Bay Area: Second meter from PG&E

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxp said:
waitingforaleaf said:
Well, I have what's likely to be the "easiest" install for an E9b (meter is connected to outside wall of garage with the electrical panel inside the garage about 25 ft away) and was estimated $1000 for install of the meter (+ whatever PG&E charges). With my predicted usage, I think I'll break even with E9a after 5 years. Not so sure if I want to deal with the extra hassle involved since there's always the chance I'll actually move out prior to this break even point.

Hi waitingforaleaf,

Could u pls send some pics of what your 2nd meter install looks like?
I agree with Taxidan that having a 2nd meter helps simplify the usage reporting more accurately.

Here is what I did.
IMAG0051.jpg

Bigger:https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iLf-Uzr_vGbMHUy2YxP3Ag?feat=directlink

This is not a PG&E meter it is just for me to measure what I'm consuming. As you can see, the meter is installed between the breaker in the panel and the EVSE.

I'm going to go for the E9B though...

Spies said:
Wait you are on E7 now? If it was me I would wait at least a year once I had an EV before changing anything like adding a second meter to collect usage data. I just don't see how paying to add a second meter to someone that has solar and on E7 would save anything in the end.

Thinking about it for a moment I guess it could save if one was already in the higher tiers on E7 would be one way. Still I would want real usage data before spending on a second meter.

I think it will save money just because the EV won't be on the top tier of the off-peak E7, and I'll have two baselines...

Finally, my 2nd meter is fully operational today. The whole process was definitely interesting to say the least....

Nate from Captive Fuel did my installation. His price quote was very reasonable and he was really great to work with. I highly recommend him for anyone who wants to do a 2nd meter in the SF Bay Area.

Now I can finally enjoy Off Peak 6 cents per kW/h E9B rates! Yay!

mxp said:
Finally, my 2nd meter is fully operational today. The whole process was definitely interesting to say the least....

Nate from Captive Fuel did my installation. His price quote was very reasonable and he was really great to work with. I highly recommend him for anyone who wants to do a 2nd meter in the SF Bay Area.

Now I can finally enjoy Off Peak 6 cents per kW/h E9B rates! Yay!

Please post or PM me his contact information. How much did he charge for it. Did he coordinate with PG&E, or did you?

One other variable you haven't included is the daily charge for the second meter. That works out to about $80/year.[/quote]

I have the PG&E E9B rate in Angels Camp and the meter charge only happens if you don't use any electricity. I never get charged for the meter and my bill for the past two months charging to 100% from 1 to 2 bars has been about $19.00/month. ;)[/quote]

Glenn, can you confirm that you don't have a meter charge? The PG & E rep says differently. I assume you have a GE model? Is that considered by PG & E as a "smart meter" ?

And, can you help explain the baseline amount on the 2nd meter? Is that kWh baseline quantity the same amount allocated on the primary meter? The baseline are not split, I sure hope. I read somewhere that the 2nd meter gets it's own baseline amount, but it was not clear what that baseline allocated amount is.

Hope you can help explain it a little better... Thanks!

Back