5.25kW h. The last time I charged from 5 bars to 10 it took about 2 1/2 hours and used almost 9kW h.

Log online and see what the actual charge was:

www.blinknetwork.com

My Chargers

(manage)

CHARGES

My typical charge is from 4-5 to 10 bars in about 1 hour 45 min... I can easily see that if you had just dropped down to 5 bars it would only take 1:30 to get back up to 80%.

Probably the car isn't correctly calculating the SOC either at 5 bars or 10 bars or both. Try charging to 100%. (The Leaf top balances, right?).

TonyWilliams said:

I'm one step ahead of ya! I tried earlier, but it hasn't recorded it yet. Since I charged it yesterday, how long does it take to register on the website under the 'history'. The last date showing is Aug. 12 and there has been no 'errors' since then.

drees said:
My typical charge is from 4-5 to 10 bars in about 1 hour 45 min... I can easily see that if you had just dropped down to 5 bars it would only take 1:30 to get back up to 80%.

How many kW hs does it put in from 5 bars to 10? This is the first time it has charged that many bars in a short time. Even from 6-10 bars it takes a min. of two hours for me usually.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:

I'm one step ahead of ya! I tried earlier, but it hasn't recorded it yet. Since I charged it yesterday, how long does it take to register on the website under the 'history'. The last date showing is Aug. 12 and there has been no 'errors' since then.

I don't know that, but... you can access the Blink directly through its intranet IP address. It should have the data there.

LEAFfan said:
drees said:
How many kW hs does it put in from 5 bars to 10? This is the first time it has charged that many bars in a short time. Even from 6-10 bars it takes a min. of two hours for me usually.
Seems to vary a decent amount - depending on how far I go exactly and how efficiently I'm able to drive, here are some numbers from the past 2 weeks (time / power):

1:41 - 6.2 kWh
1:50 - 6.8 kWh
2:01 - 7.3 kWh
2:03 - 7.6 kWh
1:35 - 5.8 kWh
1:29 - 5.5 kWh

All of those should be from around 4-5 bars to 10 bars. Don't recall exactly - the ones closest to 1:30 I know I had just dropped into the 5 bar before getting home.

Back