Best car I've ever driven.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LEAF is probably not the best car that I've ever driven, but for its intended purpose, it is nearly flawless.

I always open up discussions about the LEAF with something like this - The LEAF is a situationally specific vehicle, but if you fit the situation, it's almost perfect.

I drove our 2004 Nissan Quest today for the first time in awhile, and it felt heavy, sluggish and non-responsive. I have seen many complain of the "light" steering effort in the LEAF. After having the LEAF for a couple of months and getting into the Quest, the Quest steering felt extremely "heavy" by comparison. My wife and I are both extremely pleased with our decision to incorporate the LEAF into our transportation plan - for many reasons.

I see a number of people comparing the Leaf to the Prius and commenting on how much better the Leaf drives. I should hope so. One of the reasons I never bought a Prius is that everyone of them I drove left me completely cold. I thought they were all boring, uninvolving and compromised. No soul of any kind. I simply didn't need to save gas that bad...

EVDrive said:
+1 on the Leaf being the best car I have driven and a loss of excitement for driving my wife's Prius. The Prius handles really poorly in comparison, sounds like it may die when I drive it up a steep hill and it rumbles and vibrates when we're out n about. I used to think my 08 Prius was a sweet ride though... not a bad choice before the Leaf, but now there is no comparison on fun to drive... the Leaf wins.
[/quote]

Yeah, I sure hate it when I get in to our Acura or BMW and can actually feel the road! :lol:

LEAFguy said:
I have seen many complain of the "light" steering effort in the LEAF. After having the LEAF for a couple of months and getting into the Quest, the Quest steering felt extremely "heavy" by comparison.

Add my affirmation to cdub's basic statement.

For it's design purpose - 5-passenger, around town transportation - I have to agree there is no car that comes close to its comfort, quietness, ease in maneuvering in parking lots, power, and most of all that its motive force is almost pure electrons.

It also beats every similarly designed ICE vehicle I've ever owned or driven when driving mountainous roads with lots of twisting up and downhill turns where in an ICE you were always struggling to keep the engine RPM's in the power zone to avoid lugging or down-shifting to get engine braking. The Leaf is awesome with its torque, single speed, and regen braking. And that so-called "too light steering" allows you to control your lane position precisely in those tight turns and maintain it. Did I mention awesome?!

No of course it's not perfect, and it's not a race car, and sigh, if only it had another 50-miles of range, but the daily drive is truly a joy now - at least for me. Ah, loving it!!! :D

I guess one person's "struggle" is another person's joy! :lol: Now just give me real steering and a proper suspension with more damping...

BnBinSD said:
It also beats every similarly designed ICE vehicle I've ever owned or driven when driving mountainous roads with lots of twisting up and downhill turns where in an ICE you were always struggling to keep the engine RPM's in the power zone to avoid lugging or down-shifting to get engine braking.

Cdub, I am so glad you started this thread. I was going to start one like: "Let's hear it for the Leaf!"

This is a great forum, but I fear that many people will read it and see the nit-picking that is going on and get the wrong idea.

This is a fantastic first effort for a major auto manufacturer. I look forward to a Z electric to hush the sports car lovers.

This was built for everyone, and anyone. It does the job of being simple, yet it is sophisticatied. Quiet, yet inspiring. Subtle to the eye, it doesn't stand out as different, yet it is.

My last electric bill was $51 - total. I can't fill my truck's tank for that, and I drove at least 800 miles last month.

I broke 3000 miles today, and each and every mile has been a joy. I look forward to putting more miles on it, and while I find the range perfectly adequate for 95% of my driving, I want to drive it more than I do. Before I owned this vehicle I hated driving, doing it a lot but always dreading it. Now if I can do it in the Leaf, I am happy to go, even finding excuses to go out in it.

The Joy Ride is Back!!!

Caracalover said:
I look forward to putting more miles on it, and while I find the range perfectly adequate for 95% of my driving, I want to drive it more than I do. Before I owned this vehicle I hated driving, doing it a lot but always dreading it. Now if I can do it in the Leaf, I am happy to go, even finding excuses to go out in it.

The Joy Ride is Back!!!

I feel the same way - just got back from a ride with the three children. We have been looking for reasons to go out and ride around listening to music while driving aimlessly. Today we were almost back home and my eldest suggested "..Lets take the long way, up and around the hill." while she selected another song on her iPod touch - bluetooth connected to the Leaf.

I like this car better than my old favorite - 1987 Mercedes 300TD Diesel Wagon. One of the best engineered Benz' ever. OK, well maybe my old 1964 Corvair (unsafe at any speed) was a close second. Then there was my 1970 MG Convertible, my first car; fun car when it worked. Wait, there was my 1965 Corvair Corsa Coupe with the four carburetors; my Alfa Romeo Killer.

Let's say the LEAF is my new favorite.

The LEAF will likely be my favorite, based on my all-to-brief experience will the Hertz LEAF, at some undefined time in the future when Nissan sees fit to sell me one.

Plus my "guns" are suffering....there is nothing to stop my muscles becoming all girlyfied now! :lol:

mogur said:
Yeah, I sure hate it when I get in to our Acura or BMW and can actually feel the road! :lol:

LEAFguy said:
I have seen many complain of the "light" steering effort in the LEAF. After having the LEAF for a couple of months and getting into the Quest, the Quest steering felt extremely "heavy" by comparison.

Perhaps we could attach one of those exercise spring thngies to the wheel to increase the effort AND degirlyfy us all at the same time! :p

mwalsh said:
Plus my "guns" are suffering....there is nothing to stop my muscles becoming all girlyfied now! :lol:

mogur said:

LEAFguy said:

Back