Better 12 volt charging after P5327 recall?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpadc

I have been watching this for awhile now and ever since I had the P5327 recall done (which I understand to be some software fix for the relay in an electronic brake booster) I've noticed (according to LeafSpy Pro) that my car is spending a lot more time charging the 12 volt battery, that is the DC/DC converter spends way more time outputting over 14 volts (more like on an ICE vehicle) than it did prior to the update. It also has been colder here, but not below freezing until very recently. I know TomT, Nubo, and others here speculated that the software update may cycle the relay more in cold temps to keep it from freezing so I'm wondering if part of that was reprograming the charging protocol to keep outputting higher voltages to support the cycling.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior (assuming you run LeafSpy Pro all the time or otherwise monitor battery voltage)?

It may simply be that the software fix, by causing the relay to cycle often in the cold, is causing enough of a battery drain to trigger charging more often and thus, ironically, improving the overall state of charge...

I'm not sure what triggers it but when it got cold here I too noticed that the battery was spending more time at 14 volts but this was unrelated to to brake update as it doesn't apply to my 2011.

QueenBee said:
I'm not sure what triggers it but when it got cold here I too noticed that the battery was spending more time at 14 volts but this was unrelated to to brake update as it doesn't apply to my 2011.
Well I did not notice that last winter on my 2013, but it was still pretty new and I can't say I was tracking it then all that carefully until I read about all the problems others were having with their 12 volt batteries and charging voltages for the LEAF. It does not seem to be the case that LeafSpy Pro track that piece of data in the log file because then I'd have it for comparison.

Well yesterday it was up to 45 degrees in Indy and sure enough, LeafSpy Pro reports that the 12 volt status while running was back down between 12.96 and 13.04. So , when its warm outside its back to not keeping the voltage high enough to effectively cjharge the 12 volt battery. So now I really wish I new what happened with that last January and February when I was attending to the 12 volt status in Leaf Spy Pro because I didn't know then that I should. So now I don't know if its something that is different since the P5327 recall or not :oops:

Back