Best place to buy an extended warranty for nissan leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guys,

I have been reading around and it seems that looking for an extended warranty online is the better option instead of going into the dealer. Also, from what I read people point over to vaden nissan's website for the better rates. Looking at their website they have this:

New Nissan LEAF Plans

Security+Plus® Gold Preferred: Exclusionary coverage of approximately 900 components.
Security+Plus® Silver Preferred: Listed component coverage of up to 600 items.

Pre-Owned Nissan LEAF Plans

Security+Plus® Pre-Owned Preferred: Covers up to 650 components and available in terms up to 84 months from original in-service date or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.
Security+Plus® Pre-Owned Plus: Additive terms that cover up to 500 components, available in all current Pre-Owned Plus terms.

Obviously since my leaf is preowned I can only pick up the last two on the list. I understand I should get the contract with the specific components I want to be covered but... I am not entirely sure which components I want to have covered. My best guess would be the more covered the better but that also means a higher price.... Would you guys be able to suggest either the Security+Plus® Pre-Owned Preferred or Security+Plus® Pre-Owned Plus?

Just to be on the safer side I tried to use their website's quote feature but it said their mailings are not active. So I guess I should give them a call ... which I will do. While I wait does anybody know of any other place with affordable warranties for the nissan leaf?

Just stumbled on this while looking around the web:

"Your vehicle is considered "New" as long as it is still covered by the 36 month / 36,000mi Factory Nissan Warranty. "

Does this sound accurate? I always thought a car was used after it drove off the lot?

I got a quote from Santa Rosa Nissan:

LEAF Gold Preferred 24 Month 40,000 Mile Coverage
CODE: 90883
$306.00

Nissan Security+Plus coverage to protect your Nissan once the factory Nissan Warranty expires: LEAF Gold Preferred 24 Month 40,000 Mile Coverage ($0 Deductible)

$0 Deductible:

and also

LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage
CODE: 90885
$390.00

Nissan Security+Plus coverage to protect your Nissan once the factory Nissan Warranty expires: LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage ($0 Deductible)

$0 Deductible:

But as you see it is listed for 'new' vehicles because of the gold preferred. They gave me other quotes for more miles and more time but I don't think I would need anymore than the end of 2016 to be ale to move onto another vehicle. Just trying to save money but if something breaks I would like to be covered.... If I don't use it I think I can get some money back on a pro-rated value....

Do these quotes look good to you guys?

Generally you can buy the extended warranty until the factory warranty expires, i.e. 36 months / 36,000 miles for the Leaf, so while the car is not "New" should you decide to sell it you can add the same extended warranty that you can buy on the day you purchased the car. This can be restricted to the original owner of the car, not sure, something to check if it applies to you.

As for the warranty itself, from my experience you rarely get your money back. Sure it gives you a piece of mind but more often than total the cost of repairs you do under the extended warranty ends up being less than what you paid for it, even if you got a great deal on the warranty.

Keep in mind that the battery pack will not be covered by the extended warranty any more than it already is by the 5 year/60,000 mile capacity loss and 8 year/100,000 mile manufacturing defects coverage from the factory.

As for coverage, I'd make sure that the parts of the EV drivetrain are covered, such as the motor, the Inverter, the onboard charger, as well as the heating/cooling system. If they are not I wouldn't bother buying it.

I guess I don't understand: you are trying to buy a 2 or 3 year extended warranty on a car that is still within it's original 3/36k warranty period? As for prices, those are about half of what I purchased for an 8-year extended warranty (not bad given it's 4 years later). If you are only looking to get through the next year, I wouldn't even bother.

It's a lot of "ifs" but IF I get a better incentive to keep my car, and IF I decide to do so, I would then be very interested in a $300 warranty that extended the factory warranty for two more years. My warranty (excepting major drive train parts) will end with my lease extension, in May.

Valdemar said:
LeftieBiker said:
Also the brake booster

No kidding: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21203

Geez 2700 for the brake booster assembly and 1000 for a single head light:

mark1313 said:
We have the extended warranty ..... Im not saying buy it, but Leaf parts are very expensive .... We had a headlight go out last year .....I was told parts and labor were close to $1000.00 ..... @ that time I was told only 5 headlights had failed in Leafs .....

I'm not a crazy driver with the leaf but I certanly am not gentle with it... I have a feeling something could pop out if I do a crazy maneuver often enough Granted I am thinking on only keeping the car till august.. doing 1200 miles a month... which is about average for an american.... I think i wil just snatch the extended warranty if the price is no better price

Back