best way to protect seats?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaduman

Bought the leaf two days ago, thrilled!

In particular, the back seats will be ravaged by the kids and the white/light cloth interior is going to be really messed up. Is the Wet okole the only good option? Don't want to pay $300+ (for front and back), but again, if that is the only way, so be it.

Any advice would be great.

thanks
PN

My LEAF seat covers are 19 months old, with plenty of kid traffic.

I had them treated with an industrial "Scotch Guard" type of product and have wiped them down a few times with a damp cloth. They look great, even better than I expected after all this time.

Why not apply a protectant, and give it some time? You can always get covers later if you need to....

I would advise strongly against using ScotchGuard, especially if it's exposed to children. PFBS isn't as bad as PFOS (primary ingredient in the old ScotchGuard formula), but according to EWG:

Health Effects related to pfbs (perfluorobutane sulfonate): Biochemical or cellular level changes, Birth or developmental effects, Brain and nervous system, Cancer, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Persistent and bioaccumulative, Reproduction and fertility.

the seats as is clean up relatively well if caught somewhat early. i put nothing on my seats since i also have a child and i shy away from all that crap because if it says "dont inhale" then i dont use in places where i will be inhaling. pretty basic rule

There's already some other threads on the topic, but after a year and a couple of months, I've been very satisfied with the covers I picked up for < $50.00 from Amazon.com. More details in my post on another thread. Thanks to evnow for the original post.

41SEr9%2BlGPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've had great luck with Wet Okole and the color accents look good in an otherwise bland interior. I only did the front seats since the back hardly ever get used. I actually got blood on them when they were relatively new (cut my finger), but it cleaned right up. Yes, they are expensive, but (as they say) you get what you pay for.

My usual backseat passenger is a 170-lb American Mastiff service dog. She goes anywhere my Wife goes, and sometimes gets exercised with muddy walks in the park, etc... The Wet Okoles were really the way to go!

The back seats will absolutely not get "ravaged" with these on, unless you let your kids play with power tools back there. :lol:

p.s. the "Camouflage" pattern does a great job hiding dirt. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 198
thanks for all the great suggestions. I am inclined to buy a cloth car seat cover that spices up the dull interior a bit. No idea how these would look though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-N...Nissan|Model:Leaf&hash=item3cc43415bf&vxp=mtr

Also wouldn't seat covers interfere with side airbags that are installed on the seat-sides? They would now have to break through the original seat covers and also the additional seat covers - may render them useless (less likely, considering their deploy-force is very high).

phaduman said:
thanks for all the great suggestions. I am inclined to buy a cloth car seat cover that spices up the dull interior a bit. No idea how these would look though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-N...Nissan|Model:Leaf&hash=item3cc43415bf&vxp=mtr

Also wouldn't seat covers interfere with side airbags that are installed on the seat-sides? They would now have to break through the original seat covers and also the additional seat covers - may render them useless (less likely, considering their deploy-force is very high).

Definitely look for seat covers that are airbag-compatible. They are designed to allow the airbags to deploy.

Back